TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429343944495459109 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod

Hey Dark Mod team: I'm sure you are probably already aware of this, but just in case, for information sharing purposes...

Open up AICore.t3u. In a hex editor or notepad even - there's plenty of untouched plain text to see. Anyway, in searching around for new stuff to modify (unsuccessfully so far), I found out that this file could be very useful for listing the possible states for AIs. Here's an example of what can be found within.

-------------
    enum EStateType
    {
    // AICore states
    STATE_NONE,
    STATE_IDLE,
    STATE_GREEN_ALERT,
    STATE_YELLOW_ALERT,
    STATE_RED_ALERT,
    STATE_SCRIPTED_CONVERSATION,
    STATE_DEAD,
    STATE_UNCONSCIOUS,
    STATE_FLEE,
    STATE_GUARD,
    STATE_RETURNING,
    STATE_PATROL,
    STATE_PATROL_LOOK,
    STATE_PATROL_FOLLOW,
    STATE_PATROL_FOLLOW_ABSOLUTE,
    STATE_PLAY_ANIM,
    STATE_EXIT_DANGER_ZONE,
    STATE_GASSED,
    STATE_SHOCKED,
    STATE_BLINDED,
    STATE_GREET_ACTOR,
    STATE_SEARCH,
    STATE_SEARCH_YELLOW,
    STATE_SEARCH_RED,
    STATE_SEARCH_BEHAVIOR,
    STATE_SEARCH_MOVE,
    STATE_SEARCH_TURN,
    STATE_SEARCH_TURN180,
    STATE_SEARCH_LOOK,
    STATE_SEARCH_AIM,
    STATE_FROB_ALARM,
    STATE_FATIGUED,
    STATE_PATHTEST,
    STATE_PLAYACTION,
    STATE_DORMANT,
    STATE_CONVERSATION_IDLE,
    STATE_WANDER,
    STATE_SIT,
    STATE_SLEEPING,
    STATE_APPROACH,
    STATE_FLEE_FROM_GRENADE,
    STATE_ONFIRE,
    STATE_BARK_SCRIPT,
    STATE_INFORM_RETURN,
    STATE_PLAYING_POSSUM,
    STATE_SLIP_AND_FALL,
    STATE_FETCH,
    STATE_FRUSTRATION,
    STATE_PLUMMETING,
    STATE_CHOKING,
    STATE_BEINGMUGGED,

// General combat states
    STATE_BASE_COMBAT,
    STATE_MELEE_COMBAT,
    STATE_RANGED_COMBAT,
    STATE_SELECT_POINT,
    STATE_TACTIC_AIM,
    STATE_TACTIC_UNAIM,
    STATE_TACTIC_FIRE,
    STATE_TACTIC_CROUCH,
    STATE_TACTIC_UNCROUCH,
    STATE_TACTIC_STEP,
    STATE_TACTIC_MOVE_TO_POINT,
    STATE_TACTIC_APPROACH_UNTIL_SEEN,
    STATE_TACTIC_BLESS_ALLY,
    STATE_EQUIP_WEAPON,
    STATE_HOLSTER_WEAPON,
    STATE_CHARGE_TARGET,
    STATE_MELEE_STRAFE_TARGET,
    STATE_MELEE_ATTACK_TARGET,
    STATE_THROW,
    STATE_OPTIONAL_MELEE_ANIM,

// DX2 states
    STATE_DX2_INTERFACE,
    STATE_DX2_BOT_DOMINATED,
    STATE_DX2_STOP_FOR_PLAYER,
    STATE_DX2_IDLE_CAMERATURRET,
    STATE_DX2GREEN_ALERT_CAMERATURRET,
    STATE_DX2YELLOW_ALERT_CAMERATURRET,
    STATE_DX2RED_ALERT_CAMERATURRET,

// T3 states
    STATE_ZOMBIE_MUNCH_CORPSE,
    STATE_PREBACKSTAB
    };
    ----------------
    enum EEvidenceType
    {
    // generic evidence

EVIDENCE_GENERIC,

// visual evidence types

EVIDENCE_VISUAL, // generic visual evidence: saw an actor, but not completely ("actor maybe seen")
    EVIDENCE_SAW_PLAYER, // saw the player, for certain ("actor clearly seen")
    EVIDENCE_SAW_ENEMY_NPC, // saw an enemy NPC
    EVIDENCE_SAW_ALERT_NPC, // saw a friendly or allied NPC in an alert state
    EVIDENCE_SAW_CHANGED_ACTOR, // saw an actor moved, destroyed, damaged, etc.
    EVIDENCE_SAW_BODY, // saw a dead or unconscious body

// auditory evidence types

EVIDENCE_AUDIO, // heard something (footsteps, explosions, etc.)
    EVIDENCE_HEARD_ALARM, // heard an alarm

// tactile evidence types

EVIDENCE_TACTILE, // generic tactile evidence (bumped by player or got hit with a box or something)

// various stimulus-based evidence types

EVIDENCE_STIMULUS_DAMAGE, // received damage
    EVIDENCE_STIMULUS_GASSED, // damaged by poison gas
    EVIDENCE_STIMULUS_SHOCKED, // took shock damage
    EVIDENCE_STIMULUS_BLINDED // blinded
    };
    -----------------
    Etc. There's a ton of it. Hope that can be of some use for ideas at least.

On an unrelated note, I also found this:

ChanceToPlayDeathAnimBeforeRagdoll

Whoa! ...too bad I've been unable to figure out what to do next with it.

ChanceToPlayDeathAnimBeforeRagdoll
    Ooooh, which file did you find that in?

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    Ooooh, which file did you find that in?
    Same, AICore.t3u. I've done a bit-by-bit search of the entire install folder, though, and found it nowhere else except there (twice).

Here's the full definition:

var(AIDeath) inherited(2101) float ChanceToPlayDeathAnimBeforeRagdoll "When an AI dies, it will play death animations before ragdolling this percentage of the time (expressed as 0 to 1)";

But... what the hell to do with that? I tried searching blindly on "2101" and obviously many references are found. Beyond that, I dunno what the heck to do. I assume it's per-AI, so that would mean their info is contained in the map files, which are compiled(??) So we might be shit-outta-luck, even with that info.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the AIs start to death animate before ragdoll on late missions? Maybe it's something Ion implemented late, and couldn't get time (or approval) to go back and modify the early maps for.

Quote Originally Posted by SneaksieDave
    Have you guys considered HL2 perhaps as a superior platform for The Dark Mod? I don't personally know much about the specifics, as I haven't been following HL2 closely. However, looking at HL1 editing, it sure took off (in a huge way) for some reason...

Sure wish Ion^H^H^H id would hurry the hell up with the SDK.
    The ID SDK is already out. I doubt that we ever will see an SDK form ION. the best we could hope for is an editor.
    As for HL2. Personally I never cosnidered it. D3 has much more advantages for me. The foremost is: It will run under Linux. At least as soon as I get a driver for my Audigy 2 ZS under Linux.
    Another big advantage of D3 is: It's alread there. We can work on it. HL2 is not there yet apart from that early release, but I don't know how reliable that one is. But to me, the biggest advantage is Linux. And I don't htink that HL2 will add so much more to the Thiefy game. D3 can handle all what we need quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja
    So we could get sued for using intellectual property in a manner that gives us absolutely no financial gain?

That's kinda like me getting sued for drawing a picture of Garrett and posting it here.
    Sure. If you just make a drawing of Garrett nobody can sue you. If you take the entire mechnics and names and eversthing, then it will be more likely. Doesn't mean that it has to, but we shouldn't take the risk for such petty details on Laywers will fret about. I don't mind if my thief is called Garrett or Carrot as long as the gameplay is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepOmega
    Yep - it takes away from projected sales, basically. All Ion Storm (or Eidos) would have to prove is that they could have made money by making a Thief game for the Doom 3 engine. Thus, we'd be taking away from anticipated sales.
    Nah! It's not THAT easy!

Are fans allowed to suggest what they want to see in the mod? Can you guys plz make it public who is working on what department so that one can request directly to the respective member and correspondance becomes quicker??

Quote Originally Posted by Aditya
    Are fans allowed to suggest what they want to see in the mod? Can you guys plz make it public who is working on what department so that one can request directly to the respective member and correspondance becomes quicker??
    Personally I don't mind getting suggestions. I already suggested that we should create a Feature request forum for the public forum part, but it was turned down. You should talk to Fingernail about that, as I still think it is a good idea. Of course putting your request doesn't mean that we will implement everything, but it helps to get some input from as many people as possible.

As for who is working on what: Fingernail is the Project leader, Springheel is the Creative Director, pakmannen (I think he has another name on this board though) is the Sounds Director. I'm in charge of the programming (Head of Programming as we call it ). So if you have specific suggestions in one area you can contact us. You should probably do this on the DarkMod board though, because I don't look here to often as I'm busy with the mod.

You could also post suggestions in the public forum on the board, but I would pester Fingernail for a public Feature Request board (I hope he doesn't read this. ). If you post a feature request on the normal board, then you should include something like FEATURE REQUEST in the subject. Otherwise it may go under with the other threads.

I don't think it is a good idea to contact every member individually as it may lock up the communication a bit. The best thing is to post it in the public forum or go through the project lead.

I'm called pakmannen here too. Has been for the last four years or so.
    Edit - A feature request board would be good.
    Last edited by pakmannen; 20th Oct 2004 at 14:20.

Moderator and Priest
    Here we go:

Team Leaders

Fingernail - The Grand Poombah, and I believe one of the sound guys

Sparhawk - Head Programming. Has to be one of the hardest working guys on the mod, every other post he makes is a novella detailing exactly what we need and a nice flowchart on how to do it.

Springheel - Art Director, he looks at the models, artwork, and keeps the style cohesive....and he can draw and paint like a mofo.

Renzatic - Ingame Art Director. Architecture, mood lighting, ingame models, textures...Springheel checks em in the parking lot, I check em as they come through the door. I'm an Aries.

Pakmannen - Head sound guy. You might know him from his work on Thief2D

The Members

God_Is_My_Goldfish - Concept artist and soon...the movie guy. You might recognize him as the guy who makes all those cool game boxes.

DeepOmega - Excellent Modeller

Oddity - Uber Excellent Modeller. He worked on some of the Nightblade models, I believe.

Phantom - Prop Modeller/Mapper? He hasn't been around enough to know exactly what he does, but he seems to have an interest in a bit of everything.

Fjonan - Great Prop Modeller, also does some professional game work.

Kyo - Yet another excellent modeller...AWOL at the moment

Frank - Probably a future prop modeller, also AWOL.

Blackthief - Texture Artist and all around good guy.

Alexius - Future Texture Artist, still busy with the Hammerite Imperium at the moment.

Domarius - Programmer, needs a new graphics card.

Nexenizer - Programmer. Brings us beer, so Jay especially likes him.

Offnish - Programmer, kinda stays in the background from what I've seen..but he knows what he's doing.

Phil - Programmer, also responsible for giving us our private IRC channel so we can trade teh pron while we pretend we're working.

Skeletalphrame - Programmer, or was..he's not with the team at the moment but he's always welcome back once he's not quite so busy.

Jay Pettitt - A little bit of everything it seems. Likes beer.

LiquidBronze - Sound Guy, he's good with the technical end and has more than a bit of talent.

New Horizon - Sound/Voice Acting. He helped with T2X..that alone should get you excited.

Tashi - Sound Guy and a friend of mine.

Darkness Falls - Sound/Music Man, has done some really nice ambient mockups so far...I'm looking forward to more of his stuff.

Okay, that should be the complete list. If I've forgotten anybody drop me a line and I'll add you on there...
    Last edited by Renzatic; 20th Oct 2004 at 16:54.

Email me. If I get any post, I always make a postbag thread for the members to discuss. For instance, we had one from someone who doubted the decision not to make a campaign from the outset.

Quote Originally Posted by pakmannen
    I'm called pakmannen here too. Has been for the last four years or so.
    Ah. I thought I recognized you under a different name here. Maybe the posting style or something he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic
    Here we go:
    Thanks for the list. I already wanted to ask Finger about this anyway. We should post this in the forum as well. It's good to know who is working for what.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingernail
    Email me. If I get any post, I always make a postbag thread for the members to discuss. For instance, we had one from someone who doubted the decision not to make a campaign from the outset.
    Over on ION I found a very detailed posting about feature requests. Some 20 points on it. The nice thing is that he gave for every rationale a good reason why it could help gameplay. Maybe I can find it again. I don't rember the name.

"Darkness Falls - Sound/Music Man, has done some really nice ambient mockups so far...I'm looking forward to more of his stuff."

Ahh, my friend, you forgot I was originally hired on to do concept drawings. Although I haven't cranked out many drawings yet, I've done some and will hopefully be able to step it up a notch soon ;o) Helping out with sounds was kind've an extra (bonus) DarkMod request of mine that was granted

Quote Originally Posted by Fingernail
    ... that would be me. *waves*

Yep, that's me. Domarius 'Needs-new-graphics-card' Forge. I'm getting it on Monday.

Okay, that should be the complete list.
    Hey, what about Story/Writing department? Its THE most important for any Thief game.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm willing to take up at least half of that torch, but just about anyone that wants to contribute to story is more than welcome to. I've already got a few good ideas and a couple of characters already bouncing around in the old noggin.

But mind you this isn't gonna be important til the 2nd half of the mod, right now we're just building the basework for the FM platform. For now we're just gonna make a couple of freestanding missions instead of a full campaign, and I can write the stories for those easily.

And Darkness...I dunno how I could've forgotten that you were a concept artist too. I based a bit of the gallery around that one pic you did awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aditya
    Hey, what about Story/Writing department? Its THE most important for any Thief game.
    The DarkMods primary aim is to create the tools for FM authors. Not to create a campaign ourselve. Of course we might do one when we are finished, but that is yet some time in the future. First we have to get the basic gameplay mechanics working.

argh!

I have souch lousy timing. I'd, um, sneak into your house and knock you guys out for a chance to do writing/design on this, but I'm doing a book for Peachpit.

Maybe I'll get luck and you'll be really slow until January when I can pitch in.

- chrish

Quote Originally Posted by chrish
    I have souch lousy timing. I'd, um, sneak into your house and knock you guys out for a chance to do writing/design on this, but I'm doing a book for Peachpit.

Maybe I'll get luck and you'll be really slow until January when I can pitch in.

- chrish
    No worry! We still have to do a lot of the basic work. Before we can even think of a campaign we have to implement such trivial things as the lightgem, AI behaviour and other stuff.

awesome

Parallel development, man!

I'll try to remember to prod you guys once I've recovered from writing the book.

I've got lots of programming experience, too (and with OO things, including C++), so I should be able to help implement some of the campaign bits, too... assuming I have any time to learn the DOOM 3 SDK.

I'm hoping DOOM 3 will have dropped in price a bit by then so my wife doesn't flip out when I buy another copy (I sold the first one I bought because I didn't want to play it , but this mod is pulling me back).

- chrish

And Darkness...I dunno how I could've forgotten that you were a concept artist too. I based a bit of the gallery around that one pic you did awhile back.
    Realllly? I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now Okay, maybe not warm & fuzzy, but I'm glad to see SOMETHING I've done was maybe a tad useful. I was starting to worry

Erh... Okay, you got a nice team with some varied skills among the members...
    But where are the mappers?

Page 9 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429343944495459109 ... LastLast