TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: T2X Crashes - TG / T2 / T3 works

T2X Crashes - TG / T2 / T3 works

Dear Members,

My Problem:
    T2X doesnt seem to work, although I dont have ANY problems with Thief Gold version 1.37 / Thief 2 version 1.18 (patched with T2PremierPatch107-118.exe) nor Thief 3. All videos ARE running / games are NEVER crashing etc.

What happens:
    I start T2X.exe, I see the menu, I click "new game", I click "start game", the screen gets black, after 2 sec I get a typical windows error message: ...has discovered a problem and has to shut down thief2.exe

My System:
    I have an Intel Pentium 4 running on Windows XP home edition with SP2 and a NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE (the driver version is 8.2.6.5)

What I have done so far:
    I have installed T2 from the original CDs - applied T2PremierPatch107-118.exe - installed T2X (including VP3 Codec for Video for Windows) into my T2 install dir. Tried to execute T2X.exe as such AND with DarkLoader (by the way: I have no FMs installed yet).

Any ideas? / additional information you need from me?

Does the "[..thief2folder]\t2x\movies\B18.avi" play succesfully as a standalone movie when double clicking on it?

Have you disabled hyperthreading (if your CPU supports it)?

Thief2X

Have you tried enabling the "safe texture manager"?
    (remove the semicolon from the line ;safe_texture_manager found in the user.cfg file)

Dear Addink,

B18.avi played successfully as a standalone movie. I didnt try disabling hyperthreading yet, but enablinging the "safe texture manager" as suggested by Duncan worked perfectly fine, so I'm all really happy this worked out. Let me thank you for your kind support though. Thanks

Dear Duncan,

thank you for your quick and easy remedy. Your help was really the on-spot solution. Everything works fine now. So... let's start playing

Well,

Unexpectedly, today T2X decided to come up with exactly the same problem I had with it before...

I removed the semicolon from the line "safe_texture_manager", I disabled hyperthreading, and it WORKED. I could load the first mission.

Now, a few days later I finally wanted to start playing T2X and was confronted with the same problem. How could this be?

Any ideas?

Your video driver version is odd. Did you mean 82.65? If so, try updating to 84.21.

Same problem here , with Nvidia 92.91 drivers , version 1.1 installed , all codecs installed and T2 and T3 running smoothly .

Thief2X

Version 1.1 now uses its own user.cfg file found in the T2X directory. Try opening this file and removing the semicolon from the line "safe_texture_manager" and see if that makes any difference.

I'm fairly sure I tried that . After my download of Knoppix finishes I'll try downloading the whole thing . Thief 1 stopped working for me as well so it might be a windoze issue .

I tried the full install instead of the patch and still get the crash on start . The user.cfg file inside the T2X dicertory is uncommented . In Linux and BSD I can run a program from a terminal window and get an clear feedback on any errors , is there any way to do this with windows ?

Thief2X

T2X has the same engine and same rendering pipeline as T2, so it seems unlikely there would be something unique at the start of T2X that would crash for you. You're sure Thief 2 and the Thief 2 movies run without any problems?

The one exception is that the codecs used for the T2X movie files are different from those of regular Thief 2. You could try reinstalling these codecs from the executable found inside the T2X folder.

Once upon a time, I found some internal conflicts between some of my (independent) DivX codecs and some of the Thief 2 and T2X movie codecs. It's always possible that there is an unknown conflict somewhere due to 3rd party codecs on your system. That's just a guess though, and it would only apply to the ability to play movie files in game.

The Thief 2 movies run with no problems . I tried re installing the codecs inside the T2X folder and I also tried uninstalling all the added codecs on my system . The only other thing I can think of is a conflict with my video card or a registry issue .

Fixed ! I had to modify the darkinst.cfg file as described by Eilhan , thanks a bunch taffer

You're welcome, glad I could be of help

Same problem for me. I removed the semicolon from both user.cfg files (t2 and t2x) Installed codec for t2x, but still crashes in first movie. Cutscenes in T2 works fine. And I can open B18 while in windows.

It could be a conflict caused by the codec.

The codec needed for the T2X movies is also part of the k-lite codec pack. However, sadly the k-lite version doesn't work as expected when called from within the Thief2 executable. This can be fixed by changing some settings. Read this post for more on that.