TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TTLG Revamp June 2012

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    We have no say?
    You do - and it was the posts here that prompted the look at the main page. As you can imagine, only certain people have the ability to change the front page and their time is currently limited. It wasn't initially on the agenda to do any changes to it and it may done at a later point.

From a practical standpoint I agree with the "glorified portal to the forums and links to the sister sites/ sites that are relevant" approach. TTLG is more than just the forums and although some of the hosted sites are quiet the front page can be used to generate more attention and interest there.
    Last edited by Al_B; 6th Jun 2012 at 03:12.

ZylonBane
    I would cite this as an example of an excellently-done community portal page.

That's a little boring, isn't it? Looks like one of the generic templates that comes with Wordpress.

Still Subjective
    Yeah thats not bad. Its a bit php template from the late nineties though. We can do better than that.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

It seemed a little on the busy side for me although well laid out.

Whatever is done has got to be easily maintainable. It's been tried before and some people did make an effort to contribute to keeping the front page updated. But I think unless someone steps up to say he/she will take full responsibility for continuous updating, it's better to have something very simple which doesn't look outdated in a month.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    That's a little boring, isn't it? Looks like one of the generic templates that comes with Wordpress.
    Still, by comparison it makes TTLG's current portal page look like a core dump.

Everyone is free to link to their own exemplars.

Still Subjective
    If I had time I'd knock one up.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 8th Jun 2012 at 17:17.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

ZylonBane
    I just meant other examples online of what people consider a good-looking portal page.

First off, I love what is being done here. TTLG was feeling pretty abandoned for awhile there, and it's great to see it getting some much needed pruning and reorganization.

One suggestion: now that the Elder Scrolls forums have all been boiled down to one single base, I would love to see the "Almalexia is a psycho" thread no longer marked as unimportant. Keeping a forums's biggest injoke ever stickied doesn't make a whole lot of sense when the forum doesn't even exist as such anymore.

Yeah, and makes sense. As a side note, we've been discussing sticky threads in various forums. Some are years and years old. They'll be dealt with. Either dropped or add new fresh content to them. Its a work in progress. There is a lot to be done around here.

Administrator
    Just a small update. I suspect that most people either use the full forum view or the tapatalk interface but for those that use the old ttlg.mobi domain on their mobiles it has now been updated to reflect the new forum structure.

jtr7
    I just tried to send a PM to nickie and Al_B, since the message doesn't meet the criteria in any way for Report Post channel, and even though the PM option showed up in the drop-down menu clicking their names, when I hit the Submit button after composing the message, I was told those accounts couldn't be found. The message isn't that important, but the unintentional illusion of being able to contact isn't a good thing. My first clue was when adding a username to the recipient field and not seeing the helpful username suggestions box.

Anyway, I take it you are all aware of the many spam accounts being registered in groups of 6 to 10 simultaneously for the last 24 hours or so. Not a biggie, yet.

I didn't know that the Members index wouldn't show registered accounts that hadn't posted twice or more, but I guess the names would go on for many pages.
    Last edited by jtr7; 23rd Dec 2012 at 01:48.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    the unintentional illusion of being able to contact isn't a good thing. My first clue was when adding a username to the recipient field and not seeing the helpful username suggestions box.
    I'll try to sort this out with you by PM. We get loads of messages so there shouldn't be any problems with the PM system. The username suggestion box problem could be a Javascript problem on your browser or it could be that it was being slow due to server load.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    Anyway, I take it you are all aware of the many spam accounts being registered in groups of 6 to 10 simultaneously for the last 24 hours or so. Not a biggie, yet.
    Yes, happens quite a lot, unfortunately. All new registrations are given a quick once-over before they're able to post or create visitor messages. It's not ideal as it delays genuine new members but it's had a positive effect on controlling spam. Most of the spam accounts you saw have been nuked so you shouldn't even see them in the logged in users list.

I can recommend a Project Honeypot integration and would of course help with it if help is needed.

Administrator
    Thanks - we have some semi-automatic integration at the moment that helps speed things up a lot. The biggest problem is that we've had quite a few spammers register and then go quiet for a day or two without sending spam or posting. Then, after a while they start posting by which point they assume they've got through the registration process.

I'm not sure if this thread is meant to hold bug reports or not but here goes.

Just on a whim I decided to look up Vasquez's recent posts by clicking the member name and hitting "View Forum Posts". There's a pause, and then I get this message:

Every other member, including myself, as well as regular searches produce the same error.

How peculiar, but I'm so glad TTLG isn't picking on Vasquez particularly.

I expect Al_B will sort it out a.s.a.p. but it's certainly a very recent problem as I was searching for something or other pretty much every day until just before Christmas, I think.

Archivist
    Just to confirm I get the same message as Trance when doing either a tag or keyword search. I believe the whole search menu is no longer working.

Administrator
    Search should be up and running again.

And it is - thank you!