TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Optimization causes one of my brushes to behave strangely

Optimization causes one of my brushes to behave strangely

Hey fellow taffers.
    While working on my new T1/TG FM, I encountered the PortalClipPolygonByPlane: Didn't find exactly two spanning points error and managed to fix it, it was apparently caused by my blue room being deleted for some reason. Creating a new one seems to fix the issue. However I still have a problem.

I use lots of air octagons to create ceiling vaults and one of them just ignores its state and creates a cylinder with 0 unit-wide planes, but only on one side. Here's the culprit:

Things I've tried:
    - Deleting it and cloning a working one: no success.
    - Deleting it and creating a new one: no success.
    - Rotating it: no success, it only creates the problem with this particular side for whatever reason.
    - Cloning a perpendicular octagon: it doesn't instantly works. I have to launch dromed again and portalize, but as soon as I optimize, the issue comes back.

It's the only case in the whole mission.
    I am currently at 2250 terrain brushes so there's still room for a lot more stuff, but I must admit I'm a bit lost here.
    Last edited by skacky; 20th Jul 2012 at 19:02.

I never encountered such a bug before, but here are three things I would try:

1. chop the cylinder into two (or more) parts and see if it works
    2. reduce the amount of edges the base of your cylinder is comprised of, e.g. if you're using an 8-sided one, try a 7-sided
    3. play around with the grid-size

Thanks for the suggestions, intruder!
    I have tried to split it in half, duplicate it and rotate it, and only one of them has the issue. It looks like any brush touching the last air octagon on the right of the picture has issues. I have tried moving it, portalizing and optimizing again, but now the other octagon (the big one) has its problematic face cut in half. I've also managed to hit the PortalClipPolygonByPlane: Didn't find exactly two spanning points error again but I don't know how.

No luck reducing the number of faces either, it's always the same.
    Guesst I'm just going to simplify this area when it comes to ceiling.

EDIT: I simplified the brushwork and the problem went away. Guess it was scared by my taffing skills.
    By the way, I got rid of the PortalClipPolygonByPlane: Didn't find exactly two spanning points problem by deleting my blueroom, since it was the only brush in the whole mission that caused the crash.
    Last edited by skacky; 20th Jul 2012 at 22:21.

Perhaps the brush wasn't snapped even though you thought it was? If you select it and hold down Shift to drag, then move it only slightly and then back to original position, it will snap it to the grid. I sometimes have to do that when I cloned brushes and somehow one of the copies gets off grid even though the coordinates read correctly (e.g., it reads 104.00 even though it's unsnapped; perhaps it's actually 103.9999 or something).

Nah, unfortunately I'm sure it is snapped, but it would have been great if it wasn't the case.
    I still have the problem (it just moved to another place) but it's in an area that's very dark anyway, so I doubt many players will see it. Oh well.

It's a cheap and dirty fix but you could always hang an object sign over the area with an error reading, "Dromed error, this area still under construction. Sorry for any inconvenience.

-the management-"

Is it possible that another brush is unsnapped?
    If not, it is probably a rare occasion of side effect. It may be caused with any brush (even totally non-suspicious) in a close distance.

I'll have to check that since I'm currently away from dromed, but I really think all my brushes are snapped. I think the smallest grid size I used was 12 and below this value the hilight_ckeck_snap command doesn't show anything.
    This issue seems to have disappeared as of lately but I still get the PortalClipPolygonByPlane: Didn't find exactly two spanning points from time to time. It seems to be pretty random though, since I had it before I added a big and pretty complicated indoor tower, and now that error doesn't appear anymore after I added it.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    I'll have to check that since I'm currently away from dromed, but I really think all my brushes are snapped. I think the smallest grid size I used was 12 and below this value the hilight_ckeck_snap command doesn't show anything.
    This issue seems to have disappeared as of lately but I still get the PortalClipPolygonByPlane: Didn't find exactly two spanning points from time to time. It seems to be pretty random though, since I had it before I added a big and pretty complicated indoor tower, and now that error doesn't appear anymore after I added it.
    Try this for snapping cylinders, because they can appear to be snapped but wont unless they are rotated.

1.hilight_check_snap1
    2.hilight_do_snap1
    3.hilight_clear

If that area was built with multibrushes, try deleting them and rebuilding one brush at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions, darthsLair. I'll be sure to try that this evening. I use a lot of cylinders so maybe one of them has a wild position.
    R Soul, I don't use multibrushes since I find them unreliable, I build my rooms one brush at a time even if I do a lot of cloning.