TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Objects dont act properly

Objects dont act properly

Hi,

im working on my mission for a few months now, but im facing a problem which seems new to me since today: Suddently some objects dont act properly:
    - Levers dont move when frobbing them; i can hear the lever sound but nothing happens. The links, for example to lamps, dont work anymore (but they did before!)
    - Same with crates: Frobbing them i get the goods (or whatever) inside, but they dont move.

Can anybody help?

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pretoria View Post
    Hi,

im working on my mission for a few months now, but im facing a problem which seems new to me since today: Suddently some objects dont act properly:
    - Levers dont move when frobbing them; i can hear the lever sound but nothing happens. The links, for example to lamps, dont work anymore (but they did before!)
    - Same with crates: Frobbing them i get the goods (or whatever) inside, but they dont move.

Can anybody help?
    You might try reloading your basic script: script_load gen.osm after, just save the mission. Then try this :Reload_schemas
    Check you monolog.txt to see if their is any indication of what may be going on.

sounds like some form of corruption. If the gen.osm doesn't do it, you may have a corrupted gen.osm. You can replace it from your cd 1 I think.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 31st Jul 2012 at 19:16.

Drop all your scripts before reloading them.

If the scripts seem all OK, then ...

Load up a prior save (either .cow, or .mis and .gam) of your mission from a day when everything worked. If it still works, then nothing is wrong with your scripts, but your gamsys is the likely culprit. Then just start reloading your saves until you hit one that doesn't work. Between the last good one and the first bad one lies your problem. Go back to the last good one and start redoing changes, saving and checking regularly what is going on.

You have been doing regular backup saves of your work, right? Llke maybe every 1/2 hour of work? If not you could be scrod.

Sounds like gen.osm got corrupted or unloaded somehow. Just drop it and reload it like those guys said.

Thanks for ur help, ill try it when im back from work.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Drop all your scripts before reloading them.
    You have been doing regular backup saves of your work, right? Llke maybe every 1/2 hour of work? If not you could be scrod.
    Well, im working with dromed almost for years now, and i think the first thing you learn by using Dromed is to make backups every 10 seconds. It was a frustrating learning process guided by crashes and various error messages. So of course i have regular backups.
    The problem is that i didnt realize the problem cause i have been working on a different section in the last weeks without any critical objects in that area and i realized the object problem after finishing that section and testing the whole mission.

Btw sorry for my bad english

I will tell u if it worked! Thanks a lot!

Pretoria

hi, it's me again.

Sorry that i didnt answer earlier, but actually ive got a lot to do and dont find much time to work on my mission.
    Reloading gen.osm didnt work so i tried to locate the error.
    The error occurs between 2 saves (both in "cow" format). Im not sure, but i think that was the time when i edited the obj_min (? dont remember it exactly) in the dark.cfg.
    But why is everything ok then in earlier saves?

Does anybody have an idea how to fix it? It would be really sad when all the changes i made after that would get lost (think many of u can understand that feeling, i created a very detailed and atmospheric outdoor area)

I trust in you all
    Last edited by pretoria; 10th Aug 2012 at 18:19.

Go back to the save that works and start re-editing, saving as you go & checking that the problem doesn't re-introduce itself to you. If it does, you will have abetter idea what not to do when you (again) go back to the last good save and start the rework process. Sorry. But this happens. You'll probably end up making a better outdoors area as a result.

Thanks LarryG!

Is it possible that it has something to do with the gamesys?

And one - maybe stupid - question:
    I hadnt worked with dromed for more than a year so i forgot a lot. And now im not sure im my (custom) gamesys is really working. When im loading my mission, there appears "dark.gam" in the dromed window (on the bottom).
    when i type the command "set_gamesys example.gam", dromed loads example.gam. Then i save the mission, but after restarting dromed theres "dark.gam" again. What am I doing wrong?

If you are saving cow files, you don't have to worry about gam files until you are ready to distribute the mission. At that time you will break out the gam and mis from the cow. The cow contains both types of data in one file.