TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Heroinware

Heroinware

Full Story

I'm still settling out my feelings on the thesis, but the line

"I can imagine that somebody with less knowledge of these kinds of issues would really have a hard time understanding what was happening to them."

makes me want to vomit. It reallly doesn't take that much to "understand" that you're letting an influence rule your life.

ld

Actually, one of the main symptoms of addiction is that you dont realise you have one.

Originally posted by Phobia
    Actually, one of the main symptoms of addiction is that you dont realise you have one.
    IME that's not true in the majority of cases. Compulsion is a much stronger factor than denial. YMMV, of course.

ld

I've no doubt that "games junkies" (let alone "forum junkies" ) exist. I'm both ask my fiance (and the 20+ before that ).

That doesn't mean that games are inherently bad or addictive in and of themselves. Other activities, like going to the gym or building model railways in your loft, are fine in moderation, but can become an 'addiction' if you pursue them to the exclusion of everything else.

A Wisconsin woman has blamed "EverQuest" in the suicide late last month of her 21-year-old son, who had a history of mental health problems and was an obsessive "EverQuest" player.
    I think most people could probably find the key factor in the paragragh above with little difficulty.

---

]!MB0[0P

"Come to me, son of Jor-El! Kneel before Zod!"

It seems to me that this real addiction to games is really only found in people already with a propensity for mental problems or are suffering isolation in the real world which can amount to the same thing. This means games is only dangerous to a few people already at risk of addiction and is not at all dangerous to most gamers who naturally keep in touch with reality. Of course, this works the same with some illicit drugs so it would seem completely reasonable to ban games on the grounds of protecting the few who are at risk!
    'An anarchist is a liberal with a bomb'

Trotsky

Christ, the customs would have fun trying to prevent the import of digital data.

If it gets a lot of publicity I can see the Daily Mail campaigning for it though.

TheWatcher
    Originally posted by FiveEight

If it gets a lot of publicity I can see the Daily Mail campaigning for it though.
    Yeah, but I wouldn't put anything past that bunch of cross-eyed, knuckle-scraping morons (and that's just Daily Mail readers...) I'm surprised thye haven't campaigned to ban oxygen on the grounds that it is addictive and invariably leads to death.....

Hmm. I would say that game addiction makes a damn fine topic for an article.

But then so did Freddy Starr's tasty-crunchy hamster.