TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Steam won't start in offline mode anymore..?

Steam won't start in offline mode anymore..?

I don't have an internet conenction for my laptop for the next coiuple of weeks, and thought I could get some mapping for dystopia done which I want to try, but steam is now refusing to start in offline mode.

It pops up "Cannot find internet connection, do you want to start in offline mode?"

Buttons are "Retry, Offline mode, quit."

Which ever ones I click on it says "ERROR! Steam can't find an internet connection" and quits.

Any ideas?

I'm fairly sure that offline mode only keeps working for something like thirty days; you need to log in again after that IIRC. Try logging in normally once (if you can), then re-starting it in offline mode.

I was logged in fine this morning! Can't easily log in any more.

There is no easy way around it. Your Steam ticket is yes, only valid for a certain time period. Next time you go online, log onto Steam and Exit. Not Log Off; Exit. Open your Steam folder (should be \program files\valve\steam) and make a copy of the file 'ClientRegistry.blob' - that is pretty much your offline ticket. Next time this shit happens to you, backup then replace the dud ClientRegistry.blob with the copy. But make a copy often, because Steam is a finicky fucker, and every now and then needs a fresh ClientRegistry.blob to get you 'back offline' again.

is Best Pony
    And make sure the option to store account details on the computer is selected in the options.

I have all the right options to start in offline mode as I have used offline mode before...its just not working now

It tempts me with the option of clicking start in offline mode, then quits anyway.

Bah.

That has happened to me after updating Steam or one of the applications within. Did you interupt a download?
    "...culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable."
    Terence McKenna

The thing that annoys me is that I only need to run Steam in offline mode if my internet connection dies... and obviously when that happens, I can't set Steam up for offline mode until the connection comes back up.

Hmm. I wonder...

How about a bat file that copies the .blob file every time you start Steam? That'd keep the file always up to date, no?

Code:
    @echo off
    f:
    cd \games\Steam
    copy ClientRegistry.blob OFFLINE_ClientRegistry.blob
    Steam.exe
    Last edited by Deep Qantas; 18th Sep 2005 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by d0om
    Any ideas?
    Use the crack? Return the game? Play something else?

What kind of "idea" is it that you are looking for, specifically?

I would avoid the crack. Do you really want to run the risk of losing your steam account?

Hmm I think the problem might have been an interupted download. Its working now (I managed to get computer connected to the net and after that it was behaving)

You can always try verifying it and other downloads as well. It tends to fix anything that went humbuggery before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundato
    I would avoid the crack. Do you really want to run the risk of losing your steam account?
    You mean the account that doesn't enable you to play the game anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon
    There is no easy way around it. Your Steam ticket is yes, only valid for a certain time period. Next time you go online, log onto Steam and Exit. Not Log Off; Exit. Open your Steam folder (should be \program files\valve\steam) and make a copy of the file 'ClientRegistry.blob' - that is pretty much your offline ticket. Next time this shit happens to you, backup then replace the dud ClientRegistry.blob with the copy. But make a copy often, because Steam is a finicky fucker, and every now and then needs a fresh ClientRegistry.blob to get you 'back offline' again.
    How intuitive! Steam rocks!

BANNED
    Agreed, steam and valve totally kick ass, DOWN WITH ID AND THAT REPETITIVE DOOMED 3 GAEM ! 111 HALF LIFE !! HALF LIFE !! !11

BR796164
    I don't want to be DOOMed to spend the rest of my time in HALF LIFE.
    I've been QUAKEd enough while living in UNREALity.

Get your coat

isn't it

wut :?