TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 33 of 98 FirstFirst ... 381318232829303132333435363738434853586368737883 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 1/2 & SShock 2: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch - discussion

Having a hideous problem with the Thief 2 textures... look exactly like the problem described. Videocard Geforce 8800 GTS series. blasted thing killing thief textures.

Downloaded the fix, tried it out. Doesn't work- made things worse.
    getting "the request screen mode could not be set" error, displayed like a plaque book in thief2.
    Colors look like rainbows.
    Weeeeirdness.

Hey Alexius!

Haven't seen zee around for a while! Been a few years. How's it going?
    -

Yes, that's what I can't get over: the "requested screen mode could not be set" error. [screenshot]

I have to run in regular ol' junk mode for the time being.
    Ambient Sounds Pack (for FM designers)
    My Site
    Gunreal Beta Released (UT2004 stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexius View Post
    Downloaded the fix, tried it out. Doesn't work- made things worse.
    getting "the request screen mode could not be set" error, displayed like a plaque book in thief2.Colors look like rainbows.Weeeeirdness.
    hi Alexius

Thats a known (old) problem

# The resolution in the 'cam.cfg' is different to the 'ddfix.ini' - run the DDfix gui again click "remove patch", then click on the resolution box and pick a lower res and then click "apply patch". Then check if thief works. Then do the same thing again for the resolution you want (to a max of 1400x1050)

Pm me if you cant get it working and I`ll sort it for you

biker

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    hi Alexius

Thats a known (old) problem

# The resolution in the 'cam.cfg' is different to the 'ddfix.ini' - run the DDfix gui again click "remove patch", then click on the resolution box and pick a lower res and then click "apply patch". Then check if thief works. Then do the same thing again for the resolution you want (to a max of 1400x1050)

Pm me if you cant get it working and I`ll sort it for you

biker
    nice. Actually fixed everything. now I can finally beta test my own mission.

I actually can't run the patching DDfix software, because I kept getting the .frame network error:

I had to apply the patch manually. However my thief2.exe didn't even have the ddraw.dll line, so I had to download a different thief2.exe provided here. yargh

Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    Hey Alexius!

Haven't seen zee around for a while! Been a few years. How's it going?
    Everything's going merrily. Soon Hammerite Imperium mis one shall be released. Beta-testing is in progress!
    Last edited by Alexius; 25th May 2008 at 17:11.

I actually can't run the patching DDfix software, because I kept getting the .frame network error:!
    Thats because you need to install ".net 2.0" LINK

biker

well, I can't get it to work. I have a radeon 3850, and I've installed SHTUP and rebirth, along with Straylight's modifications. Without DDfix, my game looks like it has 8 bit textures... horrid banding everywhere. FSAA and Aniso make no difference. I've tried using every pre-modified system shock 2 exe file I can find (with the ddfix files in the correct directory), and no matter what, as soon as 3d accelleration is initialized the game says I have incompatible graphics hardware. "your video hardware is not supported by system shock", specifically.

Any ideas? It's really hard to play with all this shitty banding everywhere. Makin me wish I hadn't swapped out my x800...

Okay. Thief 2.exe now works.
    However, dromed refuses to work. I tried the dromed download and now Im getting "the request screen mode could not be set" error when playing the game through dromed.

something is setting dromed to the 800x600 and therefore its incompatible with the new dll. It works fine if it set it to 800x600, but that just screws with my windows by setting EVERYTHING to 800x600.. gah

what needs to be changed.. grrr
    Last edited by Alexius; 25th May 2008 at 22:31.

something is setting dromed to the 800x600 and therefore its incompatible with the new dll. It works fine if it set it to 800x600, but that just screws with my windows by setting EVERYTHING to 800x600.. gah

what needs to be changed.. grrr
    Have you tried playing around in the game mode settings menu?

Game Menu->Game Mode Settings.
    It should look like this (your resolution may vary):

yes... no effect. I edited the cam.CFG manually... editing it in dromed menu merely edits the same file the same way.
    grrr... maybe dromed.exe just not meant to work on resolutions of 1920x1200... but thief.exe works fine with that rez. weeeird. some kind of file is breaking it. sigh.
    Last edited by Alexius; 26th May 2008 at 03:33.

maybe dromed.exe just not meant to work on resolutions of 1920x1200... but thief.exe works fine with that rez. weeeird. some kind of file is breaking it. sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexius
    Thief2.exe is fixed, however dromed is still broken with the same error of textures being rainbows. gah
    Hi Alexius

You need to fully read my thread, here is a fixed dromed2.exe as listed in the first post..

biker
    Last edited by bikerdude; 26th May 2008 at 06:02.

He already said he's already using the DDFixed DromEd.

Alexius: That's an unsupported resolution, I think you need to use the widescreen fix to enable it for DromEd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    He already said he's already using the DDFixed DromEd.Alexius: That's an unsupported resolution, I think you need to use the widescreen fix to enable it for DromEd.
    Ah i didnt see that bit... Alexious for now why dont you just use 1280x1024 as both T2/Dromed2 should work fine at that res.

biker

Ah... do Thief 2 and Dromed both have to have the same resolution set? (...and use the widescreen fix for a widescreen res, I presume?)

I'm trying to run T2 at my monitor's native 1650x1080, but I set Dromed's game-mode res to run at 1280x1024.
    Last edited by Dario; 26th May 2008 at 19:16.

ZylonBane
    Well, I finally gave DDFix a try with SS2, and I guess you could say I'm having limited success. With resolutions that SS2 supports natively, it works great (though "640x480" is missing from the resolutions dropdown, oddly). With resolutions that SS2 doesn't natively support, I get the "Your video hardware is not supported by System Shock 2" error.

This is with a Radeon X1950 Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Well, I finally gave DDFix a try with SS2, and I guess you could say I'm having limited success. With resolutions that SS2 supports natively, it works great (though "640x480" is missing from the resolutions dropdown, oddly). With resolutions that SS2 doesn't natively support, I get the "Your video hardware is not supported by System Shock 2" error.

This is with a Radeon X1950 Pro.
    I had that problem too with a Geforce 7900gs.
    Backup the original ss2 exe and give the 'modified' ddfix exe a go. If that won't work, try the widescreen mod.

I did those processes in that order to get high res widescreen to work for me.

I know I keep repeating myself, but there's still people who don't seem to realise: ddfix does not let you use custom resolutions in anything other than thief 2!!!

If you want custom resolutions in SS2, use the widescreen patch.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeslip View Post
    I know I keep repeating myself, but there's still people who don't seem to realise: ddfix does not let you use custom resolutions in anything other than thief 2!!!
    You might want to mention that in the readme then. Or better still, not even offer custom resolutions when patching SS2.

You might want to mention that in the readme then. Or better still, not even offer custom resolutions when patching SS2.
    Hi ZB

As you know this patch primarily supports T2, support for SS2 is secondary. The widescreen mod is not part of DDfix, please address Weak-ling via this thread or his own thread/s, Thief ~ SystemShock

biker

This is why I think it would be a good idea to merge DDfix and the Widescreen patch. Everything would be optional, but everything would be included that's needed to run Dark Engine games on a modern PC.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Hi ZB

As you know this patch primarily supports T2, support for SS2 is secondary. The widescreen mod is not part of DDfix
    I'm not sure why you think I'm interested in widescreen.

I think the WSM can also set any 4:3 resolution. Or any resolution, period.

I'm not sure if it has been explicitly stated by the author anywhere, but the "widescreen mod" does more than just widescreen.

I have a Radeon 1950 Pro and the WSM with DDFix allows me to run System Shock 2 at 1280x960, whereas without WSM I get the hardware not supported error if I try that resolution.

I mentioned it in reference to your mention of other/custom resolutions.

ZylonBane
    I'm more interested in the 32-bit rendering and high-resolution terrain textures. As far as I'm aware, the widescreen mod doesn't support that.

If I'm going to pursue implementation of high-res terrain textures for SHTUP, it's in my interest to encourage the author of the necessary tool to make it as friendly as possible for SS2 players.

Agreed though that the best possible end state would be a merging of all these mod tools (Kolya's too) into a unified tweaker. If I were a newcomer to Thief or SS2, the current state of affairs would be quite confusing and offputting.

I agree that the community should eventually merge all these tweakers together for the less savvy users. Right now using them together to fulfill all their possible fixes can be confusing for even savvy users.

I also think TTLG should make them more visible to visitors of the forum as well as the System Shock & Thief sites on TTLG.

But for your current purpose, I believe the Widescreen Mod and DDFix are completely compatible. Use DDFix for 32-bit rendering and high-resolution terrain textures, then use WSM to set whatever non-native resolution you want (widescreen or other).

Err... except, has anyone successfully made high-res textures work in anything other than Thief 2 yet?

Page 33 of 98 FirstFirst ... 381318232829303132333435363738434853586368737883 ... LastLast