TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 37 of 98 FirstFirst ... 27121722273233343536373839404142475257626772778287 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 1/2 & SShock 2: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch - discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Given that Thief doesn't support Glide, that's the weirdest workaround I've heard of in quite a while
    Can't help you with that, it worked at least for one or two users until now.
    As there was no-one trying to look into the problem and it's reasons or solve it, I can only post what I get from those who did try and for themselves did solve it effectively. Why it worked is not my problem.
    Installing redistributables as recommended here didn't work at all. Asking again and again got a bit boring.

But I am open for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by xxcoy View Post
    Installing redistributables as recommended here didn't work at all. Asking again and again got a bit boring.But I am open for your suggestions.
    Thats because for 99% of us the usual fixes have worked. Ive gone through the thread and you have a lot of posts, some not linked to this question. Give me the exact problem and detailed list of your system specs hardware/drivers etc .

biker

Widespread I'm afraid. At least in Germany.
    It is a problem with thief 1 or thief gold and ddfix. It appears to happen for newer ATI-Cards as well as for NVIDIA-Geforce-chips from 7600 upwards - as far as I recall (Eidos forums Germany are offline, that's where most of the complaints were made- I might be able to get you more exact information tomorrow). All users had XP 32-bit home, a newer system with or without dual-core and they had already tried most of the usual solutions, then finally installed ddfix per fixed .exe or manually.

After installing ddfix the game doesn't start at all anymore, even if it had before (but then usually crashed after loading the first level or savegame).

All users got the error message:

"Directx6 version or higher not installed. 3d graphics acceleration will be unavailable. graphics performance may be slow. you will be able to play thief only in windowed mode. graphics quality may be poor if your ...
    256 colors or fewer.
    we strongly recommend installing directx6 or higher to enable fullscreen graphics support."
    (Windowed mode does not run in most cases.)

You are asked if you want to continue anyway.

If you chose 'yes' you get the error message "insert correct CD / DVD!" (which is inserted).
    If you chose 'no' the process is being aborted.

Usually it ends there.
    Some people tried to install DirectX redistributables as recommended in this thread, but without any effect on error or message. The first one to play thief1 with timeslip-patch after he had the same problem used glide-wrapper to solve it. For him it worked. Maybe by some collateral effect or maybe he did something else he did not realize.

I can't try it myself for I do not have the problem, I'm just asked for help quite often at Eidos Germany for I'm one of the mods there. The "directX 6 -problem" has been the one thing we just couldn't fix for our users untill now.

Can't help you with that, it worked at least for one or two users until now.
    Hey, I'm not knocking it. If it works, it works. I'm just bemused by the apparent oddness of the solution, that's all :)

Widespread I'm afraid. At least in Germany.
    It is a problem with thief 1 or thief gold and ddfix. It appears to happen for newer ATI-Cards as well as for NVIDIA-Geforce-chips from 7600 upwards - as far as I recall (Eidos forums Germany are offline, that's where most of the complaints were made- I might be able to get you more exact information tomorrow). All users had XP 32-bit home, a newer system with or without dual-core and they had already tried most of the usual solutions, then finally installed ddfix per fixed .exe or manually.
    Ok, can you give me a details spec of your machine with drivers please.

thanks

biker

ps. Ive had T1/G w/ddfix & w/widescreen fix running on my 8800ultra under XpSp3 and Vistsp1...

As I said earlier: It is not my machine.

I am just the one who gets the complaints and the questions.
    I can right now only give you one of the users' system configurations, for Eidos is still down.

GeForce 7600GS
    Athlon 64 X2 4800+
    RAM: 2GB
    XP SP3

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Hey, I'm not knocking it. If it works, it works. I'm just bemused by the apparent oddness of the solution, that's all
    I can't even say if it really does work 'cause I can't try it on my own. But he claims it does. I'll ask him, how he got the idea in the first place.
    Last edited by xxcoy; 7th Jul 2008 at 10:08.

remote assistance

Hi XXcoy

I think the quickest way of looking at this is for me to remote assist them, Im assuming they have windows xp..?

My hot mail addy is b1k3rdude @ hotmail.co.uk, get him/her to email/add me to their msn. And I'll do my best to fix it for them. They will need to have a fast connection to the internet though, and speak engish to a reasonable level.

biker
    Last edited by bikerdude; 23rd Aug 2008 at 05:08.

Would be nice.

I'll tell them - as far as they did not get it fixed already by the 'strange way' I described earlier.

Hey guys, I'm getting horizontal stretching in my image when using DDfix/widescreen. I've tried many resolutions, I've turned of GPU image scaling, I've used my monitor's native res and all the widescreen res's I could think of lower, and it consistently happens. I have no other problems at all. I believe the widescreen script is supposed to automatically adjust the fov for the resolution you enter, but does this always work? Is the stretching normal? A window, for instance, is about twice as wide near the horizontal edges of the screen than at the centre. The sample images I've seen here don't appear to have any such stretching.

I'm on Vista 64, using XP compatibility mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark View Post
    Hey guys, I'm getting horizontal stretching in my image when using DDfix/widescreen. I've tried many resolutions, I've turned of GPU image scaling, I've used my monitor's native res and all the widescreen res's I could think of lower, and it consistently happens. I have no other problems at all. I believe the widescreen script is supposed to automatically adjust the fov for the resolution you enter, but does this always work? Is the stretching normal? A window, for instance, is about twice as wide near the horizontal edges of the screen than at the centre. The sample images I've seen here don't appear to have any such stretching.

I'm on Vista 64, using XP compatibility mode.
    run darkwidescreen batch fiel first, then ddfix, disable XP compat

I can't thank the people responsible for these awesome patches enough. I was able to install T1&2 as well as SS2 on my Vista machine last evening. I was starting to get worried that my favorite games were going to be all but lost on newer hardware in the years ahead.

I can't believe I can finally see stars (with no dithering, no less!) in Running Interference.

Really, thanks so much for these patches...amazing work to all involved.
    Last edited by noah; 4th Sep 2010 at 04:04.

DDFIX

Just put together new computer and trying to run thief 2 and having problems trying to install ddfix. When I try to run the ddfix file, I get a message saying I must install directx 6.0 or higher before install. I am running directx 9.0c. Now what? Please help! Thanks.

Hello kaain. Please provide us with more information. Did you download the GUI version, or the "manual" version? Seeing as you said you tried to use it and it said you need directx 6, i'm going to assume the gui version. Also, please provide system specs such as CPU, graphics card, etc.

Taken from Timeslip's page:
    Requires windows 2000 or above and a graphics card that supports 32 bit render targets. The GUI version also requires .NET 2.0 or a recent version of mono. Copy protected versions of the games may require downloading an unprotected version of the exe.
    Make sure you follow this criteria. As for it saying you need directx 6, that's bizarre. I know ddfix uses directx 6, but I can't imagine why it'd give you such an error even though you have 9.0c.

The usual reason for getting the DX6 or higher required message is trying to use the pre-patched exe without actually installing ddfix. Another possible cause is setting the Thief2Extensions option to something that doesn't match your exe version.

Timeslip

just curious/a bit worried: do you plan any further updates to ddfix in the future ? like some bug fixes (ss2 one reported here, some textures not applied in t2 with hi-res textures etc), and features you plan(ned) for 1.4 and up (I miss fps capper ), hook support for games other than tma (so ss2/tdp/tg hi-res packs are made possible) etc etc?

just hope you didn't abandon this great project (and hope you don't mind me asking)..
    Last edited by Hiatus; 21st Jul 2008 at 14:38.

For the first time in many mounths I was able too play my good old Thief: The Dark Project after nearly has given up all hopes to see this classics ever again on my Windows XP with a moden graphics card. Now I can play Thief 1 without a virtual machine with Windows 98 on.
    Timeslip, you are a god.

Timeslip

Can you confirm what your system specs are, specifically when you built DDfix. Was it on an a nVidia based setup..? this might explain the Lag that people with Ati HD 2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx are seeing with DDfix.

Its it possible to recompile DDfix so its more balanced..? or will you need a HD 3xxx card to do this..? if thats the case are you able to pick up a cheap HD 3850 or similar or would will I need to send you one..?

biker

biker

as I mentioned in another thread, way too low fps on ATI HDxxxx (2 to 4 for now) is NOT a ddfix bug/issue/whatever - same fps drops are present in vanilla Dark Engine (T1/TG/T2 for sure, SS2 probably as well) game versions.

Cause is that both ddfixed (1.2+) and vanilla game versions use DX6/D3D6 renderer, whereas DX6 driver portion of ATI drivers for these chipsets appears to be broken/buggy (other older games from that era are affected as well, so the problem is wider) - most likely broken function calls for D3D6 or sth like that; another cause could be some vital h/w component removal from the die (see below) resulting in low fps. It's especially pronounced when particle-like effects (like fire/smoke/water/rain/snow etc) are visible on-screen - fps tanks then on HDxxxx.

Remember ddfix 1.0-1.1 which was using DX9 renderer instead of DX6? Using it cures (not sure if 100%) said problems on HDxxxx, so it's a proof that drivers are at fault (or some hardware portion assisting in h/w accelerating these DX6 function was removed from the die in this gen of chipsets - asi s the case with hardware support for 16-bit dithering (it was removed from these chipsets to conserve die size most likely); that would be even worse, as it's not software repairable with needed h/w missing completely).

Guess I'll be keeping that X1950 for a long, long time (or buy newer Nvidia if fps drop is not present there - waiting for others' reports - with ddfix of course).
    Last edited by Hiatus; 25th Jul 2008 at 16:18.

With a 7900 GTX and Forceware 175.19 on XP 32-bit, I get gameplay as smooth as butter using ddfix 1.3.11. Applies to T1, T2 and SS2.
    I even run a protein folding client while playing them and still smooth gameplay on 1280 x 1024.

Hey all,, I am using this patch for Thief GOLD and I am using an BFG nVidia 9800 gtx ocx 512mb, AMD 6400 dual core system and vid driver 175.19 and this fix is wonderful!!!

Thanks to whom ever was involved in getting this game running again!!

I would like to mention that although the game loads and runs awesome, whenever I try to load a mission using darkloader the screen flickers a few times and back to desktop. I can play Thief Orig from Darkloader but the other missions frakk up and crash.

Anyone else have this same issue?

Darkhunter

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHunter View Post
    I can play Thief Orig from Darkloader but the other missions frakk up and crash.
    try garretloader

biker

Ive updated the main post with installation and trouble shooting instructions for the novice taffers among us..

biker
    Last edited by bikerdude; 14th Aug 2008 at 17:02.

Hey there, just wanted to thank all of you guys after i got TDP and TMA finally up and running.
    Spent 2 days trying to fix them and didn't find a single thread in here with an issue i didn't have myself..grml..
    Big Up

Nice biker.... But may I just make a suggestion... In the information for newbies, you put winrar, which afaik is a trialware unless you buy the full version. There is something much better than winrar or even winzip (imo, unless you buy them which is cool then) called 7-zip (www.7-zip.org) which opens 7z files. No fancy lookin' GUI, just great functionality. I really like 7-zip and I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I really like 7-zip and I recommend it.
    Your welcome and done, and ive fixed a few spelling errors while I was at it..

biker

Page 37 of 98 FirstFirst ... 27121722273233343536373839404142475257626772778287 ... LastLast