TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3813182328333843444546474849505152535863687378838893 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2446

Thread: Thief 1/2 & SShock 2: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch - discussion

Ah. I grew up with DOS as well somewhat.... But I don't know much about batch scripting.... Thanks for the explanation.

EDIT: Hmm, weird. So you only changed your install.cfg (ddfix not applied) and now you can't even run the original?

No problem.
    Batch scripting isn't hard; all you're doing is putting DOS commands in a text file exactly as you would type them at the command line. Make the file executable and you're golden.

Yup. Apparently, it doesn't like not being told to check for the "CD". A protection for the copy protection?

Ah, that's true....

what a bummer.

this probably won't do anything, but maybe add in the line cd_path d:\ with a semicolin in front of it. So, ;cd_path d:\ OR, add cd_path .\ like in my install.cfg example.

Curses, why did gamestop/eb games have to fudge with the game?

Nope.
    Though I'm not surprised that didn't work, honestly...any line starting with a semicolon is deemed a comment and ignored by Dark, right?

Correct, but you can also make the "cd" path your hard drive.
    Man, that's too bad. I wish it worked for you. Guess we know that it's stupid to buy thief gold by download. Well at least the game runs without ddfix, right?

Yeah...I'd still like to get it fixed, though. If nothing else, if we do manage it, it could help someone else who can't play without DDFix (or whose display is mangled without it).

Well, we've just about tried everything to make it work. Biker? NV? any ideas?

The thing is, ddfix requires ddraw.dll to be in your executable. Since it is not, you can't patch. And, as we have learned, replacing the Exe with a prepatched one fails to work as well.

Actually, there's two things I want to check on. First off, do you have a ddfix.ini file in your thief gold directory? (oops, you do. sorry for asking.) If so, check to make sure it says multicorefix=1 or whatever it is inside the file.
    Second, you could try sticking a ddraw.dll file into your thief directory, though I very much doubt it would do anything (but I guess any crazy idea is worth a try right?)
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 3rd Apr 2009 at 16:50.

Saw that ninja edit.

There's gotta be something, though...something that's different between this version and others. If there wasn't, another exe should have solved the problem.
    Thief doesn't use registry keys, does it?

It should use registry keys. Or rather, I think it does. Try searching with regedit.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    It should use registry keys. Or rather, I think it does. Try searching with regedit.
    Enchantermon, if all else fails, add me to your messager and Ill remote into your computer and have a look.

Provided you trust bikerdude to remote your PC. Remote is never a good thing. However, there's something called crossloop which does it securely without lowering firewall supposedly.

Enchantermon, come on IRC and maybe we can figure it out?

Well, I found a two registry entries for Thief, but they both have empty keys in them. Not really useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Enchantermon, if all else fails, add me to your messager and Ill remote into your computer and have a look.
    Added. I'll be on IRC, too.

Okay, I've figured it out.

The reason it doesn't work is because the .crf files have been encrypted by EBGames, meaning that none of the games resources can be read without their specially hacked executable.
    That means that DDFix and DromEd are unusable with that version, and you won't be able to extract or view any of the resources yourself, either.

I propose a boycott on that version of the game, because buying it is only encouraging this kind of encrypted/corrupted and incomplete garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I propose a boycott on that version of the game, because buying it is only encouraging this kind of encrypted/corrupted and incomplete garbage.
    The same can be said for all "download" versions of thief!

On idea, as Enchantermon has bought a legit, I dont see a problem posting him a copy of the standard Thef Gold CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice
    The reason it doesn't work is because the .crf files have been encrypted by EBGames, meaning that none of the games resources can be read without their specially hacked executable.
    Aha! That explains why changing the install.cfg did nothing, and how he said the game worked without ddfix and an unchanged install.cfg

Hmm.. well the problem with that is you can't do it here and how would we have proof that he bought the game? anyone can say they have thief, but they could be lying. Seriously though, what a shame EB Games / Gamestop!!!!

Seriously though, what a shame EB Games / Gamestop!!!!
    And direct2drive bollox

You've got to be freaking kidding me.
    It figures. I finally find Thief Gold, new, for a reasonable price...ugh.
    Agreed. At the very least, a warning should be put on the FAQ next to the EBGames link.
    Hmm.. well the problem with that is you can't do it here and how would we have proof that he bought the game? anyone can say they have thief, but they could be lying.
    I think I have a screenshot of the receipt somewhere. I also have the specialized installer you download the game with.

Although wouldn't I just need replacement crfs? If those are the only things that are encrypted (though there's no guarantee ) shouldn't replacing them fix the problem?

Although wouldn't I just need replacement crfs? If those are the only things that are encrypted (though there's no guarantee ) shouldn't replacing them fix the problem?
    Honestly, I'm not sure... but that'd be a start. That might be what allows the game to work with ddfix. Just don't go asking openly here for the crfs. (i'm not trying to be a prick or anything, I just don't want to see you get banned or something.)

Just don't go asking openly here for the crfs. (i I just don't want to see you get banned or something.)
    Its obvious he has a legit copy of the game, buts is a bastardised version, so we shouldnt have a problem giving the files he need to get the bloody thing working. :-/

It would be amazingly awesome if someone would do that. My e-mail is in my profile, and I can provide the receipt for proof like I said (I just have to find it :P).

EDIT: Found the receipt e-mail. Guess what else they didn't tell me until I bought the game? I only have three activations.
    Last edited by Enchantermon; 4th Apr 2009 at 08:47.

@biker: I'm just saying, it's not up to us, it's up to the mods (if you were going to openly provide files that is, but I don't think you'd do that so it's not really a problem.)

@Enchantermon: Wow. That's just messed up. I wonder though if it's actually Gamestop's problem, or if they just distribute it, but some other company deals with the downloaded games?

@Enchantermon: Wow. That's just messed up. I wonder though if it's actually Gamestop's problem, or if they just distribute it, but some other company deals with the downloaded games?
    Tell me about it. I don't think it is GS/EB's problem, though. The download actually came from trymedia.com, and customer support is handled by them as well. My assumption is that Trymedia borked up the game and GS/EB was just responsible for promotion and/or availability.

Interesting tidbit: Trymedia Games is a division of RealNetworks, Inc., the ones behind RealPlayer, Rhapsody, RealArcade, etc.

Yes, the packaging is done by TryMedia, using an encryption method called ActivMark.

I didn't have any luck in finding a decryption/unpacking tool, though.

Ah. I wondered why you sent me that TryMedia post over IRC (come to think of it, did you post that?), and when I saw their name on my e-mail receipt, I understood.

In other news: it works!
    I obtained copies of the real versions of the crfs (ones that hadn't been tampered with, in other words), replaced mine with those, and then replaced my original thief.exe with the one from DDFix. Worked like a charm; even the widescreen patch! Happy day! I thank you all for your help!

So I just saw the Eidos has a download of Thief Gold as well. Had I known that, I would have gotten it from them, instead. Of course, it's selling for the same price as EBGames is selling it for; who knows, it might be the same FailMedia version.
    Last edited by Enchantermon; 4th Apr 2009 at 13:18. Reason: Fixed TryMedia's name.

Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3813182328333843444546474849505152535863687378838893 ... LastLast