TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 57 of 98 FirstFirst ... 71217222732374247525354555657585960616267727782879297 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2446

Thread: Thief 1/2 & SShock 2: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch - discussion

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    I used to write OpenGL drivers.
    Holy cow!

So, would there really be any particular advantage to a DX6-to-OpenGL wrapper?

Possible better linux compatibility?

Fixing fog is the primary goal and currently the only goal. I can't remember the last time I myself saw fog, so that is my motivation.
    If this is done I'm going to drink much of vodka.

I'm talking about improving DDFix to get fog working, and maybe other improvements, but also incorporating the excellent and essential Enhanced Resolution patch (aka the Widescreen patch)
    My God, no. There are indeed people like me who try not to mess with some third-party stuff that change the core game. Or, at least, make this resolution patch optional.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Spair View Post
    My God, no. There are indeed people like me who try not to mess with some third-party stuff that change the core game. Or, at least, make this resolution patch optional.
    Of course, everything should be optional. But the patch doesn't change any gameplay, not really. It only allows Thief to run at higher resolutions common nowadays that weren't in late 1990s early 2000s.

On a different note, I sold a load of my motorcycle spares to pay for my new gfx card - Gigabyte HD5870 so I`ll be testing T1/T2/T3/DM on that this week.. and my Gainward GS GTX285(1yr wrnty) will be going spare.....

Hi

I noticed - since I use the patched DromEd.exe - that i can't set the DromEd's window resolution (edit_screen_size) to 800x600. It's either 640,480 or 1024,768 with both isn't 100% comfortable with my 1280,800 screen (I'm working now on 1024x768 but I always have to make the taskbar disappear).

Also it would be nice if I could minimize my DromEd now while it's portalizing so I can use my computer for other purposes. DromEd however is alwas on top now.

Have you tried using the D3DWindower with DromEd to see if it fixes your always-on-top issue?
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...DromEdMinimise

I'm still having issues with Thief 1.33
    The cutscenes appear to work, but after I begin mission, it crashes, with the error "Error: Direct3d device driver does not accurately report texture memory usage"
    I have a GTX 260 with the latest drivers, an AMD 5600+ dual core, and XP.

That's a graphics card initialization problem... if you don't have ddfix installed, try installing it. If it is installed, change the resolution in ddfix.ini to something that you know works.

Quote Originally Posted by mudi View Post
    That's a graphics card initialization problem... if you don't have ddfix installed, try installing it. If it is installed, change the resolution in ddfix.ini to something that you know works.
    Oops, forgot to mention that I've done both of those, still getting the problem..

Look in the Thief FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Look in the Thief FAQ.
    Did that a while ago. overwrote the .exe, and ddfixed the new one, still doesn't work.

Are you by any chance running in a compatibility mode? Try playing with those settings. Also, make SURE that you are trying a resolution that both your video card and monitor support... people have made that mistake before

Quote Originally Posted by mudi View Post
    Are you by any chance running in a compatibility mode? Try playing with those settings. Also, make SURE that you are trying a resolution that both your video card and monitor support... people have made that mistake before
    I have tried all those things. I have had to force restart many times due to it locking and inability to access task manager through ctrlaltdel, I am pretty much ready to give up.

this is a know issue, that I am sure is covered in the FAQ. I see you have a modern gfx card so shouldnt be having this problem. Can you bullet point all the steps you have taken so far..

Here are I think most of the things I've done (testing it between each one)
    -Download .exe file found in faq
    -patch it with ddfix.
    -set to compatibility mode
    -try different resolutions (matching them up correctly)
    -Use one of the prepatched .exes
    -lower nvidia settnings

• what version of thief 2 have you got
    • What nvidia driver version are you using..
    • What ddfix version are you using..

nb. you dont need compatibility mode as your using windows XP

Darn it. My first step was simply to get Timeslip's DX9 version of ddfix to run on my system, but it doesn't. It's a shame, but not terminal. It just means that I'll be doing some debugging first before I can start writing the fog shader stuff. I also have an idea for the newer ddfix (that uses DX6) that may, or may not, give us fog.

I haven't seen fog for ages - I'm determined to try and resolve that issue (without buying new video cards).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SiO2
    I used to write OpenGL drivers.
    Holy cow!
    Yup. I'm currently a games developer working on X360/PS3/PC(DX9-DX11) titles. I'm working on my third AAA game. Previously I've written a shader converter for ATI, written D3DQuake that MS put on their DX5 website and other stuff I've probably forgotten.

So, would there really be any particular advantage to a DX6-to-OpenGL wrapper?
    Perhaps not. The issues we have with fog, for example, are down to how T2 passes it geometry data to the graphics driver - if nvidia's Direct3D driver can't do fog then I'm unsure whether we'd have any more luck with nvidia's GL driver. It would be a very interesting side project for me though - perhaps I'll have a go at it someday.

Very first thing on the agenda is to get fog working a bit better though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    I haven't seen fog for ages - I'm determined to try and resolve that issue (without buying new video cards).
    thanks for looking into this, we all appreciate it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    • what version of thief 2 have you got
    • What nvidia driver version are you using..
    • What ddfix version are you using..

nb. you dont need compatibility mode as your using windows XP
    I'm trying to get Thief 1 to work (1.33)
    6.14 I think?
    DDfix 1.3.11

Quote Originally Posted by Lhet View Post
    6.14 I think?
    Hmm thats not a driver version number I recognise, ati or nvidia..?

Said it was a GTX 260 which is an nVidia card.

That isn't a proper version for an nVidia driver... maybe try upgrading your drivers?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

some textures missing

Argh, does anyone know what's causing this:

Fresh install of Thief 2, patched. ddfix applied on a 'fixed' exe. No other modifications. This is one of many striped textures that are showing up in the first mission of Thief 2. Either that, or they're simply black.
    Last edited by doctorfrog; 2nd Nov 2009 at 23:56.

See if changing "Thief2Extensions" in ddfix.ini has any effect.

Page 57 of 98 FirstFirst ... 71217222732374247525354555657585960616267727782879297 ... LastLast