TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 230 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819242934394449545964114 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Looks like you have the hang of texture alignment, too - that' a key skill/habit to develop.

Now try adding a 4' brush of a different texture aligned with the floor (like paneling going part way up the wall). If that works out, add a 1' crown molding around the ceiling. Both are pretty easy - clone the room's airbrush, then adjust the height and the Z coordinate of the new brush. Reportalize, then retexture.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
    Wooo Hoo! This is so trivial... but looky what I did I so happy
    Reminds me off Jailbreak 1.0

I was happy with it at the time...

Well, like they use to say.....

a copy of Thief 2....how much...10 euros, dollars?
    entering your first room is priceless!

I still remember that wonderful feeling...

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Today I started DromEd, but that was all. I looked at the mess that is my brushwork and just couldn't get myself to do anything. I felt all empty inside
    I remember this feeling from working on my first mission. Hopefully this is only momentary, sometimes it's just not a perfect day for dromeding.

I'm happy that mission I'm working on is quite large. So when I starts Dromed there is plenty of things to do. That's good to me, because if creating one area becomes boring to me I have many other areas to jump to and work on something different there. This way I waste less time on thinking like "I don't know what to do next", "I don't have an idea how to finish this building", "I'm not sure what should I built here" which happened to me many times when I was working on my first, much smaller, FM. I can work on something else and think about answers for those questions at the same time, then go back and finish what I left behind when I'm ready. I only hope that I will force myself to finish ALL this left behind areas sometime. Because it's obvious to me that some day there will be no place to run away from things that have to be finished. Anyway it won't happen soon, for now my mission is still growing, ideas for new places jumps out of my head faster then I can build them
    "Reliance upon others is weakness for the strong, but strength for the weak. Wisdom and balance lie in knowing your own nature over time"
    The Box, WL

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Today I started DromEd, but that was all. I looked at the mess that is my brushwork and just couldn't get myself to do anything. I felt all empty inside
    Could it be that you lack a plan?

I tend not to make detailed plans for my missions, and that's one reason why I think I take so long.

What I find more helpful is my 'To Do' list where I write down things I should do but that I can't be bothered doing (or don't have time for) at that moment. It's a nice feeling when I can look at the list in full-screen without there being a vertical scrollbar.

I think it's like ghost_in_the_shell said: Yesterday just wasn't a good day for DromEd. Getting some sleep and just doing nothing for a while is sometimes the best cure.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Could it be that you lack a plan?

I tend not to make detailed plans for my missions, and that's one reason why I think I take so long.
    I'm the exact opposite of you then, R Soul, and believe it or not, I think that's the reason why I take so long. My biggest problem is that I plan out my mission in way too much detail, then worry about how to make it all happen during building. I'm talking about multiple worksheets of an Excel spreadsheet with readable texts, objectives, character descriptions, plot details, conversations, individual room contents, approximate build times for each area or room, and a detailed loot list, as well as hand drawn maps on graph paper. Basically, I have far more planning time (usually at work) than I do actual Dromed time (at home). If I could reverse that for even a week, I'd probably be done with my mission.

Ah well, ...it is what it is...

You sound like me. I use Word docs mostly, one Plan doc with design points, objectives, etc. and another Voice Script doc with all the conversations and other voicework. I've been working the last few days on the Plan/Outline for DCE now that we have a finalized synopsis, and it's currently mostly half done at 9 pages.

After uinstalling DROMED close to 5 years ago, I've decided to put it back on my computer. All my previous missions are gone, but atleast my custom textures weren't deleted. Today I did the groundwork for a city mission. I have a fairly good concept/story for it and I'll probably work on it when I have some free time, though I doubt it'll ever be finished. I've got the basic streets mapped out though its still going to require a lot of tweaking. Then comes the monstrous challenge of making the mass of rectangular prisms resemble a real city. I'll post some screens if any part of it becomes presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Looks like you have the hang of texture alignment, too - that' a key skill/habit to develop.

Now try adding a 4' brush of a different texture aligned with the floor (like paneling going part way up the wall). If that works out, add a 1' crown molding around the ceiling. Both are pretty easy - clone the room's airbrush, then adjust the height and the Z coordinate of the new brush. Reportalize, then retexture.
    I'm doing that and have come across a few issues... the air brush needed to be made a solid brush, otherwise it was invisible. Next the paneling was too large, I am now playing with the scale but it turns it dark green but I'll keep playing with it. I might try a molding for the paneling too, it looks kind of strange without it.

It turned green because the lightmap breaks when alignment/scale/rotation are changed. The normal colour returns when you relight.

So here's what I have so far... a real annoying feature is that it cuts the panels in half, nobody would actually build panels like that.... I'm not sure how to fix that. Maybe I'll just try putting molding on it and call it good. Another annoying feature I've noticed with dromed is it isn't intuitive as to selecting the brush you are trying to select... you click on one brush, and it keeps selecting everything BUT the one you want... grrr

Other than that, it's coming along nicely

almost forgot, here's the screenie lol

ZylonBane
    It's amazing how well certain textures completely obscure Thief's low-res lightmaps.

Gripper

Select each side of that panel, click on the 'V', (right side of the screen, near the command box) and drag the panel texture up.
    Do it with light bright on.

Classical Master 2008
    Those are some beautiful shots, Vlad Midnight! It is great to see a new Thief Gold mission in production - there is no school like the old school!

Gripper: congartulations on starting Dromed. Join usssss! One thing I'd recommend is to break your cubes as soon as you can; build your spaces out of a jumble of various brush types; learn the use of cylinders (hexagonal, octagonal and 10-sided have a different feel to them, and you can do pretty cool vaults by cloning and rotating one if it is in place), wedges and pyramids. That's the route to pleasant looking levels and, of course, insanity.

On my own front, this was one productive weekend; built a few streets, apartments and a creepy little trap... Only problem is that at this rate, I'll run out of terrain brushes before I put everything I wanted into my level.

On this weekend I finished 2 new turkish bodyguards Tooks 2 days. If I have to work this much with all, I never get onto his end.

----------
    Last edited by Sensut; 18th Feb 2008 at 13:15.

While working on the warehouse-like building today I lost some time panicking because of blackboxes (yeah, block vision) appearing on whbaydoor1 model where they shouldn't:

It took me almost half of an hour to realise, that optimization fixes it by simplifying near surfaces:

Also I noticed that this door model is really strange - probably poorly made (?) I can see some strangely extended surfaces when the door is open. It's like the sides of the door are wider then the door itself

So now I'm looking for some nice replacement browsing websites of some talented Taffers. Or maybe there is one in the EP? Must check it out too...
    "Reliance upon others is weakness for the strong, but strength for the weak. Wisdom and balance lie in knowing your own nature over time"
    The Box, WL

Working on a new rug right now :

This is useful to make real corners to your stripes of carpets in a mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensut View Post
    On this weekend I finished 2 new turkish bodyguards Tooks 2 days. If I have to work this much with all, I never get onto his end.

----------
    Well, I for one can say. Bout damn time to get a half nekkid man model around here, TY!! Your hard work has paid off.

Classical Master 2008
    ghost_in_the_shell: did you resize the bay doors from the originals? If you did, that's probably the cause of the error.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts View Post
    Well, I for one can say. Bout damn time to get a half nekkid man model around here, TY!! Your hard work has paid off.
    The only part which I hate is the skin edition. But right as soon as possible to be over on it.

My site don't working (and I don't know from what?), the child is crying, there is a spider on the wall... .

Last edited by Sensut; 19th Feb 2008 at 06:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    ghost_in_the_shell: did you resize the bay doors from the originals? If you did, that's probably the cause of the error.
    That is right! And similar happens on the original roofs. There will be a good big slot on one of their sides .

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    I did not resize the object. It have this issue just after creating it in Dromed

Unfortunatelly I don't see any reworked model avalaible. I searched LPG, Vigil's, R Soul's, Yandros', Targa's, JasonOttos', Naks&TdBonko's sites with no luck.
    This mismatched surfaces looks really bad in my opinion so if anyone know about better model, please guide me to it
    The Box, WL

Page 14 of 230 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819242934394449545964114 ... LastLast