TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Oh my, I would love to see a movie of that!

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Experiment Number 342b:

(and yes, the mist moves)
    o wow that looks cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I'll have a go at making one this evening, depends when I get home from jurying...

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGuy View Post
    Looks nice, MoonAchilles!
    Im glad you like them PGuy. Been looking in some architecture books to get some inspiration..

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Here you go. You'll probably need to view it in 720p to see it properly.

I guess I should edit this into my previous reply, but hey... Finally started to getting around to fixing the external windows so that they look lit (and give off light):

I've been vaguely conflicted about this, as it's obviously possible for the player to darken large areas of the exterior, but I decided that the messing around needed to make the windows outside go dark when appropriate was over the top. It's less 'realistic' but meh...

Bah, come on, someone other than me post!

While working on the lighting, I just decided to try a full light of the level - took 47 minutes, and this is not a really old rig

I also managed, while testing the outside, to get the poly count to go over 1000 in places where I thought I was safely under 950 before. It only happens in two places, where you have clear views all the way down the side and front of the building, and I might be able to fudge a fix in by adding extra buildings to forcibly shorten the view, but it's bloody annoying.

With a time of 47 minutes it sounds like you have a few infinite radius lights.

I need to double-check them all to be sure, but I'm pretty confident they all have radii set

I've been adding weather effects to my village mission, and I figured I'd work out how to make a video to show em off. Turns out it's pretty easy! So here is a short preview of some of the first mission in my campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlc3nWRZllA

My first Yootoob video, yay!!!1

I love the rain sound effects when you're indoors or under an eave!

Personally, its the attention to detail in the rain coming off the roofs in sheets that I like the best. Most excellent!

Archivist
    Ditto about the rain effects . The rain of the roofs from belboz's Washout Central and the rain sound indoors is, as far as I know, new. Great work nicked! And it looks very nice too.
    Does the rain sound indoors effect the AI's ability to hear Garrett?

I also like that fog, Watcher! Very cool.

I used the effect in a couple of places in All Torc, but it's nice to hear it being used much more extensively.

For some time I've been unable to compute my pathfinding database. Dromed kept giving me the unlinked vator message. I was convinced that I only had one vator, and it was linked properly. Monolog had the error message and the ID's of the two TerrPt's for the good vator, which didn't help because it pointed me in the wrong direction. I gave up because there was only one area missing from the database, and it's probably too small for the AI to get through anyway. I just assumed something had gotten left behind after deleting some other vator I'd used.

A couple of days ago I decided to have another go. Just to see what would happen, I deleted the good vator, redid pathfinding and when it finished, this other object appeared at the first TerrPt. I wouldn't have noticed it had it not been rotated by 45 degrees. The object name is ViewPoint, which is a CamVator. Then it dawned on me: I'd set up this really complex conversation for the player to watch, but because the CamVator doesn't move, I'd forgotten the minor detail of setting up a TerrPt for it.
    Last edited by R Soul; 22nd Jan 2011 at 18:00.

You should have mentioned that, at this point it's rather easy to track down the cause of obscure errors like that.

I've decided that I'm going to have to cave in and replace all the brushwork forming the belt courses on the rest of the building exterior with objects (hitherto I'd only replaced the belt courses around the north end of the building) - a few experiments show I'd be saving a good 200 polys in the views from from the dangerous areas that way, for only a few extra objects. I can spare objects, I certainly can't spare polys

I've replaced my button-odometer based combination safe with a glyph-based magic door setup. (Sorry for the darkness.)

Also laying cobwebs in my attic. Those cobs have been at it for a while, and I need to catch up!
    dump001..jpg

Since Monday this week, my home computer is in a coma, so no DromEd until I fix that

Parts of win2k's registry got corrupted after a forced reboot, so right now win2k refuses to start. My floppy drive stopped working too, so I can't reinstall nor try to repair the damage, because the installation disc can't recognize my harddrives without third-party drivers, which are on a floppy. My systemdisk seems okay, but it might have taken some damage too.

I'm taking this as a sign to finally ditch win2k and go XP, but I am still going to order a new floppydrive, though, and see if I can repair my current win2k-installation. I'll probably get a new harddrive too for XP, but until then, all my FM-projects will be on hold (except maybe for writing some readables).

My filedisk should still be functioning, but I also have backups of all my work, so nothing important (Thief-wise) has been lost.

Still using Windows 2000 instead of 7, or at least XP, is a little odd, but... having a floppy drive in your computer? Is this 1992?
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 26th Jan 2011 at 15:08.

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    My brother was still using Windows '98 up until two year ago, when upgrading his computer hardware compelled him at last to upgrade to XP. For whetever reason, he just wouldn't let it go.

On another note, when is a good time to request an alpha test? In about two weeks I expect to finish with the brushes, but I have very few textures/lights/objects done. It's just a one-textured empty level. Is an alpha test even needed?

Well, the only thing you could test would be if the player is able to reach areas he is not supposed to and if there are too complex areas (i.e. Thief crashes).
    But a test might be useful in this stage before putting in all the objectives, only to realize that it won't work because the game crashes in an area required for a certain objective etc.

I debated quite a bit about whether or not to actually upload this...

Looks eerie

It's probabaly the still shot, and when the mist/fog is moving it doesn't look this way, but in the still shot, the mist/fog looks too high off the ground, at least to me. I think it should be more ground hugging.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Still using Windows 2000 instead of 7, or at least XP, is a little odd, but... having a floppy drive in your computer? Is this 1992?
    Are you really that surprised to find mentions of Windows 2000 and floppy drives at a forum about a 10+ year old game?

Well, I really like Windows 2000; it's been very stable (except for the recent incident ) and has all the features I need without the bling bling, but you do have a point, of course: Windows 2000 is quickly becoming obsolete these days with more and more developers, including Microsoft, dropping support for it.

Even if I can fix my current installation I am probably going to install Windows XP and then later this year when I get the funds for it, I'll get an entirely new machine with Windows 7.

Another point for keeping windows 2000 was as a backup if I wouldn't be able to install Thief and DromEd on newer systems, which is a high priority for me (at least until i have finished all my current FM-projects).

Page 141 of 227 FirstFirst ... 419196101106111116121126131136137138139140141142143144145146151156161166171176181186191 ... LastLast