TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    Here's what I spent the last 2,5 hours with:

Less than 400 polys in gamemode
    Wow Intruder ! Is it:The Nautilus from 20,000 leagues under the sea?

Yes, it's the Walt Disney version which is a bit different compared to the one used in the original novel (I think it was drawn by either Alphonse de Neuville or …douard Riou):

Now I only have to figure how to create such wonderful underwater scenes as described in the novel.

Yes, it's the Walt Disney version which is a bit different compared to the one used in the original novel (I think it was drawn by either Alphonse de Neuville or …douard Riou):

Now I only have to figure how to create such wonderful underwater scenes as described in the novel.
    You'll have to use some objects to keep framerates under control-aquatic plant objects, hill objects (sluggs made some hills I reskinned and used in Icebase 1). Check out Christine's Pirate's Ahoy series and you'll find lots of sealife ai's as well.

Thanks for the tip! The shark and the crab are just what I was looking for.

I'm currently zipping up the objects I used in Stones and Glass Houses. I'm doing them individually rather than a big pack because there is rarely a common theme.

I'm writing books and other readables for my mission. I do enjoy it, but I always tend to get a bit too carried away... For example I'm now writing this diary of a main character with some (hopefully) interesting background information and stuff about him.

The problem is that I'm already on page 10, and I've still got a lot of things to cover that would contain some clues and explain the plot for the player.

I know that using a diary to tell the story is such a clichť, and I should try to combine many ways of story-telling (conversations, readables, cutscenes, etc), but I can't think of any better way in this case... and I'm worried that no one will bother reading the whole text, and even if they can still probably finish the mission by following the objectives, they'll miss a huge part of the story.

Perhaps you can still use only readables, but spread the story out between his diary, some letters, a news article, someone else's journal, and the like. In other words, not all one big long text.

Tomi:
    Maybe you can find a suitable voice actor who would read the text. You could then fade the screen to black and play the sound.

I was working on the interior of the Nautilus and almost finished the upper deck:

The galley:

The lounge viewed from outside:

Tomi:
    Maybe you can find a suitable voice actor who would read the text. You could then fade the screen to black and play the sound.

I was working on the interior of the Nautilus and almost finished the upper deck:

The galley:

The lounge viewed from outside:
    Too Cool Intruder !Are you going to place a pipe organ in Captain-Nemo's- Garrett's Room?

Actually I didn't plan to integrate one into his room due to space limitations. But I might give it some more thought.

Actually I didn't plan to integrate one into his room due to space limitations. But I might give it some more thought.
    Cool ! if you decide to later on, I can send you a multibrush of a pipe organ. It can be sized down. The one I am using is a large model. You can take a peak at it soon. at least by Halloween.

During the test I can't find the key for that door. Simply I forgot where I left, so today I placed a cannon by Gort to open it .

Way Cool ! Sensut. I get sick of key hunts too. Looks like that guard ended up with a slight headache being too suspicious.

Awesome! The whole scene is great looking. Wow.

Shouldn't the wood need to be lit to set off the cannon? Or am I missing something? I thought you would light the wood in your hand from the torch, then use it to set off the cannon. ??

The guard was not in the plan, I hit him accidentally, fortunately. Now there is need for an additional development that let the bodies splash if the cannon bullet hits them.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Awesome! The whole scene is great looking. Wow.

Shouldn't the wood need to be lit to set off the cannon? Or am I missing something? I thought you would light the wood in your hand from the torch, then use it to set off the cannon. ??
    That torch has embers, only does not show on the video.

That's absolutely fantastic, Sensut! Brilliant, and lovely mission to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Perhaps you can still use only readables, but spread the story out between his diary, some letters, a news article, someone else's journal, and the like. In other words, not all one big long text.
    Yup, I've thought about it a lot, it would just be so much simpler to tell the whole story in one big long text, but then no one would be bothered to read it. If I scatter the information all around the mission, I'll have to simplify things so much that the player will surely be able to put the pieces together and figure out what's going on. For me it's really important that the player understands the story, even though the stories in my previous missions probably weren't such masterpieces.

intruder: The voice actor is a pretty cool idea, especially as the diary entry in question is pretty crucial for the story, but would anyone be interested to listen to all that either? Would it be possible to display the text in the book AND play the spoken text on the background?

I'll throw in another question about readables... Is there a way to center text (horizontally and vertically) on a page? I'm trying to put the title of the book in the middle of the first page, but Dromed doesn't seem to care about empty spaces (or ALT+255) in the text. I feel like I'm missing something totally obvious.
    Last edited by Tomi; 16th Oct 2011 at 16:54.

1) No way to play a sound other than the book reading ambient when in book mode. You could however fade to black, put the player in a black room and freeze them, then put the words on screen while playing the voice lines. Or for that matter, you could have images of book art with words on it and put them up in front of the player in sequence with fade out/in transitions. Might look pretty cool.

2) Book text can't be centered on book art (when reading) as far as I know. As you found, padding is ignored. However, onscreen text is centered, so you can get that using the first thing I suggested above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    I'll throw in another question about readables... Is there a way to center text (horizontally and vertically) on a page? I'm trying to put the title of the book in the middle of the first page, but Dromed doesn't seem to care about empty spaces (or ALT+255) in the text. I feel like I'm missing something totally obvious.
    You can align titles in ParchEd. Just put a character like this Ő or ” as very first character on a page then use Space to align the title. An unrendered character is needed for any new pages if you want a paragraph for the first row. A character that is not appearing in-game. I always use this Ő and ”.

Thanks, Sensut! I never knew that trick. I tried it in the past with a period (.) but since it's still visible I didn't keep it.

You're welcome . Sometime in ParchEd the Ő is changed to something after save. Just put a "." (dot) instead temporary to edit the text, save the file then open it in Notepad and change the dot to Ő.

Do you save as unicode or as text to do that? Unicode is not readable and txt changes the character to O.

The Ő is not obligatory, just I said as example. I use it because I have Hungarian Windows. You can find another character that is not rendered by Thief like ( ľ ). Just I typed Alt+150 in Notepad for example.

Anyway, if in Parched changes, use the "dot" method above.

When I type Ő in Parched and save the file as "book text" results this:

page_0: "O OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

and after I change the first character in Notepad results this:

page_0: "Ő OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

where the Ő is not rendered, only the O-s are visible with a paragraph before them.
    Last edited by Sensut; 17th Oct 2011 at 12:05.

” worked for me. Great tip!

Page 160 of 232 FirstFirst ... 60110115120125130135140145150155156157158159160161162163164165170175180185190195200205210 ... LastLast