TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 227 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429343944495459109 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Percentages are so variable anyway, if only the function could create the roombrushes 0.10 units larger than their brush, rather than using a percentage...
    so, I presume that none of the script-guru's around could change that then???

Well here's what I've been working on.

Electric chair (way in the back there)

Unfortunately I'm at that stage where the only thing left to do are all the things I've been putting off

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    If the player stands in between two room brushes, both locations get highlighted on the map if there's an overlap, which is fine...
    I'm pretty sure that ther player can only ever be in one roombrush at once, which would mean only one automap location at once.

And having zero overlap on your roombrushes appears to work fine (and some crazy authors always insist on doing it), but it seems to me that it makes it much harder to see which parts of your map are roombrushed and which are not.

Sliptip.....that's......Dark Engine?
    I swear that looks like Nova Prospekt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I'm pretty sure that ther player can only ever be in one roombrush at once, which would mean only one automap location at once.
    Yes, that seems reasonable, but you never know... :P I was mostly trying to (more or less forcedly) think up situations where zero overlap could be a disadvantage (or even become a real showstopper).

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice
    it seems to me that it makes it much harder to see which parts of your map are roombrushed and which are not.
    That's a good point, but you can keep track of that in other ways. One way could be "Terrain brushes with textures applied are room brushed and terrain brushes with jorge are not." or is this just me being nave? I plan on doing it that way, anyway.

The advantage with zero overlap ( = smaller room brush) as I understood it was that it's easier to fit a room brush in tight spaces (without it overlapping into disjoint room brushes) and you avoid the clutter.

I have read a lot of threads about room brushing in The Editors' Guild and everyone has said that room brushes should (the word used has been "should", not "must") overlap, but no one has actually said exactly why and it seems that everyone has just accepted the default as an unbreakable rule. No one has really questioned the default setting (at least not publicly) until now.

Maybe the only real reason for using an overlap is that it makes it easier to see the room brush?

I only overlap room brushes on doors. I have propagation issues otherwise, i.e. lock and unlock sounds seem further away.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I also like roombrushing, even though I build my towns in the 'lots of solids in a big air brush' method. I really don't understand why some people claim that that makes roombrushing a nightmare.

OK...I'll send you my next project. Have fun,

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    OK...I'll send you my next project. Have fun,
    ohh ohhh...

Quote Originally Posted by ataricom View Post
    I only overlap room brushes on doors. I have propagation issues otherwise, i.e. lock and unlock sounds seem further away.
    Are you using one or two room brushes for the doorway?

Actually two, if not three. If it's two, it's one on each side of the door. Three when it's a sliding door.

I just tested with non-overlapping room brushes for doorways and it works for me at least (all door sounds are okay).

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    Well here's what I've been working on.
    Impressive! You really know how to use those brushes

Looks like some nice improvements since the last Alpha, Slip - did you lower the ambient light a little? I can't wait for Alpha3... you guys are not going to believe how amazing this mission looks in game, it shatters all the current standards.

Thanks everyone!

Yandros did the ambient light need to come down a bit (did you start with a centered gamma?) I swear I'm lost with this new monitor of mine. It doesn't help that most of the brick textures are white either.

My monitor's also one of those streched out ones 1440x900, so I've been building with a streched view. I hope it's not too cramped and compressed when people play it

jtr7
    Heh. Who knows? Your monitor may actually improve how you build!

Hahah I'm kinda hoping that's the case!

No I didn't think so, the new shots just seemed a little darker, that's all.

Sliptip, these screenshots are fantastic, Impressive of realism !

Slip's stuff is so good it's scary. I'm planing a home invasion to make him do all my brush/texture work from now on.

"That's good...good...now Optimize damn it!"

I'll hold off until his latest release of course.

Oh Yeah...what I'm working on now. "Sly's U.T. Arena II"

I won't post a screen since the mission is basically one big room with a half dozen different textures. But I can promise two textures that are quite...unique. Not necessarily good mind you...but unique. :grin: This version will make version 1 seem like a cake walk. You better be damn good if you want to survive!
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 20th Jan 2008 at 09:04.

. . .funny I had the same in mind for you. . .

"I need voice acting bitch! now sound scared. . .that's it. . .that's it. . ."

ZylonBane
    I'm getting an overpowering "Deep Cover" vibe from those screenshots...

I'm two brushes below the limit and that's only because I just deleted three terrain brushes and replaced them with one object

For too long now I've been reluctant to start bringing my level to life because of the number of objects I'll need, and the overall brush limit. Now I've decided to just do it. If I decide to alter the terrain brushes (which is not very likely now), I can just make multibrushes of objects, delete the objects to reduce brush count, and reload them after the final optimise.
    Last edited by R Soul; 20th Jan 2008 at 18:32.

Good luck with that brother.

Well, back to Ed. I have finished a block from the castle, but it's just a small part of the level. Now I start the another block and the basement. Next then I have the mountains and some small willages... Maybe I have to cut the mission into two parts because does not fit into one. The brushes pile up quickly...

-----

Just started a mission in DromEd 2. I truly tried to build small and cosy mission and... succeed? Now it's 200x400 units and it still grows up.
    Base brushes are placed, now I tried to apply textures and don't like a result. Remove textures and try again and again...

Page 9 of 227 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429343944495459109 ... LastLast