TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dearth of Stealth Games

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Does the US version of Siren have the god-awful English dub that was included with the European version? (The majority of the characters would have British accents.)

Quote Originally Posted by poroshin
    P.S.: Speaking of WW2, there seems to be an upcoming WW2-themed stealthy game called Saboteur that looks halfway decent actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnMWWatOf5Y, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8RyqIyOnPg

It´s called "Velvet Assassin" now. It doesn´t feature new gameplay mechanics or an innovative setting but tries to combine features to a new (hopefully tasty) mix.

Some of the features. Bon apetit:

Over 50 different variants of killing/k.o. ing NPCs
    Bullet time
    RPG elements like talent points and abilities
    Dream sequences
    In game hints give you directions to real life buried "nazi gold".

Maybe we´ll see another decent game from a German developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hesche View Post
    It´s called "Velvet Assassin" now.
    Pandemic homepage still has it as "Saboteur".
    Anyway, I'm not really interested in it for three reasons:
    1. It's just partly a stealth game, looks like lots of shooting and fighting too.
    2. I grew tired of killing WW2 Germans about the time MOHAA was released.
    3. I hate Pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    PCSX2 is coming along quite nicely these days too, if you're desperate.
    But Forbidden Siren 1/2 still aren't playable.

There are so many of these PS2 games I'd like to play. But find me a truly backward compatible PS3 and I'll be there
    Isn't there a software emulator of PS2 on PS3?

is Best Pony
    Not on all the models, no. The current European 40Gb version, for example, is not backwards-compatible at all.

Still Subjective
    And I don't get why they have done this. The version in all UK shops has NOT PS2 COMPATIBLE all over it.

Twits. I'd pay the extra for PS2 compatibility too.

is Best Pony
    Me too; one of the staff in GAME recently asked if I was waiting for 'the new backwards compatible model' to come out, so I'm holding off to see if he was correct about that rumour.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Regarding Siren, the US version does unfortunately have the crappy voice acting. Worse for me, there are no subtitles.

For fans of Death to Spies (Commando crossed with Hitman), the standalone add-on "The Moment of Truth" is being localized right now for NA and EU audiences. It adds 7 new missions, a slew of upgrades including graphics, gameplay, etc. A demo is planned.

I'm psyched

I actually have Death to Spies but haven't installed it yet.

Man, what I wouldn't give for a new pure-stealth game...

PC Gamering Smartey Man

For what it's worth, all the current models of PS3 still have PS1 backwards compatibility. But with the likes kick arse graphical enhancements (eg upscaling, texture smoothing) provided by PSX emulator GPU plugins, I wouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Regarding Siren, the US version does unfortunately have the crappy voice acting. Worse for me, there are no subtitles.
    So yanks really do have difficulty understanding thick English accents?

I remember reading that they had to subtitle the US version of The Getaway.

is Best Pony
    Sometimes they subtitle programmes for English television that feature British native speakers, if said speakers are considered to be from some provincial non-London 'backwater'.

Matthew: They do that here in the USA, as well. Especially on so-called 'reality shows', no matter the regional dialect.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Not on all the models, no. The current European 40Gb version, for example, is not backwards-compatible at all.

As I understood, 40Gb models don't provide hardware backwards-compatibility, but isn't there a software PS2 emulator on PS3?

is Best Pony
    From the UK Playstation site:

'Will I be able to play my PlayStation 2 format games on my PlayStation 3 40GB?

No, PLAYSTATION 3 40GB will not play any PS2 format titles.'

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    As I understood, 40Gb models don't provide hardware backwards-compatibility, but isn't there a software PS2 emulator on PS3?
    No, there was never complete software emulation of PS2 games.
    The 20/60GB US/Asia models had actual the Emotion Engine and PS2's GPU. The Euro 60GB and US 80GB SKUs had emulation of the Emotion Engine, but still had the physical PS2 GPU. The 40GB has neither, so no PS2 back compat for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    So yanks really do have difficulty understanding thick English accents?
    I can't speak for other Yanks but I definitely have problems; largely because I'm hard of hearing.

Sometimes I can understand a British accent better than I can understand an American one, sometimes I can't. It all boils down to regional accents, which I'm finding out a few suprisingly weird things about my ability to understand. For example, I have the hardest time with most varieties of English spoken in the American south- but my ability to understand people from in and around Louisiana is spot-on.

"BBC English" is of course quite easy for me to understand, and in turn there are several regional accents I have great difficulty with. Cockney, for example, gives me trouble.

And of course, the clarity of the speaker is also a big factor. It's why I don't like being in the inner city because most of the folks there are all WIG WAH MUH FUH SCHWING BIBBITY WAH. Only thing that gets them to go away is to say "Sorry, I'm broke".

Still Subjective
    Ha ha. I like it dethtoll.

It's funny, I've almost never had trouble understanding an American accent (except that dude in King of the Hill who was supposed to be impossible to understand) until I got into The Wire (the BEST thing on TV btw). There have been a few times I had trouble and had to rewind but I go used to it eventually.

Now ENGLISH accents - that's a different thing all together. A strong Scouse or Geordie accent is impossible. But then again, those guys don't even speak English. Not really. Cockney is never an issue but then I did used to live in Laaaandan.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 2nd Jun 2008 at 15:31.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Ha ha. I like it dethtoll.

It's funny, I've almost never had trouble understanding an American accent (except that dude in King of the Hill who was supposed to be impossible to understand)
    You're talking about Boomhauer, right? He's not impossible to understand, you just gotta listen really carefully. And maybe being able to talk the talk helps a bit. Which I can do. Cuz I'm a hick too.

yeah man i tell ya what man that dang ol’ internet man you just go in on there and point and click talk about w w dot w com mean you got nekkid chicks on there man just go click click clickclickclick it’s real easy man

Quote Originally Posted by poroshin View Post
    I actually have Death to Spies but haven't installed it yet.

Man, what I wouldn't give for a new pure-stealth game...
    Install the thing and go for 100% stealth. The game rates your stealth level after each level. You've got nothing to lose except finding something new that is available.

I can count the number of pure stealth games on one hand. It's tough to make games like that and they don't sell in the million(s), which is getting close to the break even point now.

Uh, I'd say The Art of Theft (2008) is pure-stealth. Even if it's a platformer.

--
    L.

Quote Originally Posted by Jashin View Post
    I can count the number of pure stealth games on one hand. It's tough to make games like that and they don't sell in the million(s), which is getting close to the break even point now.
    I can't even list all of the free games/graphics-rendering engines that I know of on both hands. Maybe the TTLG community could dabble with an original idea?

That was the thinking of a Darkmod conversion we were talking about above.

There's no need in reinventing the wheel ... a huge workload would be the AI and visability mechanic. So since that will already be in place, you can coattail on that. From the beginning that's what I was thinking could be really great about TDM ... because we'll (eventually) get sourcecode access, it really allows us to break the core stealth gameplay out into new vistas ... stealth cyberpunk, ninja, spies, 1930s gangsters, scifi ... any setting you want to spend the time creating and tacking on the custom toys for. The core mechanic will already be there.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    That was the thinking of a Darkmod conversion we were talking about above.
    Fantastic! I need to read into The Dark Mod a bit more, but as far as I remember it's going to be at least December before it gets released. It will probably make me go out and buy Doom 3, a game which I hated.

There's no need in reinventing the wheel ... a huge workload would be the AI and visability mechanic. So since that will already be in place, you can coattail on that.

From the beginning that's what I was thinking could be really great about TDM ... because we'll (eventually) get sourcecode access,
    I never knew about the source-code release (just Googled it). It probably won't be for a while, considering id Tech 4 costs a quarter million right now, but that's not really a problem I guess. When I learned that TDM was to be a mod for Doom 3 I cringed a little, not just because I hated the game, but also because I felt that a stealthy SDK should be independently accessible. I'm guessing that the release of the source means that not only TDM, but creations made with it can be 'packaged' separately from Doom 3 for whoever wants them?

Either way, bring on The Dark Mod.

it really allows us to break the core stealth gameplay out into new vistas ... stealth cyberpunk, ninja, spies, 1930s gangsters, scifi ... any setting you want to spend the time creating and tacking on the custom toys for. The core mechanic will already be there.
    I know it sounds a lot like a crossover between System Shock 2 and Thief, but I quite liked the idea of being some kind of space pirate/hacker with a tiny (and very stolen) stealth ship which discreetly limpets onto other vessels so you can board them. Each level being a different ship which you could tackle in an open ended way, hacking electronic systems not only to access areas and materials, but to cause distractions for specific crew members to clear up crowded areas by faking things like automated damage reports from far away sections, etc. Also silly stuff, like meticulously evil players should be able to finish a level by stealing codes and setting off a self-destruct sequence. I quite like the idea of exploring dynamic puzzle/strategy elements along with stealth too.

I'm just spewing out ideas, excuse me.

How about a game where the player character is an alien who has just arrived on present-day Earth? It is physically weak but very much wants to avoid the movie cliché of having to face the military, so hides in the shadows and carries out its motives using a swarm of loyal nanobots. There have got to be many fun things which you can implement with an invisible army of tiny robots doing your bidding.

In hindsight I must have ripped this idea from Dark City, but: A game where you're an expert in advanced psycho-pharmacology and obviously in some kind of messed up situation. To solve puzzles and advance you have to sneak up to characters and extract elements of their personalities somehow, building up a catalogue of chemical character types which then can be stealthily administered to others in order to change their behaviours and thus their environments.

Okay, I'll leave it at that. I don't mind if much of that isn't possible with The Dark Mod. I just wanted to vent it.