TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dearth of Stealth Games

Taking a break
    Yeah, and no one puts water drainages in these, because no one wants to store ten thousand cubic meters of shit.

[Edit]Fifth page of the stealth thread begins with stormwater management procedures

is Best Pony
    Wrong, they just don't mix. Besides, this is ever so slightly not the point.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Andarthiel View Post
    Unfortunately there has been a bit of a decline in decent stealth games lately. Hitman and Splinter Cell are rubbish and can't even hold a candle to true classics like Metal Gear Solid, Tenchu and Thief.
    I just hope they make a good solid sequel to MGS4.
    MGS' gameplay is like pro wrestling compared to SC: Chaos Theory's pro boxing.

Also the Tenchu series has been garbage ever since the PS2 days.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Yes well the core of MGS' gameplay dates back to the 80s. It's not meant to be strictly realistic; just fun.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    MGS' gameplay is like pro wrestling compared to SC: Chaos Theory's pro boxing.

Also the Tenchu series has been garbage ever since the PS2 days.
    I can respect your opinion on MGS and Tenchu but calling SC a stealth game is laughable. I played it of course and it felt really like an action game to me akin to RE(just without the monsters).And the controls were even worse,not smooth or agile at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Andarthiel View Post
    ...calling SC a stealth game is laughable. I played it of course and it felt really like an action game to me akin to RE(just without the monsters).And the controls were even worse,not smooth or agile at all.
    Uh, you sound like you didn't even try to play it stealthily. You know, when you give Thief to someone totally new to this, and he runs around trying to fight guards with swords and the bow, and then complains that it's like a really bad action game with bad controls that are not smooth or agile at all. You sound like this, which I just don't understand.

Anyway, the core of SC's gameplay is essentially stolen from Thief - the stealth part, the basic gameplay part. So calling one 'classic stealth', and the other 'not even stealth', is quite WTF.
    Last edited by Malleus; 2nd Jan 2009 at 21:19.

It always seemed to me that the core gameplay of SC is a guessing game. Guess which highly specific way the developers wanted you to approach every obstacle or else you fail and have to reload. No room for experimentation - there's one stealthy route, and if you don't take it, you fail.

That entire series is fucking garbage in my opinion.

If you've played Chaos Theory and can't see the similarities to Thief you're beyond help. I can give a pass on the first two games because of how linear they are and how often they force you to figure out a very specific strategy to advance past certain areas, but Chaos Theory is as wide open as any of the Thief games were and on the hardest difficulty you can't play it like an action game. Of course, I'm not really sure how you could play the first two as action games either since setting off alarms resulted in forced failure.

Last-gen xbox version of Double Agent plays a helluva lot like Chaos Theory, as well. It has wide-open maps and several routes to many optional objectives.

Velvet Assassins is nearly upon us!

Quote Originally Posted by poroshin View Post
    Velvet Assassins is nearly upon us!
    Yay!

Oh and I do agree about Tenchu, the first three are really the only ones worth playing, the rest are meh.

Frictional's Unknown Game

Looks Thiefy:
    http://frictionalgames.com/site/node/88

Crouching, leaning, levitating rats... They're off to a good start.

Tenchu has always been a horrendously flawed series. However it's always been one of my favorites for being one of the few longrunning stealth series and portraying ninjas as STEALTHY rather than magical power rangers like every other video game ever.

After playing Tenchu 4 though, the series is dead to me.

Which one's part 4, Fatal Shadows? I've played parts of the Xbox Tenchu and I thought it was pretty good.

Tenchu 4 (Shadow Assassins) is the one that came out for the Wii/PSP somewhat recently.

Fatal Shadows was a PS2 spinoff.

The Xbox one was Return From Darkness, an expanded release of Tenchu 3: Wrath of Heaven.

There was an Xbox 360 spinoff with a multiplayer focus called Tenchu Z.

Quote Originally Posted by IndieInIndy View Post
    Looks Thiefy:
    http://frictionalgames.com/site/node/88

Crouching, leaning, levitating rats... They're off to a good start.
    Looks very thiefy indeed. They did the Penumbra games.

Yeah, except the fact that it will be another horror game, not a thiefy game. Though I wouldn't rule out some kind of stealth.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Most of my favourite parts of the Thief games were horror...

Penumbra is thiefier than most so-called stealth games. It has a simple but original stealth system which I used all the time (because it was actually scary). I'm expecting no less of unknown.

I got stuck at the beginning of the first Penumbra game though. Otherwise it had cool atmosphere and stealth.

haven't read the whole thread & am not about to do so, but in case anyone missed it nearly 5 years ago now...

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...ght=Robin+Hood

Anymore, most games are moving further away from dedicated stealth gameplay, and more into hybrid games w/shoehorned stealth/action.

Wait, how does "Anymore" fit there grammatically?

that's how we talk in dodge city