TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Dearth of Stealth Games

Knows his stuff
    E3 Stage Demo

Looks a lot more GTA-ish than I'd thought. Shame they don't show of the stealth more in the video.

I like the lead designer though, guy is charmingly nonchalant. Most PR people might be more like "we want to tell the tale of these brave resistance fighters and what they endured blah blah blah" but this guy is just like "ha ha ha no we're just making shit up"

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the link. I watched quite a bit of the Gamespot live E3 coverage, but somehow missed this one.

Wow, that looks fantastic! Thanks for the link. The whole black n/ white to color concept is pretty interesting. Doesn't seem like much stealth really, as it's more of an action game by the looks of it.

I think it could be played stealthily if one chooses. The mechanics should be there, but I could be wrong. Maybe not ghostable, though.

Well of course we're only speculating based on a E3 demo, but surely not ghostable at all. You have to fight in this one.

So of course, to prove the point of the title of the thread, it looks as if stealth games are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by poroshin View Post
    So of course, to prove the point of the title of the thread, it looks as if stealth games are dead.
    perhaps as dead as this thread was before you ressurected it

also dearth =/= death

Also, there's the fact of new Deus Ex and ThiefThiaf games currently being made.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Hitman 5 being in development is one of the worst kept secrets in the industry. Whether or not IO have "action gamed it up" remains to be seen since we know no details of the actual project.

Also thread necromancy for completely arbitrary reasons is frowned upon here. Brush up on your netiquette.

Not arbitrary at all. The point is to bring up the topic again and discuss the current dearth (yes I know what that word means, I started this thread) of stealth games.

Chakat sex pillow
    There's always been a dearth of stealth games. It's a niche genre.

How about that?

Plus, we've had a few Hollywood Stealth titles recently. Alpha Protocol, another Splinter Cell, The Saboteur, and an Assassin's Creed sequel, which is more than just when the usual suspects used to be Thief and Splinter Cell and the odd MGS title.

Stealth's day has passed...

I guess I'm just yearning for a pure stealth game akin to Thief or Splinter Cell (in its earlier incarnations). I don't suppose anything like that will come. I haven't kept up with Thief 4 news, does it promise classic stealth?

I guess I'm just yearning for a pure stealth game akin to Thief or Splinter Cell (in its earlier incarnations).
    Try The Dark Mod.

Quote Originally Posted by poroshin
    Quote Originally Posted by poroshin
    ...bring up the topic again and discuss the current dearth (yes I know what that word means, I started this thread) of stealth games.
    i see.

Anyway, as Sulpher says, it is a niche genre - just because we arn't facing a barrage of new stealth titles, doesn't mean the genre is dead. Not nearly as dead as say, point and click adventure games were 5 years ago, and even they had a revival

I guess I'm just yearning for a pure stealth game akin to Thief or Splinter Cell (in its earlier incarnations). I don't suppose anything like that will come. I haven't kept up with Thief 4 news, does it promise classic stealth?
    Nothing revealed except that ridiculous logo, which they claim is a placeholder.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I think stealth these days has been absorbed into other games without stealth being the major focus. This often does not go well.

I think they just haven't figured out what to do with it beyond what's already been done. And even if they did, they probably don't know how to market it. There are plenty of possibilities out there -- spies, ninjas, assassins, saboteurs, infiltrators, detectives, predators and prey -- but it's like they just can't imagine these games in a pure stealth form, so if they use stealth at all, they have to alloy it with a mechanic they already know there's a market for, FPS or FP-RPG or something. It's stealth-lite. I think it's up to some clever indie devs to stake out new territory, since no one else will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I think it's up to some clever indie devs to stake out new territory, since no one else will do it.
    So, kinda like Frictional with Penumbra and Amnesia?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

2009's Tenchu 4: Stealth Assassins was actually a pretty damn good game. Restoring the credibility that the series lost after a string of terrible games from the last console generation.

I don't think many people have played because it was released only on Wii, a console that a lot of core gamers have ignored; and PSP, a handheld that only about 12 people outside of Japan actually bought.

Taking a break
    Metro 2033 had pretty decent stealth, pity there's not much of it in the game.

I recently installed Fallout 3 and just after a few stealth / melee oriented mods, had it up and running. Sure, it takes a little (but just a little) imagination but brought me immeasurable joy sneaking behind npc's while launching critical backstabs.

In Metro 2033 you could even buy a stealth suit, then throw in a couple of..throwing knives to show those nazis.

verbose douchebag
    Wow. All three of those are looking pretty good. I don't have time for the games I own, let alone new good games :/

It looks to me like Metro: Last Light is shaping up to be more of a straight-up shooter than its predecessor, what with all the lots of shiny new guns and accessories and action-y setpieces. Not that the first game was a slow stealth game by any means, but it didn't have you mowing down hordes of Nazis with a minigun while battle music blared in the background, and I'm highly skeptical as to how applicable stealth will be to this game.

The other two are looking good though.