TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 38131415161718

Thread: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch (including widescreen support)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    thousand things. post your full system specs, and try renaming LGVID.AX to something else (this will disable the videos, it's the very first step you should take when troubleshooting dark games).
    I should have mentioned I already tried the lgvid.ax trick, didn't work.

My system is Core i5-3570K, GTX 670, 8GB DDR3, Asus P8Z77-V, Asus Xonar DG sound card.

Zombified
    are you able to get into the menu, or does it crash right away?

are you able to get into the menu, or does it crash right away?
    No menu, after I run it the screen goes black for a second, like it's trying to launch a fullscreen app, then crashes back to desktop with the "System Shock 2 has stopped working" error.

Quote Originally Posted by Faceless007 View Post
    I installed SSTool 3.6
    Well there's your problem...

I've never had SSTool run under either Win7 or XP x64. To get SS2 working I had to start vanilla, and use xvi32 to mod the .exe for ddfix.

But then I've never had the stupid 'gui' installer for DDFix work either, or the .exe's provided at the top of this thread, or the bat file that's supposed to apply the enhancement pack -- for me it's manually change it or nothing.

Half tempted to make my own upgrade pack -- like say... one that actually works?

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    Did you try setting Lockpicking to "Auto"?
    I have a similarly negative reaction to TDM's lockpicking, along with the still ridiculously hard blackjack...

... and setting lockpicking to 'auto' near as I can tell does jack ****. I literally cannot tell the 'silence' of where you're supposed to hit attack (whcih is so counterintuitive) from the silence between the clicking noises anyhow... and setting it to auto then it NEVER opens.

It's a great achievement so far as total conversions go... but it's not something I'd play instead of TDP or TMA on a regular basis. It's awkward, often annoying, and really ... well... not fun.
    Last edited by deathshadow; 9th Jun 2012 at 06:49.

The new version of DDFix doesn't seem to work on the Steam version of Thief 2. Maybe it's because they used a different .exe without the CD check in it? It worked fine for Thief Gold but I'm only getting 800x600 resolution in Thief 2.

EDIT: Got it! I had to download the old patched Thief2.exe and remove the cd path line from DARKINST.CFG. Seems like you have to do that for both the GoG and Steam versions. Someone should put that into the original post.
    Last edited by Dresden; 9th Jun 2012 at 14:43.

Wouldn't hurt, but it's anyway implied that you have to do that with any version, no matter who's selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    To get SS2 working I had to start vanilla, and use xvi32 to mod the .exe for ddfix.
    ddfix uses memory patching and calling function detection and has only been tested with the exes linked to in this thread. Other executables may work, but even the smallest difference may make ddfix function only partially or crash horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    EDIT: Got it! I had to download the old patched Thief2.exe and remove the cd path line from DARKINST.CFG. Seems like you have to do that for both the GoG and Steam versions. Someone should put that into the original post.
    GoG version already has it commented out, last I checked.

maxres is 2048*2048, if I remember correctly.
    Any clue where that is in the source? Just picked up a nice new 2560x1440 IPS (cheap Potalion 27", non-glossy YAY!!!, no dead/stuck pixels) and think it would be cool to see it full-res. I'm digging through thinking I could patch it up, but dogged if I can figure out where such a limit is set.

Though I will say that the scaler in this looks really nice being fed 1920x1080... not noticing any 'striping', though I suspect the 25% increase in pixel density contributes to that.

Zombified
    it's a dx6 limitation. no way around this, unless you force the rendering to dx8/9. ddfix1.1.1 does this - and it should work pretty well for thief (unfortunately, it is not compatible with system shock2).

I've been playing thief2 in Win7 x64 in optimal conditions, great support ddfix gives, but I installed Windows8 x64 to test it, and I encountered that Thief2 works, but laggy, from menu to game.

Does anyone have any clue on how to solve this?.

Thanks.

Say, I recently got a system with Windows XP on it at a rummage with similar specs to an older system I used to play Thief 2 on. Anyways, I installed DDFIX 1.5.11 and was having a few issues that are almost solved, except:

1. The game's menus are somewhat choppy looking. It only seems to go smoothly when I'm loading an FM. Otherwise, it seems like the ingame cursor is trailing, and menu items are choppy when coming in focus. It works, but it's kinda weird.

2. Another problem, one which wasn't happening before 1.5.11, is that the player camera seems to slowly look upward, and even holding the mouse still doesn't stop it. I dunno why that's happening.

I've updated drivers and such on this system, so I dunno. Any ideas?

PS: It works fine w/o DDFIX from what I've seen so far (minus fog, but other issues are pretty well handled so I'll try out 1.4). But I was just testing out 1.5.11 when these issues arose.
    Last edited by Albert; 4th Sep 2012 at 21:02.

Zombified
    no 2 happens when you set your game resolution to something different than your desktop resolution. escape to menu and return to game will fix it.

no 2 happens when you set your game resolution to something different than your desktop resolution. escape to menu and return to game will fix it.
    Oh, I see. Thanks, dude.

I'll try that out.

I'm coming back to Thief after a long vacation, is DDfix completely compatible with the NewDark thingy etc?

I'm interested in trying Gecko's textures when they're available and this is required for them I believe, right?

Zombified
    no, DDFix is deprecated, and not required anymore. all you need is NewDark.

no, DDFix is deprecated, and not required anymore. all you need is NewDark.
    any plans to make newDark compatiple with Thief 1/Gold??

Need help with adjusting the gamma setting with ddfix 1.19

Hello everybody.

I really need help with this one. As a longtime player of Thief series, I've encountered a problem which I wasn't able to find solution for anywhere on the net that worked for me. I'm really getting desperate because of that. Currently I'm playing a FM called: Schizophrenica - New Dark 64 Cubed Contest. And some of the areas in this mission are very, very dark. I mean pitch black dark. I'm unable to see a single thing while exploring some areas. There are no light sources nearby and is impossible to orientate. I've applied the ddfix patch 1.19 (I think that's the most recent one), now I can play Thief on my Windows 7 64-bit OS and the textures look fine. I can even run it in 1600x900 resolution. But since I've had applied that patch I'm unable to change the gamma settings neither in the official Thief 2 game, nor in the FMs no matter how. The slider for changing the gamma in the video settings of the game is moved completely to the right, but that doesn't affect anything in-game. The game still looks too dark. Even if I move the slider completely to the left, which means it should become completely dark, doesn't change anything in the game itself. The game doesn't get darker. So I abandoned that approach. I also tried different values for gamma in the cam file, ranging from -10.0 to +10.0. But there was no change in the game at all. Also tried to change the ModulateShift=1 in the ddfix file, also ranging from -10.0 to +10.0 (and yes I've removed the semicolon before that line), and yep still no effect. And I also played around with the values for EnableGamma=0.1 in the same ddfix file, but no results whatsoever.

And I should emphasize that Thief 1 and 2 are the only two games I'm experiencing this kind of problems with. All other games don't have this "gamma problem". Means I can change the gamma in the game itself if the game allows it, and it will take immediate effect. Is there anyone who experienced the same thing after applying the ddfix patch?

For me applying the ddfix patch was the only way to run Thief 2 on Windows 7. But therefore I cannot change the gamma values in the game. So anybody who can help me with my little problem, please tell me what should I do to solve this annoying issue? Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhat View Post
    Hello everybody.

I really need help with this one. As a longtime player of Thief series, I've encountered a problem which I wasn't able to find solution for anywhere on the net that worked for me. I'm really getting desperate because of that. Currently I'm playing a FM called: Schizophrenica - New Dark 64 Cubed Contest. And some of the areas in this mission are very, very dark. I mean pitch black dark. I'm unable to see a single thing while exploring some areas. There are no light sources nearby and is impossible to orientate. I've applied the ddfix patch 1.19 (I think that's the most recent one), now I can play Thief on my Windows 7 64-bit OS and the textures look fine. I can even run it in 1600x900 resolution. But since I've had applied that patch I'm unable to change the gamma settings neither in the official Thief 2 game, nor in the FMs no matter how. The slider for changing the gamma in the video settings of the game is moved completely to the right, but that doesn't affect anything in-game. The game still looks too dark. Even if I move the slider completely to the left, which means it should become completely dark, doesn't change anything in the game itself. The game doesn't get darker. So I abandoned that approach. I also tried different values for gamma in the cam file, ranging from -10.0 to +10.0. But there was no change in the game at all. Also tried to change the ModulateShift=1 in the ddfix file, also ranging from -10.0 to +10.0 (and yes I've removed the semicolon before that line), and yep still no effect. And I also played around with the values for EnableGamma=0.1 in the same ddfix file, but no results whatsoever.

And I should emphasize that Thief 1 and 2 are the only two games I'm experiencing this kind of problems with. All other games don't have this "gamma problem". Means I can change the gamma in the game itself if the game allows it, and it will take immediate effect. Is there anyone who experienced the same thing after applying the ddfix patch?

For me applying the ddfix patch was the only way to run Thief 2 on Windows 7. But therefore I cannot change the gamma values in the game. So anybody who can help me with my little problem, please tell me what should I do to solve this annoying issue? Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.
    Short answer; Don't use DDFix.
    Run TFix for Thief 1/Gold: TFix
    Run TafferPatcher for Thief 2: TafferPatcher

Thief 1 and 2 and System Shock 2, have had new patches released for them in the last 6 months.
    And if you are already using v1.19/1.20/1.21, DDFix won't work with those versions anymore, which might explain why changing DDFix settings aren't doing anything.
    That being said, the new patches enable in game gamma to work, even in windowed mode.
    Last edited by AluminumHaste; 9th Apr 2013 at 19:54.

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
    Short answer; Don't use DDFix.
    Run TFix for Thief 1/Gold: TFix
    Run TafferPatcher for Thief 2: TafferPatcher

Thief 1 and 2 and System Shock 2, have had new patches released for them in the last 6 months.
    Thanks for the hint AluminumHaste. I will try it tomorrow. It's already 1:00 AM here in Central Europe. One more question though! Do I have to reinstall Thief 2 or just to remove DDFIX before applying the TafferPatcher in order to work properly?

Well what you would want to do, is uninstall Thief 2. Then put the disc in and run TafferPatcher and point it to your CD drive. The tafferpatcher installer should take care of the rest. Tafferpatcher also works with GOG and Steam version of the game.

Zombified
    I think he actually applied NewDark 1.19, and is just confused, thinking it's a newer ddfix version. the inability to modify gamma setting would indicate a gpu driver problem (intel gpu?) - in that case a driver update is recommended. if that won't help, he should enable (remove ; on the beginning of the line) d3d_disp_no_rgb10_buf in cam_ext.cfg. making a clean install using TafferPatcher is a good idea, whatever the problem is.

btw, this old topic should really be locked.

Administrator
    Agreed. It's useful for historical reference and in case anyone wants to get ddfix working in future for some reason but for someone looking to get Thief up and running it's best to follow the advice in the latest FAQ instead.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 38131415161718