TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch (including widescreen support)

One difference is that 1.1.1 does not create a ddfix.ini file upon patching.

Edit to add: I am no longer a New Member after 11 years and 30 posts! Now that's patience!

I can imagine you to be the talk of the town, right about now. What are you, a three-toed sloth?

Anyways, call me a klutzo, but why would somebody need to use DDFIX 1.1.1? I mean, I understand the problems with later DDFIX versions, but 1.1.1 is so feature-less in contrast to say, 1.3 and above. And would it ever interfere with fog, perhaps?

I also am wondering, do later versions of DDFIX only work with DX10/9? I'm on xp using 1.4.5, and that just confuses the heck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    I can imagine you to be the talk of the town, right about now. What are you, a three-toed sloth?

Anyways, call me a klutzo, but why would somebody need to use DDFIX 1.1.1? I mean, I understand the problems with later DDFIX versions, but 1.1.1 is so feature-less in contrast to say, 1.3 and above. And would it ever interfere with fog, perhaps?

I also am wondering, do later versions of DDFIX only work with DX10/9? I'm on xp using 1.4.5, and that just confuses the heck out of me.
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121569

It's covered in that thread, it's the only way I figured out I needed it. But to sum up, 1.1.1 uses DX9, the newer ones use DX6, and my video card + drivers don't like this and make the game unplayable.

So basically, it sucks to be me! I switched to 360/PS3 back in 06. The only way I could ever be convinced to upgrade my PC ever again would be a ton of great Thief 4 FM's. So that's at least two-three years from now(if ever).

Hm, now that is odd. Why is it, then, that it has switched from DDFIX using DX9 to DDFIX using DX6? Isn't Thief 2 a DX7 game?

It's all in the discussion thread. The reasons are even mentioned in the DDFix readme, under the version history section.

Well, the OT has been changed, and leads me straight back to here. Now, from what I've read on that thread, though, I'm supposing that DX6-compliant commands were deemed less bug-ridden than DX9 commands? I don't know, I just thought there was some epiphany occured in which the DDFIX line jumped suddenly to another DX version support, which made me wonder, just what could've it been?

But let's just drop it. I understand it was just a rational change that just happened to help the larger part of the community more.

if ddfix could talk...

To put it in another way for those that care:

ddfix 1.1.1 - "hey man, check out my rad graphics and compatibility with the latest tech! I may be flawed, but at least thief works better with me on what's hot. Keep in mind that I ain't the best but I do what I can."

ddfix 1.2.0 and above - "Hey, I know I'm old tech, but thief and I get along real well. That ddfix 1.1.1 can't do what I can! 1.1.1 is trying to put a ferrari's engine in a voltswagen. [or insert better analogy here.] Although, I can be slow depending on my host."

Yeah, I know that was totally wacky and ridicilous, but I hope that brings a light-hearted simple explanation to the debate on why one would use 1.1.1 versus 1.4.5 or whatever latest version. Interestingly enough, I use an ati radeon 4650, and I can use ddfix 1.4.5 with no problems. They both have their pros and cons, but I'm willing to live with the later versions. I'd only use 1.1.1 ever again if my game absolutely needed it. My understanding is also that the DX6 version was deemed to be better in the long run than continuing to use the dx9 version... I know, it's totally contrary to what you would expect for an old game that is trying to be run on a new system. You'd think you would want to use the latest direct x, I know I would... but the later versions of ddfix I could accept because the problems addressed from 1.1.1 were significant IMO.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 14th Jun 2010 at 03:28.

The original reasons were:
    Switched from DX 9 down to DX6. Many bugs are fixed as a result, (health potions, black screen after alt-tabbing, missing fog, pixelated textures and corrupted borders,) but some features have been lost. (Screenshots are an order of magnitude slower, and no longer give a choice of formats. There is no longer an option to use AA or AF.)

It's basically because it makes more sense to use the version of DirectX that Thief was written for, rather than trying to force it into a different one.

And off-topic discussion like this really belongs in the discussion thread, not here in the sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post

"You are currently viewing FileFront with an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best viewing experience please upgrade to the latest version. Upgrade Now"

Yes, it is called FIREFOX.
    You can't download it unless you use IE ???

I don't get that message and can download the file just fine in both Opera and Firefox.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    t2skies uses texture replacement and therefore requires ddfix 1.3 or later. No way around that, except to turn the textures into low-resolution TGAs, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    Resolution aside, TGA would also be horrible for skies due to the 12-bit color.

Does anyone know what the last version of ddfix was that had the frame rate limiter? The game runs too fast and vsync adds an annoying bit of mouse lag so I'd like to give it a shot.

There are external tools, which can do this job. Just search for "FPS Limiter".

I can't download the widescreen fix either, what's up with that? isn't there a direct dl for it?

I tried to download the widescreen patch and got error message from explorer can't find page.
    Where can I download wide screen for TG and T2?

NV, here's an updated link to the Widescreen patch: http://www.filefront.com/17146333/Da...creen-v6r3.zip

Okay so DDfix (gui version) is acting up on my computer. After double clicking the execute file from the thief folder I get a 'The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click okay to terminate the application.' Can someone please help asap as me and my friend planned on having a hazy thief playthrough tonight.
    Last edited by Macha; 16th Aug 2010 at 13:25.

Follow the instructions for a manual install in the first post.

I heard there are some other ddfixes? With bloom and other things, can you summary all of them?

1) original ddfix
    2) ?

Read the discussion thread for upcoming versions of DDFix.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Read the discussion thread for upcoming versions of DDFix.
    Horrible amount of text. No systematization.

No verbs.

• 1.3.11 by Timeslip: The original.
    • 1.4.5 by SiO2: Fog.
    • 1.5.0 by yours truly: Fog and bloom.

All other versions are obsolete.

Thanks !! I just discovered these two jewels for Thief !! I'm late but... oh well ! I enjoy it now. The DDfix just work fine for my laptop with a resolution of 1280 x 800. Finally, no more resolution swapping when I go see the objectives/map and when I read ingame material.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast