TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 41 of 101 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546515661667176818691 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2506

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

*handing fett the 1000th reply award*

...oh and listening to Genesis, Mama.

Thank you.

Why can't I get into Genesis? I love Gabriel (mostly) and Rutherford is a brilliant guy but I just want to kill myself when I listen to them.

Only about three songs of theirs that I like (Mama, Land of Confusion, and That's All)...never really cared for Phil on his own, and hated Mike and the Mechanics. I think it's that We're-Too-Cool-For-The-Room style they project.

...love Gabriel, though.

Currently listening to Skinny Puppy - Riverz End, from the 'Last Rights' album.

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    Why can't I get into Genesis? I love Gabriel (mostly) and Rutherford is a brilliant guy but I just want to kill myself when I listen to them.
    Hmm, I always thought Rutherford was the weakest link, at least musically. I'm surprised you have so much Yes but can't get into Genesis. There has always been a lot of cross-pollination between their fans.

I got into Genesis back in high school when I had the time and inclination to just sit down and listen to a whole album at 100% attention with no distractions. The good Genesis albums are a bit hard to get into otherwise. They throw so much at you musically and lyrically, it takes some repeated listening (or Cliff notes) to absorb. Some people just find it pretentious, including Phil Collins, who seems a bit embarrassed when reminiscing about their youthful arrogance. But I eat that shit up.

I saw them a couple times during their big stadium pop tours, 1987 and 1993, and they were entertaining enough. But a couple years ago, I went to a show by The Musical Box, which was an authentic recreation of the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour, complete with original instruments, costumes and slide show. They blew me away. I can only imagine what the real thing was like back in 1975.

Listened to this one last evening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzGPEXnPieg

It's odd, I don't like the band at all, really, nothing I've heard from them has clicked with me at all, but this one is bloody brilliant. The band is called "Neljä Ruusua" (Four Roses).

The lyrics are in Finnish, but I made a feeble attempt at translating them to give some idea

Was everything better before / how would I know / they say the world is changing / yet we come and disappear / burning earth and flowing sky / shouting for glory and god / every night and every day / fades into history, then into oblivion / were we out of our minds then / travelling the country by foot / we pray for peace at nights / an enchanted nation on its knees / burning earth and flowing sky / shouting for glory and god /every night and every day / fades into history, then into oblivion / .... was everything better before?

Knows his stuff
    Reading through Pitchfork's top 500 tracks of the 2000s list and trying to catch up on everything I've missed so far this decade.

New faves found so far: Portishead's "The Rip", Dead Pres' "Hip-Hop", Jamie Lidell's "Multiply".

Been listening to the White Stripes first album. Never bothered to check it out before, and I am liking it well enough. The standout track for me is The Big Three Killed My Baby. I have always been a sucker for car songs, though. Trying to figure out what to spin next. Any suggestions based on what I have posted ITT? Thanks.

Chakat sex pillow
    Speaking of things related to The White Stripes, Brendan Benson of Jack White's other band, The Raconteurs, just released a new solo album.

It's so very blatantly 70's rock radio I can't help but smile every time I hear the opening song. It's an infectious, rollicking listen. Have a go: A Whole Lot Better.

Also, there's this other batch of songs by this band I can't get out of my head, an Australian bunch called The Temper Trap.

A review somewhere said they sound like a combination of TV On The Radio and U2, which isn't a bad description though they're far more U2 than TVOTR. They also happen to have a perfect slice of pop-rock for an opening song.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 19th Aug 2009 at 15:29.

Sweet Art Thou - Theatre of Tragedy
    One of my favorites from ToT.

1,000 horses can't be wrong - Simian Mobile Disco

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

@Dethtoll

Are Isis worth seeing live, yes or no?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I've never seen them live but friends who have say absolutely.

Electric Wizard - Funeraloplis (Thanks dethtoll).

You're welcome.

Meanwhile:

Miles Davis - So What

Australian bicycle hip hop keep pedalling
    give this a while too, the Queen samples are golden.
    Last edited by PigLick; 24th Aug 2009 at 22:57.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    the Queen samples are golden.
    Definitely. I was way more entertained by that than I should have been.

Scarborough Fair - Leaves' Eyes
    From the new album. A metal version of Scarborough Fair with female vocals, it's just pure awesomeness.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

@Dethtoll

What's the 411 on Rishloo? Any good?

I just happened upon these fellas.

Trifonic - Parks on Fire

Sort of Telefon Tel Aviv-ish. I'm mad keen on this sort of thing. Might even get the record.
    Last edited by Muzman; 25th Aug 2009 at 16:26.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    @Dethtoll

What's the 411 on Rishloo? Any good?
    Never heard of them, actually. I'll have to listen before I can give you an opinion.

[edit] I dug up their Freaks & Animals video and while they start off okay, the vocalist's harsher voice grates on me. I'll have to hear more to really decide, though.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    ...Rishloo? Any good?
    I think they're awesome, I'm pretty much a fan since Eidolon. Didn't really expect their name to pop up here, I thought they're relatively unknown.

Page 41 of 101 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546515661667176818691 ... LastLast