TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2712131415161718192021222732 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 903

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

  1. #401
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2007
    Location: Angelwatch
    Tos:

    Could you also integrate some female avatars, Female Thief and maybe a servant? The girls I regulary share some sneaking time with keep complaining about male's clothing not fitting their body measures.

    (And a robot avatar for me? )

  2. #402
    lol, so if you're a robot you get just a cannonshot, a hammer skin you get the hammer, the servants skins you get to run off scared.....

  3. #403
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Poesta View Post
    Ok, the weirdest thing just happened. While playing coop with my brother, we discovered that clients can destroy watchers using the blackjack. Screenie.

    Also, some weird stuff with explosive charges: clicky.
    You can disable the large combat bot and the smaller version with the blackjack, so it's probably perfectly normal to be able to destroy watchers with it too (though I haven't tried).

    The problem with the explosives is most likely related to a known issue I mentioned earlier in this thread, but I haven't had any luck tracking it down yet...

    Quote Originally Posted by Poesta View Post
    I noticed that if I host a multiplayer game, the mission is only open to other players at the first mission briefing. When I get to the next mission briefing it says it's closed. Is this a known bug?
    The Dark engine doesn't support joining games in progress. I have some ideas for adding support for it, but it's going to take quite a bit of work and will have to wait for now.

    The game remaining closed after the first mission is started was an oversight on my part and will be fixed in the next release. You'll have to restart the game to allow new players to join again for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Child Of Karras View Post
    Tos:

    Could you also integrate some female avatars, Female Thief and maybe a servant? The girls I regulary share some sneaking time with keep complaining about male's clothing not fitting their body measures.
    There are no female avatars because I couldn't find a good way to change the player's voice (and even if I did, I have no idea what kind of problems that might cause with some of Garrett's voice overs in the OMs). Having a female avatar with Garrett's voice would just be too weird, so I decided against including any for now.

  4. #404
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: Yangon, Burma
    Quote Originally Posted by Tos View Post
    There are no female avatars because I couldn't find a good way to change the player's voice (and even if I did, I have no idea what kind of problems that might cause with some of Garrett's voice overs in the OMs). Having a female avatar with Garrett's voice would just be too weird, so I decided against including any for now.
    I hope you know that T2X has and uses a full set of female Thief2 avatar barks.
    Also (atleast) 2 FMs, Ranstall Keep and Raid on Washout Central by Dashjianta.
    You can just download those FMs and snag the voice sets, and see how they did the conversion.
    It would also probably be nice of you to Private Msg fett (for T2X) and Dashjianta to ask to use them.

    Edit: Or is the problem more like switching between male and female voice sets depending on avatar choice?

    Edit2: In any event, even if it can't be done, I still question your argument about it being too weird. Voice set and avatar choice are doing 2 different things.
    - The Voice set is for the player playing the game, and everybody is so familiar with the Garrett voice it's practically an established part of the UI.
    - The avatar is for other people, to give a visual expression to who it is. They don't hear the voice, so it's obviously not strange for them.

    I don't see anything so strange about separating the internal UI for the person playing from the external avatar for the other people watching. The player can't even see the avatar, so they probably wouldn't notice and so it couldn't be too weird. But, and this is the main point, they can still have the pleasure of looking female to everybody else that would be none the wiser. And if that idea makes them happy, why not?

    At the least you could say the pluses outweigh the minuses.
    But for that matter, it's really a matter for the player to decide. If a girl thinks it's too weird, they don't have to choose it. But if they think it's worth it to have a female avatar (and I have a feeling a good number would), I think it'd be nice to give them that choice. I think it's a little unfair to take the decision away from them because of presuming to feel the weirdness on their behalf, if they really want to look female and the option exists.

    That's just my gut reaction...
    Last edited by demagogue; 3rd Mar 2009 at 02:58.

  5. #405
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2009
    Location: England
    ah.. tricky.. even with permission, to do such as thing as to put 'fan made' characters as preset avatars... might not be a very good thing to do.. However, the abilty to make your own (basicly, tell it what folder to load and that folder includes a new model, skins and sounds) would be intresting but pretty tricky because you need to make sure other users have it to etc...

    Oh and i'll just comment on this (though i think it's related to bugs already said) but Frog Beasts only 'blow up' on the screen of the user that used them in the first place i think. A Client used one, i blow it up for him (droped it on the wrong place _) it blow up on his screen, but in mind it just dissappeared.. like i said, i think this is already been said about so this bit is more just a little note just incase.

  6. #406
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2009
    Location: The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Tos View Post
    You can disable the large combat bot and the smaller version with the blackjack, so it's probably perfectly normal to be able to destroy watchers with it too (though I haven't tried).
    No, you can only destroy watchers with explosives normally, but it takes one hit from a client to fall apart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tos View Post
    The game remaining closed after the first mission is started was an oversight on my part and will be fixed in the next release. You'll have to restart the game to allow new players to join again for now.
    That would be great. I knew about the in-game joining, but I had been waiting for a server to switch to the next mission (for some reason it took them half an hour to finish Running Interference >_>) and when I saw it switch to the next mission I still couldn't join.

    Don't worry about the explosives. I was experimenting with the summon command and I had spawned so many worker bots that they stopped responding, so I summoned a few explosive charges to blow them up. This shouldn't happen without cheating, although you can get about 15 charges in Soulforge.

  7. #407
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2007
    Location: Angelwatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Child Of Karras View Post
    Dunno if something like that was mentioned before, but I'd like to ask whether you could implement a minimum delay between two door frobbings.

    To explain it: If two guys wanna open the same door one usually opens the door and the second one closes it at the same time. This happens several times until one gives up and lets the other one open the door.
    If there's a delay - say a second - from one frob to another, this wouldn't be a problem.
    Repost, as noone seemed to pay attention to it.

    About the female avatar thing:
    Those who want can download the file voice pack e.g. from T2X. I don't care if the girl has a man's voice. Maybe she smoked far too much.

  8. #408
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2007
    Location: NSW, Australia
    You guys should get behind the developement of NightBlade if you like thief-ish multiplayer!

  9. #409
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2009
    Location: Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Benvox2 View Post
    You guys should get behind the developement of NightBlade if you like thief-ish multiplayer!
    Sadly, thief-ish multiplayer is not equal to thief multiplayer.
    There is something special to be playing the original game with others ~ not to mention finishing what the developers started.

  10. #410
    Ditto that.

    @demagogue:

    hey, that;s a great idea... But the problem is that the OMs would have to use Garrett's voice, else it would play the wrong sound file... imagine playing thief 2 multiplayer and you hear the female character say something totally off the wall (I haven't played T2X so I can't really say.)

  11. #411
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: Yangon, Burma
    I've about come to the conclusion that, all in all, it'd probably better to leave the Garrett voice set for the female avatar even if it could work just fine anyway.

    Not just because there are a lot of voice clips it can't get to (a good reason), but the Garrett voice set is just more polished and designed and tested for the game itself, and better for general, universal use.

    But mostly because of the point I made above. The avatar really isn't about playing "as a girl" while you're playing anyway. It's about how others playing multiplayer see your appearance, so they can tell from a distance that it's you. Which voice set you use is really a different issue.

  12. #412
    Quote Originally Posted by Demagogue
    But mostly because of the point I made above. The avatar really isn't about playing "as a girl" while you're playing anyway. It's about how others playing multiplayer see your appearance, so they can tell from a distance that it's you. Which voice set you use is really a different issue.
    Yeah, I pretty much agree. I think only the host can trigger conversations at the moment (correct me if I'm wrong Tos) though, so if you made a female avatar with a matching voice set, at least the client could have it. The thing is, I think what Tos was getting at is that if you were to whack the client who had a female avatar but had the Garrett voice over, it would be "weird" in the sense that you'd hear garret's "umph" sound instead of a females.

  13. #413
    Permanently Enlarged
    Registered: Dec 2005
    Location: I could care...but I won't.
    How goes the good work, Brother Tos?

  14. #414
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2009
    Location: The Netherlands
    I just did LotP with my brother while using Skype. I always got my ass kicked by mechanists while typing away, but not anymore.

  15. #415
    Permanently Enlarged
    Registered: Dec 2005
    Location: I could care...but I won't.
    Em... I'm having a bit of a problem, I can't seem to connect to the global server for some unknown reason. Even with every debug option on, I still don't get anything in-game, in the console, or in an output file. Is the global server down or somethin?

  16. #416
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2009
    Location: The Netherlands
    No, I can connect to it just fine. Debug options have nothing to do with the global server, so I think your Tief MP installation is bugged. Try reinstalling Thief MP and if that doesn't work reinstall Thief 2.

  17. #417
    Permanently Enlarged
    Registered: Dec 2005
    Location: I could care...but I won't.
    Most queer... Just connected to the server and it worked. Guess my ThiefMP install was pooched.

  18. #418
    Nah, I don't think it was your install at all.

    Actually guys, I told Tos and he said that he didn't realize it was down. So, it probably was down at that point and time, but then when Poesta checked it was working again.

  19. #419
    New Member
    Registered: Mar 2009

    Erm... Dude i got an minor problem, well with the MP, you see, on certain missions or characters, you can't see the other players! If i be Garrett, its no go, on some maps! Hes fully invisible, and he can run pass guards and stick his middle finger up at them, and they won't know a thing! And on the Pagan village mission, were you gotta follow that Bleeding messager i think, were the Portal is, only Player 1 can jump and see the portal and i was player 2 and i couldn't! And guess what! I COULD FREAKING FLY! It was awesome, but both annoying!

  20. #420
    Seems like you have an incompatibility with the host (such as a differing mission file.) The problem with the multiplayer is that both players need to have as close as possible (if not the same) the same files as the other person. That is, if I own Thief 2 original trapezoidal box edition, that means you need to as well. Is that correct, Tos?

    But Combo, if it was a gamesys error it should have disconnected you, so I guess it must not have been.

  21. #421
    Permanently Enlarged
    Registered: Dec 2005
    Location: I could care...but I won't.
    Wow... That one's a doozy. Only thing I can find that would explain that is something getting buggered in the client-server communication thats getting flags wrong... Horribly wrong.

  22. #422
    New Member
    Registered: Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Seems like you have an incompatibility with the host (such as a differing mission file.) The problem with the multiplayer is that both players need to have as close as possible (if not the same) the same files as the other person. That is, if I own Thief 2 original trapezoidal box edition, that means you need to as well. Is that correct, Tos?

    But Combo, if it was a gamesys error it should have disconnected you, so I guess it must not have been.
    Well that explains it, i got the Sold-Out Retail (PAL) Copy! So i wonder??
    Cause i also installed the Oringial OSM Files cause i got the Sold-Out Retail version, they come with the other OSM files, also, are there ways to lets say, fix sound problems? Cause i know this is still Beta, so there are bound to be problems!

  23. #423
    New Member
    Registered: Mar 2009

    Oh yeah! I fixed the Character problem! Im using the Thief Character (Not Garrett! The one labelled "Thief" not "Garrett") and dude i was playing an game with, was an Keeper we can see eachother now!

    But the one thing there is Sounds! I can hear the music and Ambient, but no footsteps, no alarms, i can hear when you lift yourself up ledges and walls etc. But not all of them! Do i need to upgrade my copy of the game or get some sound file fix for playing Mutliplayer games?!?!

  24. #424
    Hmm that's weird. Could you ask that guy what version of thief he owns?

    Sounds should work in multiplayer, you don't need to download anything.

  25. #425
    New Member
    Registered: Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Hmm that's weird. Could you ask that guy what version of thief he owns?

    Sounds should work in multiplayer, you don't need to download anything.
    Yeah, if i see the dude online!

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2712131415161718192021222732 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •