TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345671217222732 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

Damn. What steps did you take in order to apply widescreen? What I did was copy the multiplayer exe to my thief folder and then patched it with widescreen. The multiplayer did not work afterwards.

I take everything back for now. Noticed something on a second computer and gotta find out, whether it's the same on the first computer, too.

So far on the second computer (only ddfix, no widescreen) Thief simpley exits, when trying to host a game.

Heh, I actually had no idea we were nearing Thief's 10th anniversary when I posted this.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Thanks for the responses Tos.
    I should mention so I don't look like a complete idiot, have you successfully been able to use widescreen with it, Tos?
    Yes. When I replied to you before I wasn't certain whether I'd just re-applied the multiplayer changes myself after installing the widescreen patch, though.

I just tried it again now on an otherwise unmodified multiplayer .exe, and it seems like it does indeed just patch it. I was able to host a server in 1920x1200 with no problems after applying the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts View Post
    Should I post this in comm chat?
    Sure, if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Child Of Karras View Post
    DDfix and Widescreen patch applied without problems. I named the Multiplayer exe thief2mp.exe and I still get in game mode. However, I haven't tried "real" networking yet.
    Renaming the .exe shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure about the crash when hosting. Multiplayer-patched installations create an errorlog.txt file when they crash with some useful information in it, so if the problem persists it'd be helpful if you uploaded that file somewhere. There's a chance the crash isn't being logged if it's simply exiting with no error message at all, however. If you already have the file and it's working, delete it before getting the game to crash again so only the most recent report is in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Also who/how are we going to host a thief game..? does one person do it and then other join, or can it be done on a stand alone server that people can join..? and if the latter who is gonna offer up a server for hosting..?
    As it is now, one person volunteers to be host, and chooses that option in the separate UI window (that you alt-tab into once the title screen is showing), and then the other(s) join by typing in the host's IP address into the same UI window.

Money shot.

Great job, guys.

lol beleg.

Hmm, I must be doing something wrong then. I feel a bit stupid. Ignore the bit about it being impossible to use widescreen patch then.

Aaaaalright...
    Widescreen patch appears to work but removes the whole network part of the game, which is the actual sense of the new exe. So it's not recommended to use it. However, ddFix works.

I don't know why it doesn't work on our AMD-based PC. However, it did work on a thrid PC (again Intel-based) we have and Beleg and I spent some joyful time knocking out passengers at Angelwatch. I don't want to mention the bugs we noticed, because I'm sure you already know them yourselves. I just hope, that one of the next things to be done is the possibility to (re)pick up arrows. Keep up the good work!

Multiplayer epicness

Name: Random_Taffer
    Email: rwstrain at hotmail dot com
    Modem: Wired, Cable

This should be good times!

Permanently Enlarged

Oh hell yeah!!

I think I have something to do today!! Huzzah!! We need like... A huge-ass Thief-off in Life of the Party sos we can zerg rush the Mechanists!!

S/N: RavynousHunter, Tyrant the Destroyer, or RH-00
    E-mail: RavynousDezign at yahoo DOT com
    Modem: Wired, Cable, Routed

Quote Originally Posted by RavynousHunter View Post
    ...sos we can zerg rush the Mechanists!!
    How bad is it when I think I can understand this? Anyone tried Hamachi yet?

Mail: dussander at clanbase dot com
    Modem: Wireless

Unfortunately as the MP version uses a new version of T2.exe, I cannot play it without bad lag (as I needed ddfix because of my graphics card). Also, certain wall textures seem to have de-evolved into TDP-style ones (undetailed and blotchy).
    Last edited by Dussander; 30th Nov 2008 at 08:53.

@Tos:

got a small suggestion/req: please specify changes you make to game .exe (what changes and at which offsets) so people with different size .exe (like 2 662 400 bytes etc) can make the needed mods themselves with hex editors, without having to use your supplied exe (which is 2 662 445 B). Even better, please make a generic patcher which modifies user's exe accordingly, no matter the exe size (...445, .400)

it's just that different users have various exes (diff. sizes etc) from different editions of the game and might prefer to continue using their own .exes (already ddfix/cpu affinity/widescreen etc premodded).
    Last edited by Hiatus; 30th Nov 2008 at 09:28.

Aaaaalright...
    Widescreen patch appears to work but removes the whole network part of the game, which is the actual sense of the new exe. So it's not recommended to use it. However, ddFix works.
    i have got the following working

Thief2 will all realated patched installed
    DDfix 1.3.11
    WideScreen 6v2
    EP1
    NTEX

the only thing I had to do was tab out and in of the game once started as I got a weird lag effect.

biker

Quote Originally Posted by Hiatus View Post
    Even better, please make a generic patcher which modifies user's exe accordingly, no matter the exe size (...445, .400)
    I dont think thats gonna be possible, the only way to do this was to release a patched .exe file. Dosent TOS's .exe work for you then..?

biker

biker:

why - it is possible. I simply want to be able to continue using my own .exe (which is not ...445 B).

@Tos - if you need clean ...400 B .exe to make a patcher/for testing/to include in your mod, please PM me.

But preferably I'd like to be able to modify my exe by hex editing. But we need to know the changes being made.
    Last edited by Hiatus; 30th Nov 2008 at 09:40.

But preferably I'd like to be able to modify my exe by hex editing. But we need to know the changes being made.
    If you look at the original thread, there was discussion about patching/h***ing the t2.exe

maybe as an Idea, people can send in their different version of the T2.exe, he can then modify them, add a version number and add them to the archive..??

biker

My anti virus scanner reports this as possible Malware. Are you going to publish the source code, too?

http://www.virustotal.com/en/analisi...87f8d266d5f853

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    My anti virus scanner reports this as possible Malware. Are you going to publish the source code, too?
    that would be a false positive, just add it to the list of exempt programs etc.

Im running kaspersky 2009 and it had no problem with the zip file - what AV proggy you using..?

b.

Okay, I have a suggestion to make for everyone... Because there are so many non-information posts (that is, not giving your name email address etc) I recommended one of two things:

A. We continue to post our information here, but Tos edits the first post with each person's post link to their info so that we can more easily find their post through all this. I recognize that Tos may not want to do that, so this leads to...

B.) Someone creates a new thread and calls it Thief 2 Multiplayer List, following in the footsteps of the System Shock 2 multiplayer list thread.

@Hiatus: Hex editing is not ideal, especially for people who don't know what they are doing. :/ Plus, I already tried this, it didn't work. My guess is he modifies the exe in more than one spot.

Some more Screens with three players:

It wasn´t me:
    http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/848/itwasntmeru1.jpg

Partytime:
    http://s10b.directupload.net/file/d/...najs6z_jpg.htm

Partytime Posers:
    http://s10.directupload.net/file/d/1...hd8z4d_jpg.htm

Jump:
    http://s11b.directupload.net/file/d/...bpw4vi_jpg.htm

Where is the target?
    http://s11b.directupload.net/file/d/...qjiu2k_jpg.htm

More to come. We also made a nice little video which will be uploaded soon.

Dainem

@sNeaksieGarrett:

1. I know hex editing isn't ideal, that's why I ask for a (generic) patcher.
    2. I'm aware it modifies the .exe in more than 1 place (probably in 2-3 from a quick look) but it doesn't matter that much.

Name: CMD
    Email: XCMDX@web.de
    Modem: ---------
    server: ?????

*be happy *
    maybe we could make a list about our skypes ,commections and else?

1. True, you did hiatus, but you also said you wanted to hex edit. I know I'm being picky of your words, but you did say that.
    2. The patcher idea like what ddfix does sounds like a good idea,seeing as it would be annoying to have to figure out how to hex edit the exe for this multipalyer patch...

Beleg, is the "total loot" text being displayed as white for you in game as well? Both it and the chat text should actually be red.

Also, I just noticed that "total loot" was being displayed even if you're the host of the game, despite what I said in the readme -- whoops. That will be fixed in the next update.

Hmm, I must be doing something wrong then. I feel a bit stupid. Ignore the bit about it being impossible to use widescreen patch then.
    I'm really not sure why the widescreen patch is only working for some people. I just tested again with the latest version of the widescreen patch (I think I had an older one before), and was again able to apply it without any problems at all onto the multiplayer .exe. Are you both using the latest version?

I just hope, that one of the next things to be done is the possibility to (re)pick up arrows. Keep up the good work!
    I haven't had much luck in fixing that problem so far. Arrows can't be picked up because T2 MP sets their networking category (a property you can view in DromEd) to local only, which means that they only exist on your end and no information about them is sent to other players. When other players fire a projectile, they send a packet to you that creates a local copy of the arrow on your end, which is how you're able to see other players firing them. Obviously, if one player were to pick up a local object it would still appear to exist in the world for other players, so the game does not allow them to be picked up (I could override that behavior, but it's not a good idea).

If arrows aren't local only, all sorts of strange problems begin happening. They will occasionally disappear after being fired, launch in a completely different direction than they should have, or just never even appear on your bow. They can be picked up, though. System Shock 2 (which uses largely identical network code) has local only projectiles as well, but since they can't be picked up or stuck into wood it's not an issue there.

There's some possibility that it could be fixed for broadheads and rope arrows if the CollisionStick script could be modified, but I don't know whether that's feasible or not. The other types of arrows would require a different approach, though.

@Tos:

got a small suggestion/req: please specify changes you make to game .exe (what changes and at which offsets) so people with different size .exe (like 2 662 400 bytes etc) can make the needed mods themselves with hex editors, without having to use your supplied exe...
    Unfortunately, I don't think this will be possible. T2 MP makes use of over 400 pointers to functions and variables with offsets hardcoded for this .exe only. In order to do what you're suggesting, I'd need to add offsets for each different .exe, then compile and distribute a different version of the .dll for each one. I'd then need to automatically detect which .exe the player is using at startup and load the appropriate .dll.

This would take an enormous amount of time to do for what I have already -- just going back and adding the new offsets would be tedious enough -- but I'd also need to do some work to find where each one is in the new .exes. If I made a mistake and put in the wrong address for something, I could end up with a bug that only affected a specific .exe, which could quickly turn into a debugging nightmare. It'd also add greatly to the amount of work I'd have to do to add new pointers.

It's just far too much work for too little return, especially if the other patches can be applied on top of this. If you really want to make the changes to the .exe manually (it must be the same size as the one in the zip, or the game will crash), the following should do it:

At 0x120, change 50 E8 1E to DE DA 1F. (this changes the entry point)

At 0x1FDADE, change the entire block all the way up to 0x1FDAEF to B8 F8 F5 67 00 50 FF 15 B8 00 60 00 E9 61 0D FF FF 90. (this is the new code at the modified entry point -- it calls LoadLibrary to load ThiefMP.dll, then jumps back to the original EP)

At 0x27F5F8, write in ThiefMP.dll as an ASCII string (this is passed to the LoadLibrary call).

I haven't tried doing it that way on a clean .exe myself, but that should work. If it doesn't for anyone, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post

http://www.virustotal.com/en/analisi...87f8d266d5f853
    Yes, it's a false positive. I suspect it's being detected as a virus because the PE header of the .exe was changed to redirect the entry point outside of the code section (which probably explains the "PE_Patch" in that report). This was done so that I could add the new code listed above to load the .dll at startup, but for obvious reasons that may be typical behavior of some viruses.

Okay, I have a suggestion to make for everyone...
    B.) Someone creates a new thread and calls it Thief 2 Multiplayer List, following in the footsteps of the System Shock 2 multiplayer list thread.
    That would be a good idea.

@Tos:

thanks for the info on hex editing. Can I send you my .400 B .exe so you can check if the same changes apply to it as well? And, may I suggest that you switch to .400 B exe in your patch (it's more popular among the users than .445 B you use/supply now; you can use my clean .400 .exe as a base or get .400 from someone else)? I check these places and 2 (1st and 3rd one) are identical but 2nd place seems a bit different (hex zeros are there as well but they start "earlier" in .400 exe and I noticed you mod right where zeros start, and not in the "middle" - does it matter?).

Guess if both .400 and .445 .exes can be modded identically (or even if 2nd mod differs between the 2), you could write/supply a patcher then, not whole premodded .exe).