TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 31 of 108 FirstFirst ... 61116212627282930313233343536414651566166717681 ... LastLast

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

Couple funny things from Mystery At The St. Anne Inn: (possible spoilers)

Trying to sneak up on this guard was one of my favorite moments in a long time from a fan mission - give it a try

These two fellas noticed me after I listened to their conversation, and proceeded to commit suicide (both of them, one on each fire pit) while trying to projectile me to death. I had a great laugh at that indeed.

These two fellas noticed me after I listened to their conversation, and proceeded to commit suicide (both of them, one on each fire pit) while trying to projectile me to death. I had a great laugh at that indeed.
    They did the same thing with me. I was running away and suddenly I heard screams of pain. I turned around and there they stood: trying to cast spells at me in the middle of the fire. Guess not only their costumes are weird...

Have to respect their fighting spirit, still casting spells while they burn

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    I loved that guard standing behind the window. That's one of my favorite moments in an FM. But alas, I only got one guy to kill himself in the fire Guess, I'm just not up to your taffer levels.

If I recall, there was also a treebeast off to the right when you come out in front of the mansion, that also freaked me out, because he (she?) was hidden by branches.
    Also I think there is a secret with a dewdrop doll is around there.

In the inn, there was also a weird part with that guy sleeping in the bed who followed me around everywhere I went. He was ready for some thieving action.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    I loved that guard standing behind the window. That's one of my favorite moments in an FM. But alas, I only got one guy to kill himself in the fire Guess, I'm just not up to your taffer levels.

If I recall, there was also a treebeast off to the right when you come out in front of the mansion, that also freaked me out, because he (she?) was hidden by branches.
    Also I think there is a secret with a dewdrop doll is around there.

In the inn, there was also a weird part with that guy sleeping in the bed who followed me around everywhere I went. He was ready for some thieving action.

I forgot about the treebeast, that can startle you thats for certain. I'm pretty sure dewdrop is tucked away in a little cavern just out of the water near the haunted house. I found her as I was running from the tree beast and seeking safety in the water below

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    The Art Of Thievery By Richard Cull
    Released: December 2001

How does it sound?: I really liked the mixture of guards and mechanists. The creepy sounding mechanists (I don't know if they have a specific name - the ones that say "thank you" when you kill one and have a real breathy sound to their speech) are some of my favorite foes for the creepy factor and always keep me on my toes.
    You have probably figured this out by now, but those are the "servants" created by Karras. This is explained in the Thief 2 storyline.
    Last edited by ralentor; 24th Apr 2009 at 16:59. Reason: spelling

Thanks - their name must have slipped my mind that day, I have a tendency to get brain burn-out when doing many reviews one after another

After much more work than it probably looks like it took - The original post in this thread has been updated to an alphabetical listing of all the missions covered thus far, and the second post has been updated to house the order the missions were updated sorted by date.

Hope this settles the indexing problem once and for all - best of both worlds.

New reviews, a new Behind The Builder and a new mission for Thief: TIS all coming within the next day or two. Now its 3:30 in the morning and I need to rest my bloodshot eyes after all that editing and copy pasting

If I've counted correctly we've covered 136 missions thus far!

jtr7

Wowzers! It actually looks like you took a lot of time doing it! Well, thanks for doing all that!

We have to start up some very crazy discussion ideas so that people reading the initial post see things like:

A bit about cheese flavors in the thief world. Do they not mold sitting out on counters.

Discussion Garrett: boxers or briefs.

Regarding the mating habits of tree beasts.

About why Garrett is actually left handed, but grew up in a right-handed world. When he tried to write with his left hand he was struck over his fingers with a pencil, and hitting people with the blackjack is just his way of getting back at the world.

Explaining what Garrett actually does with all the money he earns.

Actually in all seriousness, the last one is an honest question. I would like to see a really good reason implemented into FMs. At this point in his career he should be the richest person in the city. Personally, I think there is an as-of-yet mystery figure who controls him, and who demands all his money. (He's not married is he?)

Apparently, he spends it all on gear for his next job.

Real estate is at a premium due to nobles buying up huge tracts of land for their mansions. So Garrett's rent payment is like 3,000 gold per month. This means he would have to pull off a Gervaisius-level job every month just to keep a roof over his head!

The smaller jobs, stealing from merchants and the like, are to buy food.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    Explaining what Garrett actually does with all the money he earns.

Actually in all seriousness, the last one is an honest question. I would like to see a really good reason implemented into FMs. At this point in his career he should be the richest person in the city. Personally, I think there is an as-of-yet mystery figure who controls him, and who demands all his money. (He's not married is he?)
    I've always just figured that he only does one job or so each month when the bills are due - slightly showing a slacker mentality for the worlds greatest thief

In my imagination Garrett treats work (well, his line of work anyway) with the same disdain as he does being a pawn of the keepers, or being asked by someone to do something that is intended to save the world and so on - he grumbles and doesn't want to do it each time but knows if he doesn't his days are numbered. I also picture him living in a very small and run down apartment - "homey" for a thief on a budget but certainly not anywhere you'd raise a family or entertain a lady - though Garrett rarely seems to have time for either.

Thats the way I've always thought of it, anyway.

Then again, there is a big difference if we're talking OM/T2X mission loot counts and fan mission loot counts - (Take Christine's rather large loot counts for example) and the difference between the two is probably massive depending on which one you choose to explain in your mind

In the OM/T2X atmosphere it was normal to only reach 800-1000 gold per job - In some fan missions 4000-5000 and upwards is pretty normal.

I guess it's quite expensive to keep everyones mouths shut. Garrett is a wanted person after all and has to keep the "good will" of quite some contacts of his. Not to mention the payment for equipment and informations. How do you think he gets all those maps of the interior of mansions and all this?

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    I guess it's quite expensive to keep everyones mouths shut. Garrett is a fugitive after all and has to keep the "good will" of quite some contacts of his. Not to mention the payment for equipment and informations. How do you think he gets all those maps of the interior of mansions and all this?
    Great point, I forgot about bribes/hush money.

Quote Originally Posted by Krush the Second View Post
    Real estate is at a premium due to nobles buying up huge tracts of land for their mansions. So Garrett's rent payment is like 3,000 gold per month. This means he would have to pull off a Gervaisius-level job every month just to keep a roof over his head!

The smaller jobs, stealing from merchants and the like, are to buy food.
    I actually like this idea, that perhaps Garrett is acquiring large plots of land and in the future will own most of the city and the nobles themselves. Then, he'll become a Robin Hood type and give all the land to the poor and the power structure in the city will flipflop and the peasants will become kings and then an age of utopia will exist for ever after. It's a rather romantic idea I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    I've always just figured that he only does one job or so each month when the bills are due - slightly showing a slacker mentality for the worlds greatest thief

In my imagination Garrett treats work (well, his line of work anyway) with the same disdain as he does being a pawn of the keepers, or being asked by someone to do something that is intended to save the world and so on - he grumbles and doesn't want to do it each time but knows if he doesn't his days are numbered.
    This idea reminds me of a character in a series of detective stories by Rex Stout. The title character is Nero Wolfe, the world's greatest detective. He has expensive tastes (raises orchids and dines extravagently) yet absolutely hates to work ... so he finds the hardest cases and richest clients to minimize the number of jobs he must complete to maintain his decadent lifestyle. Sound like anyone we might know?

My theory is that Garrett has a secret gambling habit. He just can't stay away from the Burrick Races.
    Last edited by kfort; 26th Apr 2009 at 03:16.

jtr7
    At the Rat Races, I wonder which one Garrett would put money down on:
    Ratscallion or Lord Rat-n-Tat?

Can We get some rats on a racetrack?

*KaBONG!*
    *thud*

*drags body around back and sets it aflame*

Jtr7: ...

Yipe, uh, I wonder whut his problem is!

I put my bet on the rats

No, that gives me an idea, but:

I DON'T TELL MY IDEAS THAT I KEEP SECRET!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    Can We get some rats on a racetrack?
    I made a demo mission with bettable frog races once...

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    *KaBONG!*
    *thud*

Last edited by SneakyJack; 26th Apr 2009 at 13:40.

Excellent artwork SneakyJack...

Someone should start building an FM with El Kbong as main theme or main hero

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    Excellent artwork SneakyJack...

Someone should start building an FM with El Kbong as main theme or main hero
    The day someone makes a fan mission where the 'blackjack' weapon is actually an acoustic guitar that causes the player character to say "KABONG!" and then makes the sound of a guitar breaking then it hits the AI is the day I can retire from thief playing a happy guy

Edit: I wish I knew how to mod that into current fan missions.. thinking of playing Pirates Ahoy! in KABONG mode is amazing
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 26th Apr 2009 at 16:23.

Well, without thinking much about it, this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.
    Exchange the "blackjack-hitting-body-sound" with "guitar-hitting-body-sound" (where ever you can get that sound from) and add a knockout-stim to the AI's triggering a VoTrap
    And of course: replace the blackjack object by a guitar object...

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    Well, without thinking much about it, this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.
    Exchange the "blackjack-hitting-body-sound" with "guitar-hitting-body-sound" (where ever you can get that sound from) and add a knockout-stim to the AI's triggering a VoTrap
    And of course: replace the blackjack object by a guitar object...
    Sounds 'simple' enough, but I'd have no idea how to do it, other than maybe replacing a sound.

Page 31 of 108 FirstFirst ... 61116212627282930313233343536414651566166717681 ... LastLast