TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 on Windows 7?

I don't personally have access to the Win7 DDK/MSDN but know of some who do at work. I can try and find out if they've intentionally deprecated the PrivateProfile fucntions, as opposed to unknowingly breaking them, if it would make any difference. No, I didn't think it would.

Actually now that I think of it, I vaguely remember that they had planned to drop them from Vista, effectively trying to force developers to using the registry. Well, at least it sounds like typical Microsoft behavior...

I guess it wouldn't be that hard to manually write new ini-handling functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Telliamed: What exactly is the problem with the PrivateProfile functions? Are they being discontinued?

I generally prefer those functions to using the registry (I like portable programs), and was even considering using them in a script at some point.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...48(VS.85).aspx
    "This function is provided only for compatibility with 16-bit applications written for Windows."

But I have doubts that anyone in Redmond has laid eyes on that code in a decade. The KB doesn't say anything about the functions having a size limit which DL ran into a while back. That's why I originally had to make 4.3b1.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I guess it wouldn't be that hard to manually write new ini-handling functions.

I went with a homebrew INI parser. But that wasn't too far to go since I already had a parser for Dromed's CFG and STR files. Ended up with a generalized class that handles all three. (Source/CfgFiles.pas if you want to read Pascal.)

I suppose if you want to future-proof your apps you can serialize in XML just as easily. MSXML is standard in Windows these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
    Downloading now.

Quote Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
    This version completely resolved the delay problem I reported.

I did get a couple of errors after entering the setup paths when you first run Darkloader, which Tom knows about. It then shuts down but re-opened again fine with all my FMs listed and works normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    I did get a couple of errors after entering the setup paths when you first run Darkloader, which Tom knows about. It then shuts down but re-opened again fine with all my FMs listed and works normally.
    About that...

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I don't personally have access to the Win7 DDK/MSDN but know of some who do at work.
    "Access violation at address 7713ED87 in module 'ntdll.dll'." (build 7100)
    Can you find out what function that's in?

I'll ask around on Monday.

AA appears to be broken on nvidia cards under W7.

See thread -

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126740

Dear TTLG friends

I'm not sure if you have noticed, but something wonderful happened:

Windows 7 64bits, version 7127 is FULLY COMPATIBLE with Thief Gold and Thief 2, WITHOUT ANY TRICKS!!!

Almost a month ago I posted here in the TTLG forum: I've managed to install T1 and T2 in W7, the game started without problems...until I tryed to load the first level: all I got was a black screen.

This issue was reported by other friends. I tryed all sort of tricks we all know: "safe texture manager" in user.cfg, old and new fixed EXEs, AND (of course) ddfix (crashed) with the prepatched EXE...nothing worked at all.

I was running Windows 7 64bits, version 7100, with the first release of the nVidia W7 64 drivers (for my 8800GTS 512 graphic card).

A few days ago I installed the new RC version of W7 x64 (v.7127, clean install), with the SECOND release of the W7 nVidia driver...

...and it WORKED!!!

I've managed to run TG and TMA flawlessly, with a 1280x1024 res...

1. without the "user.cfg" trick
    2. without ANY of the modifyed game EXEs (posted since the WinXP release)
    3. without DDFIX

NOTHING!

Obviously, the multicore issue still there: it's a game compatibility with the multicore CPUs, not with the OS. You still need to set affinity with only one of the CPU cores.

The point is: NEVER in my life I saw a Windows version, since Windows 98, FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH A DARKENGINE-BASED GAME BEFORE!

Please, post your comments!

My system specs:

Intel Core2Quad, Q6600 CPU, Sound Blaster Audigy SE, 3GB RAM, GF 8800GTS 512 graphics, Windows 7 v. 7127.

I could be wrong, but you're probably just lucky (not trying to bum you, in fact I hope you are right.) Problem is, PCs are so different from owner to owner. They aren't like consoles where the parts are the same essentially for each one. So, this might mean that while it works fine for you, it might not work fine for others.. And even if you are 100% right, you're using a 64-bit version. What about other versions? And of course, it's only a release candidate, so things might change by the final version.

Anyway, that's actually impressive!

sNeaksieGarrett, friend...is possible that I am wrong??

I really don't think so.

The DarkEngine is one of the most tricky graphic engines ever build. It had serious compatibility problems with all of the Windows after the 98 release.

I never got Thief I and II to run in this OS (except of course Win98) without using tricks, patches, fixes and independent tools to circumvent a lot of compatibility issues: graphic driver issues, sound driver issues, EAX compatibilities, Multicore/HyperThreading issue, ingame movies with an weird and unique codec (Ligos), enhancement packs, widescreen issues...uff!

Maybe the responsible for this sudden change was in fact the new nVidia driver (v. 185.85), and W7 was always compatible with the game after all...

This could explain why I had no problem installing the game with W7 v. 7100 a month ago... the problem arose when I tryed to load the first level of TG, suggesting (only) a graphic compatibility issue.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by kyl2k
    The DarkEngine is one of the most tricky graphic engines ever build. It had serious compatibility problems with all of the Windows after the 98 release.

I never got Thief I and II to run in this OS (except of course Win98) without using tricks, patches, fixes and independent tools to circumvent a lot of compatibility issues: graphic driver issues, sound driver issues, EAX compatibilities, Multicore/HyperThreading issue, ingame movies with an weird and unique codec (Ligos), enhancement packs, widescreen issues...uff!
    Precisely my point in why it's amazing that thief would just suddenly work on windows 7 without any tweaks. So, the very fact that it didn't run well on vista before leads me to think that it's highly unlikely that everything is just fine on windows 7 and that it was that you just got lucky with your version.... Of course I can be wrong, I don't deny that.

What did you mean by "this OS"? Windows XP or Windows Vista?

As far as why it worked, it could be (that it was just the nvidia drivers and not the OS.) I honestly can't say. I haven't even tried windows 7 yet. I'm sticking to XP right now.

I forgot to say:

You're right when you say there are a lot of different computers. But consider this:

Even the x86 Windows OS (except Win98) have problems with Thief (and SS2).

Worse: all the x64 versions of it were a pain in the *ss for gaming, since Microsoft's Stone Age (Win NT, 4.0).

Vista x64 (the last one) if I remember well, also had issues with some games, specially the OLD ones.

I think the chance that I manage to run a DarkEngine-based game only because I'm a damn lucky guy, when this software is truly one of the most incompatible ever created, is highly improbable.

And what the hell...it's a x64 OS! I think I have more chances that a meteor hit me twice! LOL

sNeaksieGarrett, my friend

I mean the whole Windows family, sorry.

If it ain't luck then what is it? Again, we both agree (yet you seem to point out to me again what I already know) that older OSes had problems with running thief (except windows 98) and yet your original post suggests that suddenly it works fine on windows 7. (I think the point here is that we need to have more results from other people's setups to determine if it works fine for them as well.) All I'm saying is based on past trends it seems highly unlikely that Microsoft just fixed thief indirectly for windows 7 - thus, why I said it was just luck. Of course it was probably your setup more than anything, but I think we should wait until the final version of 7 is out to see how well thief runs on that.

sNeaksieGarrett, my friend.

Bad news, I'm afraid...

Thief 3 seems to be incompatible with W7. At least, with the no-cd patch AND the hi res pack installed (Collective Texture Pack ver. 1.0.3).

And I could not manage to run System Shock 2 too - WITH the no-cd patch (I've tested more than one). The game starts fine, with the intro movie, cutscenes, etc., but when I try to start a new game, all I get is the *%$#$#@#%@!!! black screen...

You're right: we need more opinions and experiences here.

By the way, I strongly suggest W7: it's a damn good OS, believe me (i'm not exactly a fan of Microsoft...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2k
    By the way, I strongly suggest W7: it's a damn good OS, believe me (i'm not exactly a fan of Microsoft...)
    So I've heard, in a matter of speaking. I read that "vista haters will love windows 7." I watched a video about windows 7, and from some of the stuff I've heard I feel more positive about windows 7, but I still am not satisfied I guess.

Did you actually try these games without the "no-cd" first to see if they run? Anyway, that's interesting... Thief 3 not working but thief 2 working.

I'm afraid not...

All I have is the ISO files from TDS and SS2, mounted with Daemon Tools. I must use the no-cd trick.

But you have a point:

I have the original CDs of TG and TMA - the ones I've managed to install and run without problems.

We're not supposed to discuss cracks and warez. Though I admit it was my fault for probing you further about the no-cd. I suggest you refrain further from posting something like you just did (mentioning the ISOs.)

No Warez, Illegal Software or Scans of Copyrighted Material.

This includes linking to, posting about, requesting, and suggesting ways of obtaining illegal software and/or other copyrighted materials such as scans of magazine articles. Posting such information may also result in your posting privileges being revoked. Furthermore, we will not tolerate postings that encourage people to violate copy protection by referring them to sites that have copy protection codes publicized (including No-CD Cracks) and/or illegal software. Any such post will be removed from our forums and your membership and posting privileges will be revoked as soon as we find the offensive post.

You're right in this matter, sorry.

And my mistake: TDS is completely compatible with Windows 7, even my x64 version. Forget what I said before.

I reinstalled the game WITHOUT the Hi Res Package, and it runs fine. No tricks here.

I didn't install Thief Gold or Thief 2 onto my computer running windows 7, I just copied the folders over and edited the install paths in the cfg files. I needed to install the indeo drivers on the machine and do the affinity fix, and set them to run in XP compatibility for the movies to play, but both are running without any problems that I can see. I haven't checked T2 fog yet, but that'll be between the game and my video card, of course.

Sadly, DDfix doesn't seem to work under any condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    I needed to install the indeo drivers on the machine and do the affinity fix, and set them to run in XP compatibility for the movies to play, but both are running without any problems that I can see. I haven't checked T2 fog yet, but that'll be between the game and my video card, of course.

Sadly, DDfix doesn't seem to work under any condition.
    I think it is a matter of time they fix this issue.

As I said before, I've managed to run the first two games without any tweaks.

But how did you manage to install the old Indeo drivers? It seems to be incompatible even with Windows XP, since the stone age...

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure I was able to install the codecs on my XP machine.

As far as I remember, the old Ligos/Indeo codec is incompatible with WinXP...I'm not sure, though

What I AM sure is: the cutscene movies DOES work with W7, no need to install any 3rd party codec.

That's great.

Regardings the old Indeo codecs: They should be installable on an XP system. It's possible it was your particular setup. I think though that in my case I had to put compatibility mode on the iv5play.exe to make it work, or some sort of technical workaround.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 9th Jun 2009 at 16:57.