TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Your] Crazy Zany Video Game Ideas Here

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    A MMORPG with the storytelling elements of a traditional single player RPG.
    Wow, we can say impossible shit like that?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    YOU are not my target audience.
    Don't mind me. I'd totally play your game, Aja. LSD is brilliant.

Well we do have a three-man team with no game-design experience, one computer science degree, one english degree (almost) and an overarching interest in ambient music. I'd say this project should be ready to ship in a week or so.

also it's not a game it's a dream simulator

oh you chin stroking ambitious thinkers!

also holy shit LA Noire is a game???

Chakat sex pillow
    Yup. Rockstar announced it a long while back as a PS3 exclusive.

I'm very, very intrigued by demagogue's idea, as well as Aja's LSD project. I'd planned to write a bunch of interlinked short stories in that vein, but it's obvious that it would work much better as an interactive experience. It does sound like it would be hell to build the framework around something that ambitious, but damn! It's still quite the idea.

I'd like to play dethtoll's survival horror game, I can see how it's been influenced by the mindfuck movies he's been watching of late. So you never know if you're hallucinating the entire game or not? Awesome! Imagine if, near the end, someone were to say to you, "You thought they were monsters?" (You know where I got that line from. But imagine if the game had actually taken that and ran with it!)
    Last edited by Sulphur; 29th Apr 2009 at 04:30.

LA Noire is old news. Rockstar's habit of announcing a game a mere 6 months to a year before its release didn't happen this time. I've been waiting for it for two years.

re: chin-stroking ambition

Well one thing we do actually have is a design document that details how the program should be structured in order to deliver "dreams" to the player the way we want it to. Each dream can be one of a number of moods (peaceful, frightening, etc) that helps determine the mood property of the environments experienced within the dream (for example, a field might be a sunny day or a rainy night, depending on the mood), which in turn determines the mood of the objects within the environment (is the dog friendly or angry etc). The mood properties themselves are to be controlled partly by the player's interaction with environmental objects and also through random chance, which will (hopefully) play a crucial role in keeping the player intrigued. As the dreams progress more environments and objects will be unlocked, and new combinations of the two will be experienced. If all goes well, the experiences of one player should differ from another.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    LA Noire is old news.
    Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuse me.

I is only a jaded former gamer.

a mad scientist in the vein of Rick Moranis in 'honey I shrunk the kids' finds his home infested by various insects and other vermin. Rather than hire an exterminator he leaves the problem with his super AI computer (the player) who must build and control robots that explore the game world (the inventor's house) trying to eliminate the pests. As the game progresses you can get new types of robotics and even mind control devices that allow you to enslave insects and do other stuff.

eg enslaving a spider would allow you to climb walls and explore other areas. Researching a spider might allow you to build walker robots, to generate web or eventually wall climbing tech.

There are various harzards such as dangerous vermin, kittens, dogs, children etc.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

A FPS-RPG, in the vein of Deus Ex and Bloodlines, set in the Shadowrun universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I'd like to play dethtoll's survival horror game, I can see how it's been influenced by the mindfuck movies he's been watching of late. So you never know if you're hallucinating the entire game or not? Awesome! Imagine if, near the end, someone were to say to you, "You thought they were monsters?" (You know where I got that line from. But imagine if the game had actually taken that and ran with it!)
    I'm also heavily influenced by Afraid of Monsters, though the shadows thing stems from my impressions of the really old RE4 trailers, back before they redid it. FEAR is another influence, particularly XP and the latter half of PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    I'd love to have a sandbox Hitman game that allows you to set-up the hit on your target however you please by allowing you to plan and execute down to buying gear and escaping the scene etc.

Sounds just like Hitman:Blood Money

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    A FPS-RPG, in the vein of Deus Ex and Bloodlines, set in the Shadowrun universe.
    Or the Gibson universe, because then all we'd need to do is mod in elves and trolls and BAM, Shadowrun.

The sad thing is, you're not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    Sounds just like Hitman:Blood Money
    Nah, Hitman series just plonked you down at the scene or two seconds from it and told you to get back to an escape point (which isn't really a feasible escape point a lot of the time if an entire place was on high alert following an assassination) and the casing/planning etc was always inmission. I'd prefer it if you could actually get a feel for a victim's habits etc. Of course, we're talking zany and crazy here because in general, that game would be fucking boring.

Still Subjective
    I know I've said it before but a sandbox Thief type game where you can go out in the day to scope the target, get info, deal with "normal" life. A life where you have a normal job as a front, and you get to pick it and do it. It might be a cleaner, a market trader, a merchant, a member of the police or government and so on. Your day job would allow you to set up the thievery in different ways, depending on what it is you do of course Your job could even influence your thieving abilities so a policeman would have some combat training anyway, and an artisan might be able to operate locks and traps with more ease. Plot would be all important of course, and you'd need strong characters that you can develop relationships and care about and whom you'd have to lie to and even steal from/kill if the plot went that way.

Oh, and La Noire is coming to my PS3 asap. Thanks for the heads up.

Here's a rough, half-baked one.

After watching Dark City not too long ago, I had an idea that it might make a good SimCity type game with a bit of urgency thrown into it. You play the head of the aliens, in charge of a large coin floating in space. Your ultimate goal is to 'solve' the human equation and infuse the concept of the human soul into your race to reinvigorate your society. To do this, you maintain your laboratory, like SimCity in many ways, except time plays an important part. Every 12 hours, all the citizens go to sleep, and you have a limited time to re-generate personalities, personal artifacts, and reconfigure the city in an effort to isolate the essence of humanity.

The human species is an evolving one, however, and like the movie, some persons will begin to get hints that something is off, throwing off your equations. The more pressure you put on the humans, the more likely this is to happen, so you have to balance the rate at which your race is dying with the research rate. Ultimately, too much pressure on the fragile humans will result in the generation of a John Murdock-like rogue, a serious threat to the stability of your experiment. You have to spend time and resources hunting him down, perhaps in a Scotland Yard-esque public transit chase (based roughly on the board game). If you fail to do so, the rogue will begin 'tuning' like you do, messing with the purity of your research and eventually start re-forming the city to suit his own needs. He may even begin claiming some inhabitants of the city for his own and growing a rogue colony, or rotate the entire business toward the sun, which quickly begins to kill off your people. Each rogue will have a small chance of simply going insane and and becoming less of a threat, but also one less human to experiment on. Or, he may become a serial murderer or bomber. Or wall himself up in a quarter of the city and surround himself with a moat.

Either way, you deal with limited time, resources, and the occasional uprising to creatively achieve your ends. I'm supposing that an ingenious, not-yet-thought-of method for reshaping the landscape will both provide an unpredictable challenge that will require your attention and also be fun. Something like collapsing all the layers of the Startopia station, retaining the flexibility of the biodeck, and having buildings with specific uses that can be morphed into and out of each other, with the need to either restructure the road and transit system, or the need to remain with their confines.

Gameplay bits/stages:
    - overall look will be similar to SimCity, aerial view, variable zoom, but mostly a bird's eye look on things. Resource management screens may be necessary, but would be ideal to indicate resources needs on the map itself.
    - how exactly the city works is still a mystery to me. Yep, the biggest part of the whole entire game is being put off for better days.
    - building the city: a combination of SimCity and Dungeon Keeper/Startopia. The initial layout will be fairly normal, but will grow more twisted as you warp the buildings and inhabitants. This should present its own challenges.
    - planning the city (optional): assess how the city is doing and plan for the next night. Instruct your minions (a limited labor pool) on what
    - reforming the city: assess the needs of the experiment as they rise, and re-form the city and its inhabitants to push the experiment toward its end. Buildings rise, fall and twist, people change dramatically, and their psyches experience stress.
    - chasing down a rogue. Different rogue types and strengths will pop up, depending on circumstances, not just randomness. They will do different things based on their most recent personality mixes and/or who they actually were. Sometimes annoying, sometimes really threatening, they can't be left alone as they disrupt the carefully adjusted lives of your test subjects and don't go to sleep like everyone else. Gameplay will be similar to the Scotland Yard board game.

Resources:
    - energy and matter (to construct and alter the city). May not be necessary to represent.
    - humans - the raw stuff of your experiment, which you alter in terms of social roles and personality types. Similar perhaps to 'minerals' in RTS games.
    - memories - a pool of memories drawn from the humans that can be mixed and matched and scattered throughout the minds of the city.
    - alien minions, which determine how much power you have to tune your city and mix and match memories for your humans. In some ways, a combination life meter/magic meter.
    - time: every twelve hours, the humans sleep and the city can be refigured, or a rogue can be chased down. For a considerable penalty, whole-city sleep can be imposed at any time, but this should be discouraged.

Rather than being a sprawling, Civilization-style affair, this might be best suited as a 30-60-minute long game where you either succeed in decoding the human soul, become overrun by a colony of rogue humans able to tune, or fail on time and watch the remains of your kind begin to die.

The spoiler tag is your friend.

Are you suggesting that 11 years isn't over the statute of limitations for movie spoilers?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

For a cult film that not very many people would've seen? Don't be an arsehole.

Especially since a director's cut came out last year that has renewed some interest in the film.

Crap, I completely forgot about the director's cut. I think you told me about that in the first place.

Thanks for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Nah, Hitman series just plonked you down at the scene or two seconds from it and told you to get back to an escape point (which isn't really a feasible escape point a lot of the time if an entire place was on high alert following an assassination) and the casing/planning etc was always inmission. I'd prefer it if you could actually get a feel for a victim's habits etc. Of course, we're talking zany and crazy here because in general, that game would be fucking boring.
    Have you played Blood Money?

Quote Originally Posted by Chade View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what the gameplay would be like, but I'd love to make a game where the player is a child, and sees the world through a pair of really fresh curious enthusiastic eyes.
    No video game can give your innocence back. But take a look at Alter Ego (There's an online version linked in the wikipedia page if you don't want to illegally download the original game).