TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thief 3 windows 7

thief 3 windows 7

wassup guys...

i'm wondering if anyone has gotten thief 3 to work with their windows 7.... i double click the t3 icon and all i get is the swirly mouse thang for a few seconds and then nadda.

any help would be dank.

thanks

jtr7
    Sorry for the lack of replies, hope you have patience. Thief can run on Windows 7. You may have to edit the registry because the "My Documents" folder isn't where the game is expecting it to be for your Options settings and savegames. I'm not too familiar with the post-XP tweaks, but yes, it can be made to work if there's a problem.

Could you list your full system specifications, please?

sure man.

i'm running it on a macbook pro

2.5 ghz intel core 2 duo
    2 gb ddr2 sdram

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gratephulphish View Post
    [...]

i'm running it on a macbook pro

2.5 ghz intel core 2 duo
    2 gb ddr2 sdram
    Now you tell us. First thing you put in your questions is the system specs.

We got it working a couple of days ago but we had to core-optimize a lot of files in order to avoid a slow-motion Garrett (looked hilarious, though). I'll ask the Child of Karras to give a better report of what he did on his own but I remember it worked with Win7 RC and Dual Core.

It worked well on Windows 7 64 bit with Single Core Processor. However, on dual core there were some issues - even after using imagecfg to set the applications to only one core the HUD was pretty slow (scrolling through inventory or using weapons), however the rest of the game went fluently. Maybe things are different on Windows 7 32-bit where you can use Multicore Optimizers and stuff.

I didn't do any further tests, as I was also experiencing the sound driver issues (thanks to Terratec... >.>), and skipped back to Windows XP Prof.
    Last edited by Child Of Karras; 12th Jul 2009 at 05:17.

Thats the point....how did you manage to play on Windows 7 64-bit ? I am having a tough time too getting it to work on win 7.

Windows 64 bit doesnt run 16 bit programs like thief 2!
    Unfortunatly the people that design the running system want 16 bit to obselete!

It woul dbe interesting to recode thief 2 as 32 bit

Quote Originally Posted by theBishop View Post
    Windows 64 bit doesnt run 16 bit programs like thief 2!
    Er it does, I played T2 and used office 2003 in W7 x64 last week...

64 bit in "general" doesnt support 16 bit programs

This thread is about thief 3.....not about thief 2....you all can read this, so can now someone post a solution as to how I can play this on win 7 ?

Moderator and Priest
    Er...Thief 1 & 2 are 32-bit applications, I'm pretty sure. You might be thinking color depth, which is something entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by varunb View Post
    This thread is about thief 3.....not about thief 2....you all can read this, so can now someone post a solution as to how I can play this on win 7 ?
    Several years of experience tells me that, if all of legacy apps I've tested including t2 worked correctly then t3 will also work. Im fairly sure T1/2 executable are 32bit apps.

Last edited by bikerdude; 17th Jul 2009 at 06:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    32-bit applications. They're not that old.
    Windows 7 x64 can emulate 32-bit mode, since otherwise it wouldn't be able to run most Windows programs.
    Sweet, thats what I suspected.

I agree with you that thief 3 would work in Win 7 64 bit but its not working for me. I am having the same symptoms as quoted below.

Quote Originally Posted by gratephulphish View Post
    i double click the t3 icon and all i get is the swirly mouse thing for a few seconds and then nadda.

I agree with you that thief 3 would work in Win 7 64 bit but its not working for me. I am having the same symptoms as quoted below.
    When this has happened to me I have had to un-install and re-install t3.. might I also suggest you click on the properties of t3.exe and set the compatibility to Xp or Vista.

I have already tried everything: affinity, imagecfg, priority, compatibility(from 98 to vista). Still no success

I have already tried everything: affinity, imagecfg, priority, compatibility(from 98 to vista). Still no success
    ok go into task manager and tell me if you find T3.exe and T3main.exe running
    Last edited by bikerdude; 18th Jul 2009 at 04:49.

I have the exact same problem. I have installed the game properly (first with the patch, and then again without), but when I run the game, I get a momentary loading cursor, and then nothing. According to task manager, t3.exe runs for a few seconds, then closes for no apparent reason (with no error dialog or anything).

Specs are below:

Windows 7 build 7100
    4 Gb RAM
    Intel Core 2 DUO T5800 @ 2Ghz
    ATI Mobility Radeon 3400

I see people talking about things they've tried and things that have sort of worked briefly, but I don't see any details. How does one perform these aforementioned fixes? Is there anything that's worked for certain, or is it all speculation?

The irony is that I had almost no trouble getting Thief Gold and Thief 2 to run in Windows 7 (after some relatively simple FAQ fixes, such as ddfix, widescreen, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    ok go inot tack managed and tell me if you find T3.exe and T3main.exe running
    They are always running in the task manager. They don't stop. I usually have to end them manually. The only thing I notice is that the size of t3.exe keeps increasing in increments of 20kbytes. I even waited for 10 minutes thinking that it would load the game sooner or later but it didn't.

They are always running in the task manager. They don't stop. I usually have to end them manually.
    Ok thats what I was expecting to happen, and useally doing a complete un-install then re-install fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Ok thats what I was expecting to happen, and useally doing a complete un-install then re-install fixes it.
    This was the first thing that I had done & it didn't solve the problem. Even my PC has Kaspersky antivirus so there's no question of any virus or trojans also.

This was the first thing that I had done & it didn't solve the problem. Even my PC has Kaspersky antivirus so there's no question of any virus or trojans also.
    Well ive got Win7x64, but my main PC is out of action atm, so I`ll get around to testing T3 on that again sometime soon..

So, does anyone have a simple set of steps to get T3 working on Win7 x64 then? Several people mention it being possible and then crucially omit the key information.

Thief 3 works for my Windows 7 x64 out-of-the-box, so I'm sorry I can't help you...