TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 58 of 95 FirstFirst ... 813182328333843485354555657585960616263687378838893 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2371

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Aside from the fact that the alien invasion made no sense at all: "Invasion begins!! Dispatch outriders on speederbikes in small numbers. Ok, now larger numbers. Ok, now sends in one big troop carrier monster. Now send in THREE troop carrier monsters. Continue in this vein until VICTORY, apparently. Also, park the mothership right outside the portal, with no anti-missile defenses, coz hey: it's not like anything could go wrong, right? Also, we have a hivemind for some reason", the movie was awesome. Some glaring physics violations even by comic book standards, but not enough to annoy.

Plus the Loki vs Hulk scene was glorious.

Also, Harvester: Cabin in the woods is also great. I imagine being a CGI-guy for the whedon team must be hilarious: "you want a scene featuring...what? Like..all of them?"

So yeah, Avengers was utter fluff and fun. Iron Man stole the show except for when the Hulk showed up. All the Thor/Loki/aliens stuff was boring and predictably the ending tease got a shrug from me (and laughs from others in the theatre who didn't know wtf either). I was worried what I'd let myself in for over the first 15 minutes because by god that was a clumsy opener, and the climactic end scene wasn't any less clumsy in how apparent it was that Hawkeye and Black Widow belong in a far less interesting movie than the one they ended up in.

Still Subjective
    Cabin in the Woods. Underwhelmed. It was missing that final link.

The Skin I Live In. WTF? Come on. It's shot well, really well, and so looks great with some fab composition shots. The pace and plot progression is really well handled and it was all going so well until, well, you know. The continental films I catch seem to have a lovely chilled pace with interesting and amusing characters. Mostly I really like them but sometimes I'm just

This is one of those.

Might have to catch a daytime showing of Avengers at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Also, I'm sure other people will have different opinions on this, let's hear it!
    I haven't seen Thor, but otherwise that list is entirely correct. Arguing with it would be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    in how apparent it was that Hawkeye and Black Widow belong in a far less interesting movie than the one they ended up in.
    I really liked the Black Widow and Hawkeye stuff, especially how Scarlett Johansson got things to do and be pretty-damn kick-ass instead of simply being a callipygian ornament like in Iron Man 2.

It's a piece of fluff, but a wonderful one. I'd actually be tempted to go watch it a second time, if only there were some none-3D screenings here.

Also watched The Raid. It it exactly what that trailer promises: a near constant barrage of violence, expertly choreagraphed and presented. It's pretty amazing.

I especially liked how Hawkeye stood on the edge of a building and fired arrows at stuff for the entire finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    I especially liked how Hawkeye stood on the edge of a building and fired arrows at stuff for the entire finale.
    Hey, he was surveying the battlefield! He helped the others coordinate!

Sure, they were physically outmatched in the final rumble compared to the others, but I like what they brought to the rest of the movie.

I liked them a lot too, Morte. The comparatively low-key relationship and characterisation of those two brought a bit of balance to the film, God knows, I couldn't deal with 5 insufferably smug jackasses, with Black Widow in particular being nicely handled. It's obvious she isn't as powerful as the others but rather than ignore it and just have her kick all kinds of arse effortlessly, they had her acknowledge her limitations ("I'm a spy, not a soldier") and show visible signs of fatigue in the final battle. She's pushing up against her limitations far more than anyone else which in my book makes her more human and therefore, identifiable. Whedon also gets approximately one-bajillion points for not having Black Widow ultimately become someone's love interest.

That general contrast between the spectacle of Hulk/Thor/Ironman doing their thing and the less spectacular, but certainly no less heroic, action down on the ground with Captain America & Black Widow was a smart move, and leant a little more depth than is usual for your climatic CGI-fest. One of my favourite sequences was the scene where Captain America enters that building to save a group of civilians from some kind of explosive device. It was tight and gritty, and since he feels so much more vulnerable than Hulk/Thor/Ironman, it felt more dangerous and even painful (the resulting ejection from the window onto the parked car). The great thing is the vulnerability of the less powerful members, as well as things like showing Captain America helping civilians out bus windows, has a way of humanising and grounding, somewhat, the entire the group.
    Last edited by Angel Dust; 7th May 2012 at 22:52.

I appreciate the work you chaps are doing to spare us from an easily accessible, dedicated Avengers thread

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    You're welcome.

We Need To Talk About Kevin - A kid like that would be every parent's nightmare and the acting is absolutely top notch, so the movie was certainly gripping. But to me it would have benefited from a less artsy-fartsy approach: the camera constantly going out of focus, shots that were unclear and the disjointed narrative (often had me wondering: is this now or a flashback?) made it a little harder to concentrate on the story from time to time. Not so bad that I didn't understand the movie, but it was a little distracting.

Since the main theme is so heavily embedded in popular culture, last year I got around to watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly for the first time. I was expecting a dated, overrated, but never the less pretty decent movie, but to my surprise I was completely taken in and I adored it.

I've been slowly working my way through all of Sergio Leone's films, and I've just seen A Fistful of Dynamite. The first plot point has a Mexican bandit and his family/gang shooting out the tyre of a man on a motorcycle for kicks. He turns out to be an IRA demolitions expert, and retaliates against their stolen carriage with dynamite. They are, obviously, pissed off about this, but as they draw their weapons the Irishman demonstrates with a drop of nitroglycerine that "if you shoot me, I take half this country with me." The bandit leader, Juan, is awe-struck. He has just had an epiphany, and as the music of organs and chanting swells, above the demolitions expert's head we see a ghostly banner.

It is the first time I've broken out into applause while watching a movie, even though I was alone.
    Last edited by Neb; 22nd Jun 2012 at 14:51.

I watched the Hatfields & McCoys 3 episode thing. Great writing for a great story. Finally a series where they set up everybody's motivations & the whole plot flowed from natural human psychology, instead of just arbitrarily pushing people to do things to so transparently service a story. I found the whole tragic inevitability of it so convincing.

It's also exactly how I picture my family from that era, and I could recognize glimpses of my grandparents in them (minus the murderous rampage part, but the day to day life part ... Especially the whole part about ex-Confederate soldiers coping with rebuilding their life & world after losing the Civil War, which I always found endlessly alien & fascinating from my own family history).
    Last edited by demagogue; 22nd Jun 2012 at 02:16. Reason: bolded the title

Just wrapped up the first season of the (newest) Doctor Who. Overall, I like it; the creators have some insane imagination that makes me go "damn how did they think of that?" The "are you my mommy?" episodes in particular. Brilliant.

What I am getting mildly annoying is the constant Deus Ex Machinas. It's like every episode is the same: shit gets real, stakes rise and everything is on the brink of destruction, when suddenly in the last 3 minutes the Doctor pulls out some fancy shmancy bullshit sci-fi device out of his ass, waves it around and presto, the problem is solved! It just feels like lazy writing at times.

I wanted to kill those damn kids in that Doctor Who episode. "Are you my mummy?" got annoying fast.

On my end I'm currently watching season 3 of Star Trek DS9. Good viewing for the most part.

Over the past few months I went through a Clint Eastwood American Western craze and watched a whole heap of Westerns including:

* Hang Em High
    * High Plains Drifter
    * Joe Kidd
    * The man with no name trilogy (A Fist Full of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good The Bad and The Ugly).
    * The outlaw Josey Wales
    * Unforgiven

All in all great viewing, with the man with no name trilogy, Josey Wales and Unforgiven being the standouts of the lot.
    Last edited by icemann; 23rd Jun 2012 at 02:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Just wrapped up the first season of the (newest) Doctor Who. Overall, I like it; the creators have some insane imagination that makes me go "damn how did they think of that?" The "are you my mommy?" episodes in particular. Brilliant.

What I am getting mildly annoying is the constant Deus Ex Machinas. It's like every episode is the same: shit gets real, stakes rise and everything is on the brink of destruction, when suddenly in the last 3 minutes the Doctor pulls out some fancy shmancy bullshit sci-fi device out of his ass, waves it around and presto, the problem is solved! It just feels like lazy writing at times.
    If you mean first season as in Christopher Eccleston, then I have some bad news for you: Tennant's first season ends with pulling a lever and hoovering up the Daleks and Cybermen. It gets steadily worse over successive seasons, with a literal Deus Ex Machina in there somewhere. It's never been a show that works well with the season finale thing.

But there's still enough good bits that I always end up watching each new series.

Well at least the dalek hoover was an already established plot point, thrown into reverse. Okay it was still a cheap and easy plot resolver. I was more annoyed tho with idea a season later that people believing in the doctor telepathically charges him with superpowers.

Then there's the awfulness of Doctor-Donna. And the pointless radiation booth.

Anyway yeah RTD finales relied more on emotional impact than particularly well thought-out resolutions.
    Last edited by Chimpy Chompy; 23rd Jun 2012 at 17:23.

I quite liked the David Tennant Doctor Who episodes for the most part. The Matt Smith seasons I've not liked alot of. Some are excellent sure, but for every good episode you then have to sit through several bad ones. So very hit and miss atleast for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Villain View Post
    If you mean first season as in Christopher Eccleston, then I have some bad news for you: Tennant's first season ends with OH GOD OH GOD BLUR MY EYES WHILE I CUT THIS OUT HURRR. It gets steadily worse over successive seasons, with a literal Deus Ex Machina in there somewhere. It's never been a show that works well with the season finale thing.

But there's still enough good bits that I always end up watching each new series.
    Not reading the spoiler since I haven't gotten there yet, but that's a bummer. The Season 1 finale made me sad for that reason since it aaalmost managed to actually make an over-arching and foreshadowing of the ending with the "Bad Wolf" cameos and "tardis is alive" before hand, but it was a failed attempt at best. They still ended up with an out-of-the-ass "oh shit Rose has some special powers/destiny to absorb magical space dust and destroy a whole race with a snap of the fingers and doctor can just eat it from her so we dont need to worry about it affecting the story after." And again, it all happens in like the last 3 minutes of the epsiode, hardly any buildup before, and no real impact after.

Still I'll probably keep watching since a few of my friends are big fans, and while the execution isn't the greatest, I still find the ideas and creativity of the show top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I wanted to kill those damn kids in that Doctor Who episode. "Are you my mummy?" got annoying fast.
    Oi I agree they did get annoying by the end, but at first it was some creepy shit, and when you think of all the different ideas combined WW2 + woman's dead son + the space shuttle + regenerating nanobots + conman + time traveling doctor + etc. etc, it really shows some nice creativity, as I said above.
    Last edited by Yakoob; 23rd Jun 2012 at 18:35.

Knows his stuff
    Just watched Jim Jarmusch' latest, Limits of Control. It's a movie about a hitman but it's a lot more Coffee & Cigarettes than Ghost Dog. The guy sits around and drinks espresso with people and goes to museums for the first hour and a half as a build-up to a finale that's as boring and uneventful as the rest of the film.

If only the dialogue was any good, but it's just people examining the meaning of words like "molecule", and "boheme", and repeating the words to some poem we hear at the start of the movie, and other artsy fartsy wankery. The movie is nicely shot, and looks good, but that's about all the good I can say about it.

I think I saw it a while back. I only made it to the first bit of wanky dialogue before I realised I'd been tricked into watching bullshit and turned it off.

Knows his stuff
    I got pulled into seeing it because the DVD was only 2 euros and it had a bunch of names I liked on the front. Jim Jarmusch, Gael Garcia Bernal, Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, and it stars the guy who played the icecream salesman in Ghost Dog/French cabbie in Night on Earth. It's like Jarmusch thought "With all these great actors the film doesn't even need a script!"

We watched the recent film remake of State of Play yesterday. Truth to tell, I can't really judge it as a film in its own right - I remembered the BBC miniseries too well, and it blows the film out of the water in every single respect. My main beef with the film is that every character comes away as more generic and boring than in the series... and Helen Mirren is criminally wasted on a role that comes across as, "She's British, so let's have her say 'wanker' and 'geezer' and the fact that we've cast that Mirren woman will do all the heavy lifting!"

Edit: We've also got started on The Prisoner. Judging from the first two episodes, I'm wondering how well the whole series holds up. At least in the first two episodes it feels that they're basically making the same points over and over again:

"I want answers!"
    "You can't have any. Have some tea instead!"
    "I'm going to beat the system!"
    "We've already calculated everything you're going to do five steps in advance. Be seeing you!"
    "I'm not a number, I'm a free man!"
    "Yes, yes, Number 6. Now run along like a good little bunny."

I like the tone and atmosphere (the dialogues remind me of Beckett and the mood is reminiscent of The Wicker Man), but if it doesn't vary things a bit more watching the whole series will be a chore.
    Last edited by Thirith; 9th Jul 2012 at 06:51.

I watched Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married, and Why Did I Get Married Too, on the basis of this Sam Strange column.

It was kind of amazing.

The first movie is mostly kind of bad, and even if it has some deep-tissue weirdness it only explodes sometimes, but the second builds to this crescendo of mood whiplash and bizarreness that has to be seen to be believed.

And these things took like 60 million each at the boxoffice. Amazing.

Watched:

God Bless Ameria: Some hammy acting, some silly obvious scenes, but still pretty fun. I don't think anyone could buy that girl as a 14 year old, though she's younger than I thought.

Drive: Pretty good.

This Means War: Pretty good fun

Wanderlust: Pretty good show to watch with your special half. Pretty dumb and obvious otherwise.

TV:

Archer: love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    We watched the recent film remake of State of Play yesterday. Truth to tell, I can't really judge it as a film in its own right - I remembered the BBC miniseries too well, and it blows the film out of the water in every single respect. My main beef with the film is that every character comes away as more generic and boring than in the series... and Helen Mirren is criminally wasted on a role that comes across as, "She's British, so let's have her say 'wanker' and 'geezer' and the fact that we've cast that Mirren woman will do all the heavy lifting!"

I saw the film first and thought it was pretty good. Then saw the series after a ttlg guy suggested it was so much better than the movie, though he said it might be because he watched the series first like yourself.

I didn't feel much after watching the series, but the film was on the other night and it seemed so wrong. Also felt that Helen Mirrens part seemed like throwing a bone to the English, like an obligatory "look we're being faithful, it even has an English cast".
    Last edited by DaBeast; 9th Jul 2012 at 08:40.

Page 58 of 95 FirstFirst ... 813182328333843485354555657585960616263687378838893 ... LastLast