TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718232833 ... LastLast

Thread: Tafferpatcher: unofficial complete patch for Thief 2

Quote Originally Posted by SunBeam View Post
    @DJ Riff: When the resolution/FOV GUI appears, that info is saved where?
    The resolution is saved in:
    ddfix.ini (if ddfix version is lower than 1.5.11)
    cam.cfg (should add the string if not present)
    tafferpatcher.ini
    thief2.exe if the widescreen mod is used and ddfix version is lower than 1.5.11
    dromed.exe if present and not disabled by the checkbox on Tasks page

FOV is saved in:
    ddfix.ini
    tafferpatcher.ini
    thief2.exe if the widescreen mod is used and ddfix version is lower than 1.5.11
    dromed.exe if present and not disabled by the checkbox on Tasks page

Fog fix is saved in:
    ddfix.ini ([Fog] section)
    cam.cfg (fogging 1 if the checkbox is set, bypass if not)

At least it's supposed to work this, but the function went insane when I added the fogging line modification. Now I nailed the issue it's the compiler not handling TStrings object properly (Append method does not update Count property in this particular case). An update will come soon.

GUI doesn't save resolution in cam.cfg. DDFix cross-checks that and errors out. Just a heads-up.

Also, I'm not sure why this happens after installing TafferPatcher:

1. DromEd
    2. Load up 'miss1.mis'

3. I hit "Cancel" nonetheless and enter game mode. It seems to lag like hell while playing the level..

Cheers,
    Sun
    Last edited by SunBeam; 10th Jun 2011 at 05:26.

Does it do that in ddfix safe mode?

The error is because of the texture update (NTEX). You can temporary disable it by sending NTEXDDS folder to the bottom of the list in darkinst.cfg editor.
    Performance in Game Mode is greatly improved with ddfix 1.5.11 when LayeredOverlay is set to off.

An Update

An Update

TafferPatcher for TMA Release Candidate 0.9.8

Bugfix
    Fixed a bug when the game_screen_size line was not added in cam.cfg if the line didn't exist. It was a leftover of a duplicate line removal operation which was made as a bugfix for adding a duplicate line which was a leftover of the function modification to change fogging setting too . Now it should work as it's supposed to. True story.

Improved compatibility for Multiplayer-modified thief2.exe and DDFix 1.5.11. Now the widescreen mod which was pre-installed in Multiplayer .exe is hacked away if DDFix 1.5.11. is installed because DDFix 1.5.11 doesn't work properly with it sometimes.

Other news:
    Fixed some German text to fit the controls when Vista / Win7 Aero interface is on.

Put up a multi-mirror to your file, for faster downloads. Cheers!

Link: [ http://www.multiupload.com/HWB1N3KA2E ]

Sorry - couldn't find an answer anywhere for this question - but I am using Dromed with Tafferpatcher on Win 7; but cannot find out how to compress the texture pallette. There is a drop-down with an Add texture family; but not one for compressing textures that I am not using. Can anyone help with this? There must be a way to do this, but darned if I can figure it out! Thanks so much for any assistance.

there is not any way to compress them, at least not to my knowledge.

Wait, actually there is a way but not with dromed. What you could do is put the textures into a zip, which would compress them, and then add that zip file name to your darkinst.cfg

Thanks, sNeaksie, I will give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks so much

And that Tafferpatcher is fantastic!!! Thanks DJ Riff......great job!

Stupid question - I have DDFix installed from a couple of years ago. Should I just do a clean install of the game, then TafferPatcher?

Clean install - let Tafferpatcher do everything from the beginning. It is an installer.

Quote Originally Posted by ffox View Post
    Clean install - let Tafferpatcher do everything from the beginning. It is an installer.
    Cool, thanks - another stupid question: I can put my save my "saves" folder and put the contents in the new one after installation, right?

Neil_McCauley: Yes, you can save your saves folder and put the contents in the new one after installation.

Quote Originally Posted by ffox View Post
    OK, I've done this, but I actually installed it on a flash drive, as I want to play it on a Windows 7 laptop that I don't have admin rights on. The drive letters are all fine in darkinst.cfg.
    I click on thief2.exe and I get a black screen with menu sounds.
    On my home computer, (I had to manually change the drive letters), which is Windows XP with an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 graphics card, I see the menu, but the mouse cursor doesn't move at all.
    Perhaps installing on a flash drive was a mistake?

I don't see why it shouldn't work on a flash drive. There are possible cures in the FAQ ref NVIDIA cards. You could also see it it works if you remove the MOVIES folder from the Thief folder. If not I'm afraid you will have to wait until an expert comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_McCauley View Post
    OK, I've done this, but I actually installed it on a flash drive, as I want to play it on a Windows 7 laptop that I don't have admin rights on. The drive letters are all fine in darkinst.cfg.
    I click on thief2.exe and I get a black screen with menu sounds.
    On my home computer, (I had to manually change the drive letters), which is Windows XP with an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 graphics card, I see the menu, but the mouse cursor doesn't move at all.
    Perhaps installing on a flash drive was a mistake?
    I should add that the laptop in question has Windows 7 64 bit (where I get a black screen but I hear the menu).

Quote Originally Posted by fibanocci View Post
    Take a look at the Nvidia control panel, set "maximum number of frames to render in advance" to 0.
    This should work

This should work
    Didn't do anything on the XP machine.

The Windows 7 64 bit laptop of course doesn't have Nvidia.

I'm not sure what you did with your flash drive. Try to reinstall Tafferpatcher on a regular hard drive.
    To run it on a flash drive, you'll need to change the resname_base in darkinst.cfg in something like that (I guess).

resname_base .\res+.\

The Windows 7 64 bit laptop of course doesn't have Nvidia.
    How should I know this?

I'm not sure what you did with your flash drive. Try to reinstall Tafferpatcher on a regular hard drive.
    To run it on a flash drive, you'll need to change the resname_base in darkinst.cfg in something like that (I guess).

resname_base .\res+.\

How should I know this?
    Sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

My darkinst.cfg looks like this (which will only work on this laptop):

;cd_path D:\
    install_path F:\Thief2
    language english
    resname_base F:\Thief2\RES
    load_path F:\Thief2
    script_module_path F:\Thief2
    movie_path F:\Thief2\MOVIES

Which ddfix-version did you use? Try an older version, 1.5.5 (included in Tafferpatcher) or 1.4.5 over here.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121449
    Older versions won't cause the menu-delay-syndrome.

Which ddfix-version did you use? Try an older version, 1.5.5 (included in Tafferpatcher) or 1.4.5 over here.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121449
    Older versions won't cause the menu-delay-syndrome.
    Oh barnacles, I was wondering about that. I believe I chose the most recent version of ddfix 1.5.11? I think.

EDIT: ddfix 1.5.5 still does nothing. I tried compatibility for thief2.exe for win98/ME, and the menu appeared in window, I could move the mouse cursor, but when I start a new game, it starts to load, then black screen, no sound, nothing.
    It seems my wish of portable Thief 2 on Win 7 is not meant to be.
    Last edited by Neil_McCauley; 10th Jul 2011 at 16:18.

Does it work on a hard drive now? This has to be done first.

As for the portable version. If you edit the darkinst.cfg like this

;cd_path .\
    install_path .\
    language english
    resname_base .\res+.\
    load_path .\+.\
    script_module_path .\+.\
    movie_path .\movies+\.movies

this should work on a flash drive. It's working for me.

Does it work on a hard drive now? This has to be done first.

As for the portable version. If you edit the darkinst.cfg like this

;cd_path .\
    install_path .\
    language english
    resname_base .\res+.\
    load_path .\+.\
    script_module_path .\+.\
    movie_path .\movies+\.movies

this should work on a flash drive. It's working for me.
    COOL, thank you for this! I haven't installed it yet on my desktop. Another thing I thought of: when I installed it with TafferPatcher, it asked what version of DirectX. The default was 10 and I just went with that. Should I have chosen a lower version?

@Neil:
    I'm using windows 7 64 bit. For thief2.exe, I have Disable Desktop Composition checked, and everything else unchecked. (Including compatibility setting.) You might try that.
    thief2_compat..png

Also, when setting compatibility, you should try windows 2000, windows xp, and windows vista to see if any of those help the situation. Also, as was mentioned before, the movies may be an issue, so what i'd do is just comment out the movies line entirely. I think what can happen with the movies is that if they are unable to play properly, it will cause black screen and then crash.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 11th Jul 2011 at 16:25.

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718232833 ... LastLast