TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192429 ... LastLast

Thread: Tafferpatcher: unofficial complete patch for Thief 2

OK so I've installed Thief 2 with TafferPatcher on my XP desktop (SP3, NVIDIA 7300 GT), this time with ddfix 1.1.1. 1.5.5 didn't work; the menu came up and it just flickered. 1.1.1 works fine - the menus and movies are stretched to widescreen, however (I entered the resolution of my Dell 16:10 monitor in the setup). Can that be fixed?
    I started the game and it was fine. I haven't done enough to see if weather effects work.

Now to try it on the USB drive on the Win7 laptop.

in addition to what fibanocci said, you only need the widescreen patch for older ddfix releases. I don't recall when it was first added, but yeah, you need the patch if you use ddfix 1.1.1

I couldn't get the widescreen patch to work. I reinstalled with ddfix 1.5.5, works fine on my XP machine, still get the black screen in Win7. Tried compatibility with Win 2000 and above, same result. Compatibility with Win 98 same, only in a window.

I'm about ready to give up. In addition to being able to play it on my work laptop from a USB drive, it's also a test to see if Thief 2 can run in Win7 64-bit, as I'm considering upgrading on the aforementioned desktop computer. I will not if I can't play Thief games.

Yeah, I'd say since you have two machines and you're able to get thief to run fine on one, keep that particular machine on windows xp, since the other one has windows 7. Also , may i suggest that you check to see if thief 2 is indeed running on only one core? You can do this by opening the processes manager (alt tab out of game and then hit ctrl + alt + del) right clicking thief.exe , set affinity.

Did you try my suggested settings I posted? (no compatibility mode, disable desktop composition?)

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Yeah, I'd say since you have two machines and you're able to get thief to run fine on one, keep that particular machine on windows xp, since the other one has windows 7. Also , may i suggest that you check to see if thief 2 is indeed running on only one core? You can do this by opening the processes manager (alt tab out of game and then hit ctrl + alt + del) right clicking thief.exe , set affinity.

Did you try my suggested settings I posted? (no compatibility mode, disable desktop composition?)
    Yep, tried no compatibility and disable desktop composition. I'll have to check about the affinity. One thing though is that when the game starts and there's the black screen, I hear the menu - I've read about this a couple of times.
    I need it to work on Win7 as the laptop is my work laptop (hence wanting to run the game from a USB drive), and I want to upgrade the home machine.

I don't know if it will help, but here's the info on the graphics chip on the laptop:

Intel® HD Graphics (Core i5)

Report Date: 7/13/2011
    Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 9:47:25
    Driver Version: 8.15.10.2119
    Operating System: Windows 7 (6.1.7600)
    Default Language: English (United States)
    DirectX* Version: 10.0
    Physical Memory: 7983 MB
    Minimum Graphics Memory: 32 MB
    Maximum Graphics Memory: 1696 MB
    Graphics Memory in Use: 52 MB
    Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Speed: 2527 MHz
    Vendor ID: 8086
    Device ID: 0046
    Device Revision: 02

* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Video BIOS: 2009.0
    Current Graphics Mode: 1366 by 768
    Last edited by Neil_McCauley; 13th Jul 2011 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_McCauley View Post
    ... it's also a test to see if Thief 2 can run in Win7 64-bit
    A large number of us are running Thief 2 (& 1) in Win 7 64 with no problems.

I have 2 such PCs and am using ddfix 1.3.11 (which seems to work well for a lot of people) with the widescreen patch on both.

The resolution in ddfix.ini and cam.cfg is 1280 x 720 on the PC with a 16:9 monitor and 1440 x 900 on the one with a 16:10 monitor.

The 16:9 one has a Radeon 5830 graphics card, Catalyst 10.3 driver, the 16:10 one uses the on-board NVIDIA GeForce 7025/NVIDIA nForce 630a with 8.16.11.9107 driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ffox View Post
    A large number of us are running Thief 2 (& 1) in Win 7 64 with no problems.

I have 2 such PCs and am using ddfix 1.3.11 (which seems to work well for a lot of people) with the widescreen patch on both.

The resolution in ddfix.ini and cam.cfg is 1280 x 720 on the PC with a 16:9 monitor and 1440 x 900 on the one with a 16:10 monitor.

The 16:9 one has a Radeon 5830 graphics card, Catalyst 10.3 driver, the 16:10 one uses the on-board NVIDIA GeForce 7025/NVIDIA nForce 630a with 8.16.11.9107 driver.
    Did you install the game with TafferPatcher? Or install the game, install ddfix?

I've done it both ways and both worked. (The Tafferpatcher I used was older than the current one - version 0.6.2.)

Quote Originally Posted by ffox View Post
    I've done it both ways and both worked. (The Tafferpatcher I used was older than the current one - version 0.6.2.)
    Can that version still be found? Did you install widescreen patch, mission fixes, textures, etc?

Can that version still be found?
    http://www.southquarter.com/downloads/TafferPatcher.exe

When first installed it wouldn't run for more than a few seconds until the multi-core problem was sorted with FlipTIB.

At that stage it ran without crashing, although colours, textures etc were awful. ddfix sorted that. Then I applied the widescreen patch - selecting the best resolution took a bit of time.

No bells and whistles were added until later.

The problem is that thief was meant for windows 98 or windows 2000. So it's really no surprise you're having problems, and the issue is that we may not even be able to solve the problem because you have a newer system that hasn't been tested on.
    Anyway, my understanding is that thief crashing after playing for a few minutes or trying to start a level is because of multi-core problems IIRC, since the game wasn't meant to run on multi-core systems.

The latest ddfix versions should have multicorefix = 1, so it should be fine, but it's possible that your older version of ddfix doesn't have that enabled. Check the ddfix.ini file. Mid-post update: I checked my 1.1.1, and it doesn't have a ddfix.ini. Hmm. Do you have a ddfix.ini for 1.1.1?

If you check the affinity and you see that it's still running on more than 1 core despite having made sure that the multicore fix is enabled, then you need to make it so that it only runs on one by other means. There are multiple ways of doing this, just depends on how you want to go about it.

I just installed with TafferPatcher .6.2 on my XP machine, but the installation path was a USB drive. Chose ddfix and widescreen utilities. Went to the Win7 laptop, changed the installation path in darkinst.cfg, and the same thing that has been happening all along: totally black screen, I hear the menu. I move around the mouse and I hear the familiar sounds. I can find QUIT and it quits like normal. It's just, well, totally black. I've tried "disable desktop composition" with and without Compatibility in various configurations. Checked the Affinity on thief2.exe, one core.

Some things you might want to take a look at:

http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.ph...#texturememory

http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133946#movies

http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133946#map

I realize some of the information in there is old (such as referring to old nvidia cards/drivers) or possibly not relevant, but it might still be worth a shot, you never know.

I just installed with TafferPatcher .6.2 on my XP machine, but the installation path was a USB drive. Chose ddfix and widescreen utilities. Went to the Win7 laptop, changed the installation path in darkinst.cfg, and the same thing that has been happening all along: totally black screen, I hear the menu. I move around the mouse and I hear the familiar sounds. I can find QUIT and it quits like normal. It's just, well, totally black. I've tried "disable desktop composition" with and without Compatibility in various configurations. Checked the Affinity on thief2.exe, one core.
    OK, I think I didn't have the correct resolution in ddfix.ini and cam.cfg. Changed it to the laptop's widescreen res and the menu loads fine, I can start a new game.

HOWEVER, when the mission loads (no movie), it's 4:3 resolution, the image is totally screwed up, and I get this message:
    "the screen mode could not be set" and the game crashed.
    I noticed a pop-up - "Change to Windows 7 Basic Display" or thereabouts, and "a running program is not fully compatible" or something like that.

Did you bother to check those links?

The screen mode could not be set is a resolution mismatch problem.
    Either
    A.) ddfix.ini / cam.cfg do not match

or

B.) You've set a resolution that is not compatible with thief.

That pop up is normal for older games in windows 7. Basically, it's automatically disabling the special Aero features of W7 for the game. (It's the same thing as checking disable desktop composition, I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Did you bother to check those links?

The screen mode could not be set is a resolution mismatch problem.
    Either
    A.) ddfix.ini / cam.cfg do not match

or

B.) You've set a resolution that is not compatible with thief.

That pop up is normal for older games in windows 7. Basically, it's automatically disabling the special Aero features of W7 for the game. (It's the same thing as checking disable desktop composition, I think.)
    thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Neil_McCauley; 15th Jul 2011 at 13:31.

OK, I think I didn't have the correct resolution in ddfix.ini and cam.cfg. Changed it to the laptop's widescreen res and the menu loads fine, I can start a new game.
    If you're changing the resolution to something which is not supported by original game, you must change it via Tafferpatcher or widescreen application because it has to be hacked into thief2.exe itself besides cam.cfg and ddfix.ini every time you change it.

That was changed only in the latest DDFix 1.5.11 and only for thief2.exe, not for Dromed.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Riff View Post
    If you're changing the resolution to something which is not supported by original game, you must change it via Tafferpatcher or widescreen application because it has to be hacked into thief2.exe itself besides cam.cfg and ddfix.ini every time you change it.

That was changed only in the latest DDFix 1.5.11 and only for thief2.exe, not for Dromed.
    I see; I'll do my homework and be better prepared before I post.

I thought you already knew about widescreen patch?

Though if you switch back to a newer ddfix, then you won't have to worry about the patch, since I've been told that the newest has it built in, so to speak.

I got Tafferpatcher for my Thief 2, and it works great. But I was just wondering... When I recently got the makeshift Tafferpatcher for Thief Gold, it included the enhanced models and cool new water effects. It would be nice to see those enhancements in Thief 2 too.

And I've seen some enhanced textures in some Thief 2 videos. Where can I find those?

What enhancements? Are you talking about the patches from here by daemonite and Orgy? They were taken from thief 2, so thief 2 already has "enhanced models."

No, I mean this. When I installed it on my Thief Gold, it added the enhanced AI and object models. Everything is updated to more high-quality models, plus the water looks really good and has new animations.

I think I have had the high-quality model pack for my Thief 2 back when I still had Windows XP, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. And I don't know whether it's in any way compatible with Tafferpatcher. I don't know if installing it would corrupt the existing installation of Tafferpatcher.

Oops, i forgot in the context of thief that "model" refers to objects and not to AI, aka "meshes."
    Yeah, that's the EP (Enhancement Pack) from Nameless Voice - it was meant for thief 2, but works on thief gold as you already know. Oh yes, the "t2water," that's what you're referring to then yes?

Hmm, the enhanced textures you mentioned in a earlier post could be NTEX. That's the only high quality textures for thief 2 that I can think of off the top of my head. I remember thinking that they didn't do justice (personal opinion) to the thief style of textures, and so I decided to not use them because I didn't like how different they were from the original lower quality textures. If you search the forums for NTEX you should be able to find it. Also look up enhancement pack for thief 2. I don't have links ready for you, sorry. Just noticed while writing this post that that very thread you just linked me to has a link to the enhancement pack thread. I included it above. Isn't that what you're looking for?

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192429 ... LastLast