TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Creative stuff here

Since it was two weeks before his post was acknowledged, and then over a month before your thing, I don't think he comes by that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Since it was two weeks before his post was acknowledged, and then over a month before your thing, I don't think he comes by that often.
    But at least Muzman's still here!

Dude! What is this? That's got to be nearly everybody by now. Even Cybernide swung by (although no Shades now I think about it)

Shouldn't glslvrfan get an email that a thread he posted to has been updated? I know I do. Tell you what, I'll PM glslvrfan and we'll see.
    Last edited by LarryG; 19th Jun 2012 at 19:53.

Dude! What is this? That's got to be nearly everybody by now. Even Cybernide swung by (although no Shades now I think about it)
    Hehehe, I've come on and lurked every other blue moon or so.

Once you've been through the looking glass, it never truly leaves you.

It's good to see the place still up and some familiar ol' faces still around.

Yeah, as CHILL's said... this place is like home. Even with DNS issues, I had to at least find some way here (thank you nbohr1more from the darkmod forums for the tip).

Quote Originally Posted by Nedan View Post
    Yeah, as CHILL's said... this place is like home. Even with DNS issues, I had to at least find some way here (thank you nbohr1more from the darkmod forums for the tip).
    I'd point out that nbohr got the tip from me (edit: unless we posted it independently at about the same time), but you should really thank Al_B from the FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    @glslvrfan: No thanks? After more than two weeks? This will be the last time I help you out, and I doubt anyone else will either.
    Larry This is so awesome. I cant believe it took this long for me to catch it. I am so so sorry. I completely forgot about this. Thank you so much. I really am sorry that it has taken so long.

I come by and browse through once a day, or every other day at the most. I cleared history and everything yesterday for the 1st time in seemingly months. Notification came in on Larry's private message. Sorry again it took so long to acknowledge. You did a fantastic job.

verbose douchebag

This is a music video by my housemate's band. I helped to record and produce the track.

Watch it, and if you like it, please share. They do this semi-professionally, but as for all non-major label bands, it's hard to keep the profile up among so many other bands out there.

I thought I watched this, but I guess not. Interesting. There's a lot of music these days doing a "sound" from the past, I guess you could say, (probably pissing off the bands saying this). There's a lot of 80s synth pop, sort of Tears for Fears and Hall & Oats stuff. Can't say I've heard a Depeche Mode until now though. Cool
    Anyway, enough music sociology.

So this happened I guess

It was fun, but I'm kind of ambivalent on the results myself. It looks like it was done the way it was done; cheap and fast. The "clients' are very happy though, which is nice.

I invented a language. That's sort of creative.
    It's called Wasmaxna. It's sort of a homage to three languages I learned or part of family history.
    The core grammar is like Chickasaw (VSO), with a conjugated verb up front doing all the work, and the rest of the sentence filling in its arguments. The verbs are on a root system like Hebrew. And a lot of the structure (things like relative clauses and case tags) are like Japanese. I'm working out glyphs that are like Japanese kanji but with a Hebrew calligraphy style.

Here is a copy of the grammar if anyone is curious (WIP; a lot of things are still in flux & changing fast).

And here I'm working on a translation of Emerson's Self Reliance so I can figure out how my own language works & know how to develop it.

If you want to see how it looks, the first three sentences of that essay are transliterated like the following. (NB, "c" sounds like English "ch", "x" like English "sh", and "r" like a French "r" with a bit of Hebrew "ch" in it. It reads in consonant-vowel pairs, or a vowel by itself, occasionally CCVs. You don't combine vowels, and pronounce it pretty much as it is, like Japanese.):

Yakix-Wutfen sobu pewo-e, yikul-custeh paposano yaforofe-ma, henine xan xunu iciname tate-cap. Kiti-hohcit rofowe macawe-mae holasobu-ca hixu benopi-kop pohu, xu koti-fanfah-halos mayeha-ca. Kiti-hokxir yixkul-monpim yapmabiso-mae solici-ce-ca kixkul-pahbaf-nofo xayi waruse-ca ra.
    Last edited by demagogue; 30th Nov 2012 at 01:45.

Usually people tell me that I have too much free-time. Anyway, sounds great as a concept and reminds me of Turkish with its agglutinating features (and of course Arabic with the root system). And I never thought the old Age of Empires priests were saying "preface, preface" in Wasmaxna when proselytizing.

Speaking of creativity, I've done some handicraft now and then but apparently all more recent photos suffered from the last hard disk formatting. So this is some of the oldest stuff when I had almost no idea about what I was doing (quiver and bowcase, neither weapons nor the vambraces):

The quiver is roughly Thief-1-inspired (but you don't get any reasonable design from the concept drawings etc.) and the bowcase based on historical evidence. Speaking of it, the construction is anything but historical. However, I used to get to museums and real primary sources only later and nowadays I'd hardly build anything without getting as much data as possible. Illustrations for instance only rarely reveal construction methods. Maybe I take a photo of my latest Ottoman-style quiver, that's more like it.

Never really studied Turkish, but when doing something like this it almost needs to be agglutinating to keep track of what's going on when developing it. Even inventing it, I still have to learn it myself like any foreign language to even know how it works. Another thing it apparently shares with Turkish (I've read, I actually took it from Japanese) is being relentlessly head-final. If I translated "The black train that I saw yesterday" it'd be like "the seen-by-me-yesterday black train".

Not my stuff, but I'm surrounded by a baffling number of talented bands & artists - here's some of my friends' music:

Tia Rhian

More:
    http://soundcloud.com/tiarhian
    (Trouble... and Bitter Heart are personal favourites)

I think all her uploads are covers so far, but I've seen her perform a song of her own just once and it was incredible.

Joe Tilston
    http://soundcloud.com/joetilston (You & I and Little Scars are my favourites)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUVc3YCkm1M (another highlight, Different Feet)
    Joe's just completed his first solo album, he's the bassist in ska punks Random Hand and part of an absurdly talented family of folk musicians - have a look for Martha Tilston, Molly Jones and Maggie Boyle if you like his stuff, and here's his dad on the telly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6XIEFtm_Xo

Dolphins
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHOXrJs-P04 (Indifference)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3uRSBfX3Z0 (Dolphins - instrumental)
    Helmety and occasionally slightly Soundgardeny lads from Bradford. Listen to their whole debut album here: http://dolphins-music.bandcamp.com/

Black Moth
    Sabbathy Melvinsy Monster Magnety metal from Leeds. Played their first Leeds festival this year, great reviews for their first album with Metal Hammer saying it was the best debut of the year so far Can we embed Soundcloud? Love the first two tracks here:
    http://soundcloud.com/blackmoth-1

I can't write or sing or play an instrument. I drew this cat.

Been working on an album for ages now. We got a microgrant from a local arts council and used to it rent the sanctuary of a United Church downtown for a week to record in.

Wow acoustics in that place must have been amazing, what natural reverb! And a grand piano too.

Yeah, the acoustics were great. It made recording drums a real pleasure especially. They've got a nice spacious sound that we've never been able to achieve before. The grand piano was a Bosendorfer, and it was actually tuned o_o (which was not part of the contract). It'll be on nearly every song

Well, I read the first few posts and listened to some tracks...

Piglick. Nice stuff. The Funk did have a little Steely Dan vibe deep down, but mostly I got Wild Cherry (Play that Fubky Music )

I'll have to dig deeper into this thread but figured i'd post what I've been doing.

2012, after messing with 3d modelling (mainly Thief II and Darkmod... but morrowind, zero gear, etc... ) since 2000 I have gotten a bit bored. I recently started working with clay. Something about it, I'm hooked. Not very good yet but completely consumed. All I do is work and go to the studio... and screw around online in down time.

Funny 'cause I have been making pots in 3d for so long, now I'm doing it in real life

about 12-14 inches tall

Sake set (sold)

Bowls, given to Empty Bowls to raise money for soup kitchen

For shits and giggles, pots I made for T2 (now in TDM)

In between working on our record, we wrote and recorded another cheesy Christmas song for a local record label's annual compilation.

http://oldugly.bandcamp.com/album/ol...s-with-friends

(ours is the first track)

Still Subjective
    I really like those pots Schwaa. Especially the green on on the right in the bottom picture.

In other news my cheap ass video clip recently ticked over 6000 views.
    That's a lot where I come from. No doubt attributable to the enduring popularity of drum n bass and a good track too. So I had almost nothing to to do with it. But! I'll take it.

I really enjoyed that, so how much of that is your own?

Excellent.
    The rapper and the logos and stuff are from the label guys and gals. They kinda sent it to me at the last minute. Would have liked it earlier to work it in a bit better. The rest is all me. I was working on another film at the same time (with the guys in the van) so it was a bit of a mad month /anecdotesarefun.

Still Subjective
    Still unclear as to what your part was. Were the director, the camera man, the editor, the guy in the van?

If it's as indie as he's making it sound, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the director/camera man/editor/guy in the van all in one.