TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: How do I create an arcing bolt of electricity?

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

How do I create an arcing bolt of electricity?

Instead of small particles shooting between 2 transformers, I would like an "Arc" between them.
    I am sure it has to do with the size and quantity of particles, but I cant seem to get the particles to change from little or big broken up stream to a constant Arc. Like seen in the movie "Frankenstein"

I would like an Arc about 8 feet long, and blue. This is for the Summer Contest fm. Thanks !
    How do I configure this?

Try increasing the number of particles and/or decreasing their launch period and/or adjusting their min and max (life) times (in bounding box setting).

Thanks NV ! I tried to find a logical way, and I know I have seen some cool Arc's in an fm or 2, but I just couldn't figure.
    Thanks again !

Increasing the size can also help it look more substantial. If you're looking for the particles to move between two objects and not go past it, your min and max times should probably be the same, and you'll have to play with the value to get the distance just right.

Thanks Yandros, This is very helpful. Thanks again !

i am curious to see the final result

darthlair would you like to post a screenshot (or better a video) at the end of it ?

Sure sterlino, be glad to.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    Sure sterlino, be glad to.
    thank u

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i've been wanting to do something along this line for a while, i think a series of custom objects with a lightning bolt texture and a flicker state property, like the torches would work well. i'll put it on my to try list.

Thanks Jason, I am still trying to get the effect I want. I looked at " The first mission in "Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and in the Laboratory in the beginning of his escape. Those kind of Arc's is what I would like to use.

Sterlino, here is the arcing bolt experiment I am working on now.

******** width="480" height="360">

You could always make a lightning bolt object that has no physics but uses animlight and / or Tweq>Flicker to get the effect. I'm thinking of an object like the chain object which is basically two 2D planes at 90 degrees with a texture on them. Take a real lightning bolt photo (or better yet sequential stills from a lightning strike video for an animated bolt) and turn it into a texture (or animated texture_) which uses color 0 (transparent) for all but the lightning bolt. I'm betting you could get a pretty special effect that way . . . I may have to try that!

EDIT: Just saw Jason's similar suggestion above. Beat me to it by over 2 years! Though he wanted to animate the model & I want to animate the texture ... basically the same idea
    Last edited by LarryG; 12th Jul 2012 at 17:42.

This is an animated model. 4 models of the lightning bolt. You say a chain may work ? I also used a flicker state on these models. I tweaked around on the speeds, and that was the best I could do using the forked model. I used only one texture. Be interesting to see it with animated textures. Be easy enough. I am sort of getting into editing alot of models such as the one above. Just need some better models for an arcing effect seen in "Return to Castle wolfenstein" The best one I have ever seen in a game.

This does look better in game. If you can find a better way Larry, please let me know or make a video of it. The thief world always needs improvements in effects.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 12th Jul 2012 at 19:00.

This is a single object with an animated texture (at the max, 20 frames). I'm not really thrilled with the frame rate of the animated textures. NV says it's fixed 4 fps, and I would like to speed it up a bit for this situation, but ... oh well, wishes and horses.

Also, FRAPS showed 75 FPS when I wasn't recording, but only 30 FPS during recording. So you aren't seeing it looking quite as good as it was in-game. but with a 4 fps on the animation, I guess it really doesn't matter.

if you want it, here it is.

ChainLightning..zip

Edit: oh, I found a really cool 50 frame animation but no way to use it . . . well I suppose a properly timed model tweq and five sets of 10 animated textures could use all of them but I've no real use for this so I leave that as an exercise for the reader (if you want the 50 frames PM me) . . . and a GIMP program to to create more custom lightning animations.
    Last edited by LarryG; 13th Jul 2012 at 03:34.

Wow Larry ! Great ! Looks very good ! Thankyou !

I had to remove my model because framerate was too low ingame. Even rotating it, made it off center, so I scrapped mine. Thankyou, this rocks !

I wonder if tga would be better, with a brightness related alpha channel, instead of a gif with an all or nothing transparency. I may give that 50 frame animation a shot after all just to compare tga to gif for this application. I don't know much about tga textures, so this might be a good opportunity to learn some.

No promises. I may not have the time to try it. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I wonder if tga would be better, with a brightness related alpha channel, instead of a gif with an all or nothing transparency. I may give that 50 frame animation a shot after all just to compare tga to gif for this application. I don't know much about tga textures, so this might be a good opportunity to learn some.

No promises. I may not have the time to try it. We'll see.
    Great Larry ! I suppose since this chain is a 2d plane that rotating it wont change the texture animation. Just curious. The gimp lightning rocks also. Similar to the arc I see in Wolfenstein. In Wolfenstein they give it the high voltage blue shade which is cool. I have ascene using high voltage where an ai gets too close to it and is fried. He smokes a little bit then falls.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 13th Jul 2012 at 10:41.

It's not a 2D plane. It's two 2D planes at right angles. That way no matter what angle you view it, you never see it just edge on and have the lightning disappear completely. It is very low poly that way and hence does not impact frame rates much.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    and a GIMP program
    I have one of those.

The zap looks better in blue:

If the frames are gifs it looks quite bad because it's hard to get the index 0 to stop in all the right places, so tga is the best choice in my opinion. Here's a 12 frame animation using tgas:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/zap.zip

For overcoming the framerate problem tweq models can be used, but if you want more than 6 frames the object has to slay itself and the end and be corpse linked to another object that tweqs through another set of models. Not fun to set up but it should work. Controlling it with a lever will be very tricky.

When I set up my test, I didn't use model tweqs. I made an archetype for each model with a corpse link to the next. The last one was given a corpse link to the first. Their parent archetype was given the Tweq Delete properties (slay object, rate 50, SimSmallRad).

Of course anything that involves deleting and replacing the objects will make it hard turn them on and off with a switch.

Typing all that has made me feel that a 6 frame version will be needed:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/zap6frames.zip
    More repetitive but only one tweq models object needed. Select the 'wrap' option in the tweq property. To control it with a switch it's probably best to use teleporting to show/hide it.

If anyone else has Gimp, the settings I used for that effect are:
    X: 128
    Y: 256

Instability: 2
    Frequency: 15
    Detail: 10
    Hue: 240
    Glow: 0.2
    Transparent: true

Wow Robin, thanks ! That is too cool !

I edited Larry's model with a hex editor, and changed the names of the 6 .tga's in psp. Placed them in the obj/txt16 folder, but come up with cant load resource chlgt_.tga error. Something I must be doing wrong ?

I named the .tga's like so: Using Paint Shop Pro version 8 to" save as" .tga so I would not lose any data.

1.chlgt_.tga
    2.chlgt_1.tga
    3.chlgt_2.tga
    4.chlgt_3.tga
    5.chlgt_4.tga
    6.chlgt_5.tga

I used the dromed patch to allow for object .tga usage. No go. Trying to find a good .gif palette.

******** width="480" height="360">

Here is a little lightning storm we had yesterday.

Edit:
    Now, that I have learned alittle more about .tga's I am trying to get the deeper blue color over the light blue which is still overpowered by the white, as seen in the video. Does the thief engine have a limit to any of the shades of blue using tga's.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 2nd Aug 2012 at 02:12.

I used your 6 tga's Robin, and made a new alpha channel with more blue than I had last time.

Animation shop didn't save as tga, only gif, so this example isn't the same.

It doesn't look bad here, but in game it hasn't changed from the last version of gifs.

Thief must have a limitation of blue shades, so having a beautiful arc must not be possible ?

Last edited by darthsLair; 2nd Aug 2012 at 13:57.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    Thief must have a limitation of blue shades
    No.