TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Multiplayer Meetup Thread

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine

The Multiplayer Meetup Thread

So I've noticed a lot of discussion regarding meeting up for multiplayer games, et cetera, so on so forth, and I thought I'd make a single thread to consolidate any further discussion.

The general format would be to list the games you play, when you're available, what service you're on if any (like Steam, or XBox Live, etc.), and also preferably your location and speed. Any other details you think are relevant would be good too, including any nicknames you use on Steam or whatever.

Games I play: Left4Dead 1 and 2, DEFCON, and possibly Alien Swarm (not currently installed, but let me know.)

I'm usually available: Friday-Monday, evenings, with a preference for Friday night. The odd weekday afternoon is suitable too, but it's heavily dependent on the weather conditions- cloudy days are fine, sunny days are right out due to the glare in my room.

<2mb down, some worthless bullshit up, I'm on DSL and I live in the midwestern US. GMT -5 outside of DST.

Regarding L4D: I don't play Versus and if there's a control freak in the group I'm leaving. Other than that, let's play, let's suck a lot, and laugh at it!

Regarding DEFCON: someone play this with me

Regarding Alien Swarm: 4 guys minimum or gtfo

Steam username: 0wtf0dethtoll, playername changes so I won't bother keeping this updated

I'm also up for AvP Classic 2000 if someone wants to play that- I've never played, and I'm curious. utter insanity, fun for a romp but nothing I'd do again
    Last edited by dethtoll; 13th Feb 2011 at 14:40. Reason: not-so-recent changes in my internet speed, still less than it used to be :(

El Shagmeister

Can I make a humble suggestion?

Mind you, this one is mostly aimed at the Admins, but I guess to this thread (which is a cool initiative, son ) too.

Why don't we make TTLG Multiplayer subforums?, were we can have A)a database of all the TTLGers IDs that use Steam, LIVE, PSN or any other online services, B)to make small group threads (which makes it easier to spot than searching in the one megathread) looking X players for Y game.

Methinks it's about time the forums got some multiplayer subforums I'm sure the crowd looking to set up matches will follow quickly. And yes, PMs are good, but only when you already have your team set up, this is mostly for people looking to book players for a game at a certain date/time. Open tournament night, so to speak, and much more.

I'm just saying...still, thanks for the thread, dethy

I think we need more info than that dethtoll - usernames/niks at least.

kk here we go.

Speeds: Down - 10 Mb/s, Up - 0.9 Mb/s
    Preferred time of play: after 8pm GMT

I play the following MP games on Steam:
    L4D1
    Company of Heroes
    Alien Swarm
    Red Orchestra: Ostfront

Username: Sub Effect

Company of Heroes in-game username: SubjectiveEffect

Edit: Seconding MrDuck's suggestion. A dedicated forum would be useful.

Not quite the same thing, but remember that TTLG user profiles have an option for entering your Steam ID (and XBox Live names, etc.)
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 3rd Jan 2011 at 18:29.

Steam: Click

Games:
    Serious Sam (orig. and HD)
    L4D 1 and 2
    Borderlands
    Killing Floor
    Plain Sight
    Dogfighter
    Titan Quest + Exp.
    Alien Swarm
    Frontlines:Fuel of War (just bought, trying out SP and MP)

And I have AVP 2000...I am curious too, deth.

Eastern time Zone USA
    Mostly avail. mornings-mid afternoon and then 8pm-? my time (GMT+5)
    Cable Broadband 7 Megabits Dn/ 1 Megabit Up.
    Last edited by gunsmoke; 30th Oct 2010 at 09:41.

My profile

Currently the only MP games I own.

L4D 1+2
    Alien Swarm

GMT +12

Usually on whenever.

Steam: UluTTLG
    Live: CaptainGarth

I'm usually online sporadically and like to avoid "are you on that bloody computer again" kind of domestics so just grab me when I'm on if you want to play.

I'm up for DEFCON, although I seem to recall I had a game with SD and it went on for about 4 hours

Steam:
    DEFCON
    Alien Swarm
    Borderlands

XboxLive:
    RDR (non-zombie edition)
    lots of other stuff, you can always compare games on my profile

UK, ADSL 3-4Mbit downstream, gnat's cock upstream

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gedanken

Steam:
    Left 4 Dead 2 (any game mode, been getting into versus lots)
    Left 4 Dead
    Alien Swarm (a little bit)
    Total War (Rome, Medieval 1 & 2)
    Killing Floor (a little bit)

Other:
    Total Annihilation
    Balanced Annihilation
    XTA
    (And I will annihilate you in any of these three games unless there's someone here in the Spring community that I don't know about. So if there is, let me know)
    Doom co-op

Australia, ADSL2+ connection on a business platform. I'm on at all sorts of hours

Just a note: I thought the point of keeping the steam and aim information, etc. in the user profile was that it somewhat protected that information from being scraped by bots. Is there any way this thread can be made exclusively accessible to members because putting the information in a thread undermines that security?

My Steam Profile

Games on steam: L4D2, TF2, Alien Swarm
    Others: Heroes of Newert, Starcraft 2

Up for L4D2 always. Connection is 8/1 Mbit. Residing in Finland. GMT +3 I think. Soon gonna be GMT +2 since its winter tiem.

El Shagmeister

Hey Ulu, what say ye?

MP Subforums, eh?

They could be private and we could have dumb leaderboard threads like best ttlg survival times and stuff WHOA

God that sounds cool. Much better than some of these other snoozey subs around here.

Steam profile
    • Alien Swarm
    • Civ V
    • TF 2
    • Worms Reloaded

I'm online most day except Monday and Saturday, from 7 to 10 EST.

Aliens vs Predator Gold is what I have. Hope its the same as others have. Its collecting dust too.

Ladron3dfx Steam add me sexy men.

Best to pick an old game and everyone jumps in. Nothing to hard or Gunsmoke might leave.

My current college schedule leaves me with little time for multiplayer, but I'm definitely up for some. There's nothing I play regularly at this point (still never found a good replacement for BF 1942) but I have various Steam titles + Bad Company 2, Trackmania, some other TTLG favorites. Alas, can't currently play on ze consoles due to cruelties of the college network.

Steam ID: Aerothorn

Incidentally, I'm starting to suspect that I'm the only person to have never played a L4D game. I might pick one of them up one of these days, though a friend of mine told me it was NOT newbie-friendly, with people booting people out for not knowing how to play properly (I guess you just have to practice offline a bunch?). Is it worth picking up the original as well as the sequel in one of Steam's constant bundle sales?

p.s. Totally up for a game of Defcon sometime.

Just get L4D2 - it is far better. Going back to the first game just feels like you're playing a neutered game. Plus it looks like the first game is going to be ported over to the second anyway. Also the gore is totally off the hook in the second one.

If you have any aptitude at all in a standard fps, then this isn't a hard game, even on Advanced. Expert is the game mode that sorts the men from the boys and you'll be kicked out on your arse if you can't pull your weight. If you get hit by a common infected (the run-of-the-mill zombies) in easy mode, you lose something like one health. In expert, they take off twenty per hit. Witches (a type of special infected) can one-shot kill you and tanks (massive super-zombies) will knock you down in one hit.

You may have heard about people getting kicked out of these games because they go in thinking "oh yeah I am fuckin leet in counterstrike I can own in this game for sure," but to be honest a lot of this game isn't about shooting it is about placement, awareness of your teammates' locations, things like this. Often people get kicked for running off by themselves, not keeping up or whatever. If you can learn how to play in a team and not shoot your allies you'll be fine. I have no hesitation kicking some ass who comes in and runs off with a katana, only to be killed a minute later. It takes quite a lot of concentration and patience to do well in some of the L4D game modes, so when you're forty-five minutes in when everyone's really low on health and some jerk comes in thinking he's leet liek jeff k, double-healing with the four medkits in the safe room, that's when kicking happens

edit: also L4D2 has Coach, the greatest character in any video game ever
    Last edited by Vernon; 30th Oct 2010 at 14:56.

El Shagmeister

While the mods/admins set-up a MP subfoum, might as well leave my calling cards

STEAM: Wuigi69
    XBL: Wuigi69
    PSN: Wuigi69

Yes, I like to keep it simple

I have many MP games on the 360 and PC, I do have a few in PS3.

I can usually play any day after 9 pm CST (or Mexico City time, bwah!) minus tuesdays and sundays.

Mind you, currently not adding any more games to my queue, 'coz I need to discipline myself on keeping the tab low to finish a bit more of my ENORMOUS back log.

Though I do plan on reinstalling both L4Ds.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    Steam ID: Aerothorn

Incidentally, I'm starting to suspect that I'm the only person to have never played a L4D game. I might pick one of them up one of these days, though a friend of mine told me it was NOT newbie-friendly, with people booting people out for not knowing how to play properly (I guess you just have to practice offline a bunch?). Is it worth picking up the original as well as the sequel in one of Steam's constant bundle sales?
    Aero,
    I found L4D to be one of the most welcoming MP communities ever. I walked in not having played serious MP since FarCry and SoF 2. I INSTANTLY had folks bending over backwards (just in March, mind you) to help me out. Especially here on TTLG. I am willing to return the favor. If you have a mic, add me when you get one or both games. I'll play with you on Norm. or Easy and show you all the inner workings of zombeh stompin'. If you don't wanna fuck with me, just go pub on easy or norm, you'll find a good group rather quickly I imagine.

Steam: Either Zerker or ZerkerX (one is my login, one is what shows on my profile). Speaking of profiles... here is my profile.

I'm usually free from 7 to 9 pm EDT (-4 GMT) soon to be EST (-5 GMT) during the week, or from 9 am to 9 pm during the weekend (unless something is happening).

Games I like playing for Multiplayer:

Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Duke 3D co-op
    Neverwinter Nights
    Company of Heroes (though I'm not that good)
    Dawn of War 2 (+ Chaos Rising)
    Left 4 Dead 1/2
    Serious Sam FE/SE/2/FE HD
    UT, UT 2k4, UT3
    Freespace 2
    Worms Armageddon
    System Shock 2
    Thief 2

Edit: On PSN, I'm zercius. Multiplayer-compatible PS3 games I have include:
    Little Big Planet
    Uncharted 2
    Last edited by Zerker; 30th Oct 2010 at 18:01.

If you hurry up you can buy both for $15 before Monday.

And yeah, it's not newbie friendly at all. Play with bots or people you know.

Gunsmoke - thanks! As I said, my schedule is currently wonky enough that I can't post any scheduled times, but I have at least a couple of free evenings a week.

Gunsmoke - thanks! As I said, my schedule is currently wonky enough that I can't post any scheduled times, but I have at least a couple of free evenings a week.
    Aero, just message me sometime on Steam when you see me on. If I am on, I'll chat and tell you what's going on that day. Most likely, if it is 7am-4pm or 8pm-? Eastern USA time I will play.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Hey Ulu, what say ye?

MP Subforums, eh?
    My powers are weak, old man. You'll have to pester TEH ADMIN (I suggest Dave or GBM or Digi)

El Shagmeister

Fair enough.

Mind you, as a mod (i.e. someone who has enough trust from TEH ADMINS to have some basic-cable forum powers) you can put in a good word that this ain't a bad idea and kany around here would like such.

Yes, I will poke'em too.

Just saying, helping us for a common goal , wut?

Personally I'm against the idea. We already have a thread; making a whole new forum is just overkill.