TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call of Pripyat Complete

f. yeah

Using this mod will result in a performance impact, including longer loading times due to there being a much greater amount of sky and other HD texture content. Systems with less than 4GB of memory may experience “Out of memory” error crashes. Therefore, the mod has a minimum recommend GPU memory of 1GB.
    Balls. I know it's the meat of the mod, but I could really do without the high res textures, my main interest is in everything else in the package. I suppose I could try digging through the mod files and just removing the texture replacers if it's that bad, but I'll give the thing a spin nonetheless.

I'm never sure how GPU memory is counted if you've got an SLI setup. Are the amounts of memory added up, or is it the memory of a single graphics card that is relevant?

Taking a break
    Bah, SoC Complete required "large amount of memory" and I ran it almost completely smoothly(sole exception being the base in Army Warehouses) on my venerable 8800GTS 640MB and 2 gigs of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I'm never sure how GPU memory is counted if you've got an SLI setup. Are the amounts of memory added up, or is it the memory of a single graphics card that is relevant?
    Single. I run SLI. Thanks to EvaUnit for explaining it to me when I initially set it up last year.

Hmm. My two 460s have 768MB of memory. Here's hoping they'll still run this well. Then again, I've got tons of games I'm playing before Pripyat - my to-play pile's become quite tall...

Knows his stuff
    I was deliberating whether I should play Dead Space 2, Call of Pripyat, re-play Mass Effect 2 or get back to FO:NV. The Complete Mod just being finished is surely some kind of sign from the gaming-gods. Downloading mod and installing CoP right now.

Knows his stuff

started playing it today

I can't believe I trusted that asshole Tuna and he ripped me off! I don't think any game before this one has made me actually get out pen and paper and write down a shitlist which I keep next to my monitor. One of these days asshole, one of these days...

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I can't believe I trusted that asshole Tuna and he ripped me off! I don't think any game before this one has made me actually get out pen and paper and write down a shitlist which I keep next to my monitor. One of these days asshole, one of these days...
    CoP has always been a suitable game for personal vendettas.
    Unlike many accounts on the net, I've only had one crash in over 10 hours - possibly better than the original so far. The only oddity is after loading a savegame, the weapon in my hands at the point of save has been discarded, always have to look on the ground before continuing. Lost so many decent upgraded weapons that way.......

Knows his stuff
    I haven't encountered any bugs, just a few stutters, but I am running at max settings as well. I'm 7 hours in at the moment and I've only mucked about in the nothern part of the world so far, haven't gone down to Pripyat yet.

How do I get artifacts btw? I've already failed to procure 2 of the artifacts for Beard. Only "Firefly" left... though I have no idea where to get it or how. Am I supposed to find a Firefly anomaly somewhere? Are anomalies and artifacts linked together somehow?

In short, yes. You'll find that there's various groups of artifacts that do particular things and each group has a couple of classes. The difference is basically in strength or potency. Most of the groups are associated with a particular anomaly or two.
    Once you figure out the groups you can be fairly sure that where you find one class you'll be able to find another, but this depends on how good your detector is.
    There's also a few super mega unique artifacts that you'll find (Tuna stole one from you by the sounds of it )

Beard is a bit like the traders in Shadow of Chernobyl, in that he has a regular cycle of orders and you can go and get a bounty from him pretty much any time you like. So don't feel you have to urgently get missions from him and do them.

And you'll find actually getting to Pripyat isn't that straightforward.

@henke: what sort of rig are you running the game on? Do you have a video card with 1GB VRAM?

I'd actually be interested in hearing that as my system's getting quite long in the tooth by now, a C2D 2.13Ghz with 3 gigs of RAM and a GeForce 9800GT.

As for you, Thirith, I seriously doubt your twin 460s won't be up to the task. I say just give it a try.

Knows his stuff
    My specs? Oh shit I gotta get my Device Manager out for this one. I bought a new computer Christmas 2009 and it's a real high-end rig. Everything I've played on it has run just fine on max settings.

Ok here we go:
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3,2GHz
    6GB RAM
    64-bit Win7
    and the videocard is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 260. Not sure how much VRAM in it tho. I'm guessing... a bunch!

edit: just had to start up CoP and doublecheck my settings, it seems I'm running on High, not Max settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Once you figure out the groups you can be fairly sure that where you find one class you'll be able to find another
    Groups? Man I haven't been able to find a single artifact yet, much less any groups. I guess I'm supposed to use these detector things somehow, but how? I take one out and wave it around but the dials on it don't change, even when I'm close to anomalies. I'm quite sure I'm doing something completely wrong. IIRC in Shadow of Chernobyl artifacts were littered all over the place. Just lying glittering on the ground. Why can't I find any in CoP?

Thanks for the pointers though!
    Last edited by henke; 15th Mar 2011 at 12:08.

Yeah, they thought that was a bit too easy (I think this way is more like the original plan).

The basic detector works by sound only. You just go to an anomaly and get it out (From memory they're on the map. I think some stalkers will point them out if you ask them too). The thing will beep a little bit if there's an artifact in range. Then you walk around a bit and if the sound gets faster you know you're getting closer. You won't be able find the artifact until you're right on top of it.

Better detectors have direction finders and the best one has a little scanner on it to make it easier. Which is good because many of the artifacts move around a lot, before you can see them.
    And of course wandering around in an anomaly is often dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    My specs? Oh shit I gotta get my Device Manager out for this one.
    Click Start, right-click on Computer and select Properties for RAM and CPU.

Ok here we go:
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3,2GHz
    6GB RAM
    64-bit Win7
    and the videocard is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 260. Not sure how much VRAM in it tho. I'm guessing... a bunch!

edit: just had to start up CoP and doublecheck my settings, it seems I'm running on High, not Max settings.
    Thanks henke! The specs sheet nVidia gives for the GTX260 states 896 MB. Overall a very nice rig and it looks like CoP Complete can still squeeze all the juice out of it, not a very encouraging state of affairs for people like me.

But definitely good news for Thirith, at least in the graphics department. Go for it.

Clearinghouse
    Complete Mod - 7680x1600 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n6V0eAhC68 also available in 720p.

Okay, that looks pretty awesome. But we need screens with thinner bezels.

as long as it is not possible to have a multimonitorsetup with interlocking edges and no borders between screens I will continue to invest my money in a bigger screen instead of 3. It's amazing what you can do but that just hurts my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    as long as it is not possible to have a multimonitorsetup with interlocking edges and no borders between screens I will continue to invest my money in a bigger screen instead of 3. It's amazing what you can do but that just hurts my eyes.
    It's something you have to actually experience yourself to see how great it is. if you're watching from any other angle, it's difficult to watch.

Taking a break
    Doesn't change the fact there's still two huge vertical black bars on your screen. Nothx

Ok I have been playing this a little, its good, seems more challenging than the original on the same skill level and I love the improved draw distance and sharper textures. Getting a few odd sound glitches though, one annoying one in particular is when in the Ship there is a constant firing of a shotgun coming from somewhere, even during an emission. Anyone else encountered this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    Okay, that looks pretty awesome. But we need screens with thinner bezels.
    It is still better than those horrible 'video walls' made up of CRT televisions we had in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    Ok I have been playing this a little, its good, seems more challenging than the original on the same skill level and I love the improved draw distance and sharper textures. Getting a few odd sound glitches though, one annoying one in particular is when in the Ship there is a constant firing of a shotgun coming from somewhere, even during an emission. Anyone else encountered this?
    No, nothing like that. I assume it's obviously not a long firefight going on outside (I've heard guys firing away at some dog they can't actually hit).

I got a fairly bad one just now. When investigating the spooky cave I git a huge framerate hit. I thought it might be some effect to do with psi fields or something. But it stayed after the controller was dead. It was so bad you couldn't move without looking straight down at the ground. Then I thought maybe it was the sunset coming on and changed a few things. Still no luck. Then I tried sleeping until different parts of the day to see if that made any difference. Sadly no. Can't look up at all now. Even after saving and reloading, exiting the game etc (haven't tried a full restart yet).
    It's very odd. The weather and so on is almost entirely Atmosfear isn't it? I was running that mod on the last partial playthrough and it was perfectly fine.