TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 368

Thread: Prometheus

  1. #26
    "Reboot" would be more along the lines of redoing/reimagiing the existing stories that we already know so well. This is completely new, so no.

    But if this movie covers events and topics (the ship, the space jockey, the eggs w/aliens, etc.) that lead to what's found on LV-426 at the beginning of Alien, as far as I'm concerned it's a prequel.

  2. #27
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2002
    Location: BFE
    I think I have to agree with Scotts- all I've seen at this point is the trailer and the posts in this thread, but it seems to me that this is a story told in the Alien verse with no connections to the Alien stories. The Alien stories tell about humans contact and interactions with the xenos, while Prometheus tells about humans contact with something else- apparently the space jockey race or whatever they are. The fact that the space jockey and Weyland Yutani are in this film just means that they are part of the same universe.
    I see it as something like archaeologists finding a lost pyramid in Mexico that's been hit by looters. The xenos are the looters, and the Alien films follow Ridley's adventures with them, while Prometheus goes back to tell the story of whoever made the pyramid in the first place.

    That's the impression I get at this point, but regardless, Ridley Scott and the Alien verse has me squeeing like a little girl at a puppy party.

  3. #28
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2007
    Location: Alberta, Canada
    Original Giger artwork.
    obvious space Jockey and Derelict imagery
    Creepy hallway on derelict ripped right out of Alien
    Re: Muzman noting the original alien script w/ the Urns (i was going to mention this myself)
    David Giler
    Walter Hill

    Its Alien guys.

    Maybe Scott said it isn't alien because nobody did a good job of what he started and has disowned the franchise (save Fincher, fox should have let him run wild).

    Might be a mix between a reboot and a prequel. Something new, rebuilt on the old. Maybe not a reboot, but a redo. The entire Alien franchise was a flop. Low profits, low numbers sold etc. It could be a boost to the new project to stay away from officially relating to alien in anyway. While still being alien.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    The entire Alien franchise was a flop. Low profits, low numbers sold etc.
    Um...say again?

  5. #30
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: Yangon, Burma
    No John, you are the aliens!

  6. #31
    Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: 4 doors down, bad side of town
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    The entire Alien franchise was a flop. Low profits, low numbers sold etc.

  7. #32
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2007
    Location: Alberta, Canada
    If I find the numbers I'll post them. But Aliens is no Shrek when it comes to hauling in the money. Why do you think there have been no sequels for so long?

  8. #33
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: god dammit dantes
    Because the entire franchise!!!11 was a flop, of course. http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=alien.htm

    You're welcome.

  9. #34
    Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: 4 doors down, bad side of town
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    Why do you think there have been no sequels for so long?

  10. #35
    is Best Pony
    Registered: Nov 2002
    Location: Drowning in my Steam Library
    Uh-ohhhhh.

  11. #36
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2002
    Location: not anymore :(


    all i know about prometheus is that he was probably cast into the bowels of the earth and pecked by birds

  12. #37
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Europops
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    If I find the numbers I'll post them. But Aliens is no Shrek when it comes to hauling in the money. Why do you think there have been no sequels for so long?
    That's right, because if a film or set of films is successful you HAVE to make sequels ad infinitum. It's in the Bible, and had happened to EVERY financially successful film.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

  13. #38
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2007
    Location: Alberta, Canada
    Its why we got AVP instead of new Aliens movies, Fox didn't want to break the franchise up because they didn't want to turn away predator fans and lose possible revenue. It's all been discussed, on this forum even. Most of the alien movies barely broke even. When you sink 30 - 40 million into a movie you expect to make more than 5 million in profits. Why fund a movie that will net you a few hundred thousand tickets sold when you could fund a Michael Bay flick and sell out every theatre for a week when it opens.

    I'll look for it, not that i've any idea where it'd be, but I've seen the sales figures for the movies, It's probably on IMDB or something. I'm not just sharing my opinion here. It's fact.

    EDIT:

    I guess my info was a bit skewed, I must have only seen the domestic figures and not the int'l ones.

    http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/Alien.php
    Last edited by Volitions Advocate; 24th Dec 2011 at 12:38.

  14. #39
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: god dammit dantes
    Do you have me on your ignore list or something? Your facts were indeed wrong, that's the reason why everybody's been going 'lolwut?' at your assertions.

  15. #40
    Member
    Registered: Mar 1999
    Location: Michigan--gotta live somewhere
    Not surprisingly, Muzzie for the win.

  16. #41
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2007
    Location: Alberta, Canada
    Sorry Sulpher I didn't see your post.

    Your website also doesn't show the budget for each movie.

    and I did just say That I had it wrong, I only had the US figures and not the international ones.
    If you look at the cost for each movie and the domestic gross income from each one, they're not very stellar.

    but as I just said, I had it wrong. Didn't know the international figures.

    Even with that information though, its not much of an investment for fox. Look at the figures for the transformers movies. Just the first one itself nearly matches all 6 alien movies after only 4 years compared to 30.

    My point stands. It might be better for the movie itself NOT to relate it to the alien franchise even if it is a direct prequel, if you're hoping not to alienate the non-alien fans that would otherwise enjoy a sci-fi thriller or a ridley scott movie for its own merits.

  17. #42
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2007
    Location: Finland
    You're simplifying the statistics in gross way to make your point. The Alien franchise has been stellar and has spanned everything from toys, books to video games. You also have to take in consideration the fact that the primary audience is (about) 16+.

    Comparing this to Transformers, which is a way older series of toys and has way better cult status amongst several generations, is simply stupid.

    I can't be arsed to search for the quote now, but in a recent interview Riddley Scott said he doesn't want xenomorphs in his film because it's been franchised and domesticated. He had some funny stuff about Disney using xenomorphs somewhere. That to me is a good reason for maintaining distance to the franchise, because he doesn't have to adhere to the rules and expectations of Alien universe and can actually make a good film.

  18. #43
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Europops
    VA, you're still operating under this utterly ridiculous assumption that just because a film is successful it will spawn an infinite number of sequels as long as they keep making money. If a story arc is complete why continue?
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

  19. #44
    @VA - You can't say in the same post that "I had it wrong" and "My point stands." I mean, you can, but that's just dumb.

    Here's the budgets for each movie, just to further prove the already obvious point:

    Alien - 11 million
    Aliens - 18.5 million
    Alien 3 - 50 million
    Alien Res - 70 million
    AvP - 60 million

    Totaling a whopping 209.5 million. Yeah, that the cost to make all 5 movies combined.

    Just because they're not Titanic or even Transformers doesn't make them a flop. The fact that there were 4 movies made after the original should tell you all you need to know.

  20. #45
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2007
    Location: Alberta, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    VA, you're still operating under this utterly ridiculous assumption that just because a film is successful it will spawn an infinite number of sequels as long as they keep making money. If a story arc is complete why continue?
    I never said this. You're assuming I assume this.

    I know there wont be xenomorphs in the movie. But that doesn't mean it isn't part of the alien continuum.

    In any case, I'm making conjecture just like everybody else in this thread. It flatters me that everybody is so concerned about my opinions.

    Have a merry christmas everyone, I'm gone for a few days. Regardless of the outcome of this thread, the movie will be great.

  21. #46
    Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: 4 doors down, bad side of town
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    It flatters me that everybody is so concerned about my opinions.
    BECAUSE YOUR OPINION IS WRONG

  22. #47
    The Alchemist
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    BECAUSE YOUR OPINION IS WRONG
    .

  23. #48
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Europops
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post

    In any case, I'm making conjecture just like everybody else in this thread. It flatters me that everybody is so concerned about my opinions.
    Level of response related to degree of ridiculousness of original comment shock horror.

    Merry xmas, gasbag.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

  24. #49
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2010
    Edit:

    Nevermind...

    Didn't know what "space-jockey" was shorthand for...

    Nevermind...
    Last edited by nbohr1more; 25th Dec 2011 at 16:29.

  25. #50
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Location: Canuckistan GWN
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    all i know about prometheus is that he was probably cast into the bowels of the earth and pecked by birds
    Close but no fennel stalk - he was attached to the Caucasus mountains with adamantine chains and had his liver eaten by a vulture all day, only to have it regrown during the night, ready for another day as an all you can eat buffet.

    Sort of a metaphor for the endless spawning of sequels and prequels.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •