TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

Should become a common punishment again for stealing the fire of the original film.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    Close but no fennel stalk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCykpfNimBI

Hopefully whatever embargo that's preventing people from posting in the forum has been lifted...

Prometheus - Official Full HD Trailer

Still Subjective
    So Prometheus is the ship AI? This just reminded me how long I have to wait

The trailer reveals quite a lot more info without telling us much about the why or how. Given the recent spoilertastic nature of many trailers I was much relieved, but then Scott would have been in charge for this, no?
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

oooh, music.

I'm glad that this trailer is a bit less blatantly "Remember Alien?" I enjoyed the in-joke nature of the teaser when it came out, but I also want this film to stand up on its own rather than just as an elaborate nudge and wink.

Still Subjective
    So I re-watched this at home on the bigger screen in HD and I think that there is actually a lot, perhaps too much, given away in the trailer.

So here are my thoughts:

Prometheus crew arrive on LV-426 researching some runes/symbols that directed them there somehow.

They find some alien stuff, a ship, a "temple", and some gestational gubbins that is in some proto-form.

The stuff "infects" one of the crew, essentially turns him into a xenomorph, and thus the guardian of this stuff (probably a space jockey) "realises" that humans DO suit it after all. The rune seeding across civilizations on Earth was on purpose so we'd eventually find it and pursue the mystery. The space jockeys have done this all over the galaxy/universe - it's their plan to get other lifeforms to come and "test" the gestational technology, probably for the purposes of breeding xenomorphs for some eons long war/project/pet development program.

The space jockey (one of the guardians) decides "right! off to earth to make lots of xenomorphs".

Everyone realises what is happening and freaks out. The alien ship takes off on the way to earth. But somehow, by design or accident, one of the facehuggers (now evolved/changed to do their thing) has infected the space jockey and on the "birth" of the xenomorph (coincidentally at time of take-off) cause him to crash.

The End.

The rest is history.

If I'm right I want a motherf**king sandwich.

The Alchemist
    Yeah, thats what i got from it too. I want in on said sandwich.

The video description drops some background info about Earth being divided by two warring superpowers. This reminds me of an early draft of Aliens 3 that had the U.S. fighting the Eastern Bloc to secure xenomorphs and their biological advantages for use against the other side.

If these impressions pan out (and they're vaguely mine as well) it really seems like Ridley giving the decisive finger to xenomorphs as Space Termites 25, years later. Which is interesting.
    I just hope it's not as predictable as it seems. I mean, it could still be good. I just don't want to have figured it out.

Still Subjective
    UK trailer, which is naturally less ACTION, adds more weight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jRa...e_gdata_player
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    I want in on said sandwich.
    The only sandwich around here is Duck's and that's a meat you don't want any part of.

[ ] meh
    [x] mesohorny

El Shagmeister

I want a piece of that!*

The movie, you fucking pervs.....pass the mayo.

It's hard to say Prometheus and not sound like you have a lisp.

That's nice.

Small detail, and totally irrelevant, but in the scene on what I assume is the space jockey platform (roughly at 1:48 in the US trailer), I get a "Ghost of a Flea" vibe from the figure walking towards the chair: its shape, profile and stance.

Looks good! Definitely going to check it out!

Parts of the music is definitely reminiscent of the old Alien Trailer.

Still Subjective
    One thing that has stuck me, again, after reading about this on other forums is how spoilerific the US trailer is.

What is up with that? US trailers are practically "the film in 3 minutes". Just compare the UK trailer which has hardly any big spoilers (if any).

Do people in the US need to know what they are getting into before they commit to going to the theatre? Is this because they need to show how awesome a film is in order to get good domestic ticket sales?

I don't get it.

SubfEff, that's precisely why I avoid watching most trailers; if I already know what the movie is all about what's the point of going seeing it?

The problem is that it is assumed, and it's a pretty fair assumption, that the average movie-goer in the US is a blithering idiot who will not go see a movie unless you tell him (and it's always him, women in the audience are ignored unless it's a "chick flick") exactly how many explosions, sex scenes, and alien wingwongs there will be.

It's really hard to tell who's to blame for this stereotype: Hollywood for perpetuating it, or the public for living up to it?

What dethy said. Americans are too stupid to process unconventional storytelling and therefore have to be told everything ahead of time, so as not to be totally confused by any twists or subtleties once in the theater. It's the same reason we download music and feel totally satisfied with Cliff's notes of great literary classics.

The inbreeding is out of control. China, please invade as soon as possible.

ZylonBane
    I highly doubt Prometheus will have any unconventional storytelling.

Contrariwise, Memento seemed to do pretty well over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Do people in the US need to know what they are getting into before they commit to going to the theatre? Is this because they need to show how awesome a film is in order to get good domestic ticket sales?
    Yeah I hate that too. Even the loop of images on the menus of DVDs often does the same thing. Thanks for sharing all the main plot points, fkrs.

Here's a program from the CBC, Under The Influence, that tackles precisely this matter.

If you enjoy that there's also a previous incarnation of essays on advertising by the same guy, Terry O'Reilly, called The Age Of Persuasion.

Fascinating stuff.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Contrariwise, Memento seemed to do pretty well over here.
    A backwards film for backwards people*

* Not really, you guys are great, but I had to make the joke as it was there for the taking