TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Recommend me some anime

Recommend me some anime

Man, so I was thinking. It has been literally years since I watched a decent anime. What's come out recently that's worth seeing? I'm a big fan of Satoshi Kon, Macross (particularly Macross Plus) and the Evangelion series, Shirow (when he's not just in full-on crotch examination mode) but apart from that I haven't seen all that much. Anyone recommend anything? Also, if it's not a bit of a contradiction, anyone recommend anything that isn't retarded? I've heard things about gurren lagann, but the ridiculous fan-service boobiness of the character design looks way too much for me. It was just about deal-able in Evangelion.

Taking a break
    Wow, if only there was a thread on TTLG about this

Specifically, if only some other TTLG member few months ago made a thread asking exactly the same question and got a bunch of answers from

Wouldn't that be some crazy shit

what, the very existence of a thread SEVERAL MONTHS later is too much for your rubbish little snarky head-sack to contain? This place is getting way too thinned out anyway for someone to start pre-emptively trying to shut down threads because LOL SOMEONE ASKED THAT A YEAR AGO!!!!!! Especially coming from the local dick.

Imagine you're in a pub, with your friends. I know you don't have any friends, but you know - hypothetically. Someone says, 'hey! so, you seen any good movies recently? I could really go for a good movie right now'. Do you reply 'Hah, OLD HAT!!!! someone asked me that three weeks ago!!!!'. Because, if so, you have what is known as a repellent personality.
    Last edited by Vivian; 24th Jun 2012 at 14:07.

he's right though

edit: in before edit

IS THIS A MESSAGE BOARD OR IS IT WIKIPEDIA

Taking a break
    It's a message board

By nature all previous threads and posts are archived and can be read at any time by anyone

Your pub analogy is nonsensical

Hah, no it isn't. It's entirely pertinent. I am trying to start a conversation as much as just get information. So, tell me about yourself Koki, seeing as a conversation about anime obviously reduces you to your standardised three-line reply, like some kind of broken poetry bot. Who are you? Why do you post nothing but snark? Are you a sarcastic ghost?

Koki despises anything that brings happiness into the world.

I don't have a problem with starting a topic that was done a few months ago, but with anime recommendations... I mean I don't think I have any thing to add to what I mentioned in that thread. I can't think of any anime that have come out since that thread that I've seen. I may be going back to Tokyo in a few months though ... If so, I'm sure I'd have some then.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, Viv ol' boy, skim that old thread anyways. I've got other recommendations but for now get your Miyazaki and Bebop on.

If you really want non-retarded: Grave of the Fireflies

The Alchemist
    Seriously? And I'm the only one who wants to kill the fucker?

Remind me who the fucker is again...

He probably means Miyazaki, since he has no soul.

Yeah, nothing I can't add that wasn't in that thread. My tops are Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, FLCL, and (most of all) Paranoia Agent. If you hate postmodernism do not watch the latter, though.

I know I should just read the old thread, it's just that's the second time in a row I've been massively irked by Koki. I am still kinda interested in what exactly his problem is though. It's like those people who self-identify as 'sarcastic' and think everyone secretly loves them for their caustic wit, but really they're just annoying. Like an unfunny Dethtoll, basically.

Yup, Paranoia Agent is pretty much my favourite.

Really recent shows:

The Deadman Wonderland dub is available now. They're showing it on Adult Swim on Saturdays. It's awfully grim, one of those shows where the situation starts out bad and then gets worse. Frequently. Some nicely done action scenes there. Not for the squeamish.

Moretsu Pirates (aka Bodacious Space Pirates) is a completely upbeat show, safe for kids, and reasonably well written. It's about...wait for it...space pirates! Actually, privateers would be a more accurate description. Privateers who mainly do dinner theater.

Similarly, Space Brothers is another kid-friendly show. It's basically a love-letter to modern international space exploration in the form of anime, sort of a Japanese version of The Right Stuff.