TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Doors Turning Transparent?

Doors Turning Transparent?

I have some custom doors, using the Shape/Model Shape to replace the original doors with custom ones. For some reason, as soon as I frob one, it turns transparent. Here's a screenie:

What's even more irritating, it's not consistent. During one editing session, they'll be normal. Next day...BAM!...they're transparent again. Probably picked up the Yandros virus somewhere.

Try creating a child archetype of the original door, but specifying the new model. Does a concrete door made from that have the same issue? What is Renderer > Transparency set to on the original archetype? Any tga textures?

Straight-up .gif textures and the alpha is '0.'

Not sure why frobbing them would make them transparent but just to double check, do you have transparent distant art enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    do you have transparent distant art enabled?
    I was about to ask the same thing. This made the doors become transparent during the transitions (open->close and vice versa) in A Sorrowful Farewell.

I had this exact same problem many years ago in an unreleased mission. I never figured it out exactly, but I too was using a door that I had custom made. Is there some extra step when making the model that needs to happen for doors perhaps? I'm no expert model maker, so not sure about things like joints.

That's why I asked Ricebug to
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Try creating a child archetype of the original door, but specifying the new model. Does a concrete door made from that have the same issue?
    I thought that might narrow down whether or not the model is at fault, the archetype, or the concrete object. Another thing to try is use a different model for door's shape. Also delete the concrete door and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    Not sure why frobbing them would make them transparent but just to double check, do you have transparent distant art enabled?
    The distant art has an alpha value of .30. But like I said, it comes and goes. One day, the doors look fine; the next day, they're transparent. Dromed is a fickle bitch, she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    The distant art has an alpha value of .30.
    This probably the reason. I bet your torches are half-transparent too at times.
    And your mechanist clocks.
    And many other things that you haven't noticed yet.

All of the sky settings were copied from one of Thief 2's original missions. I forget which one. But, going through the mission, I don't see any other anomalies.