TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: OUYA

OUYA

This sounds interesting, kick-starter project for a low cost Android based games console which you can root and hack around with to your heart's content.

Kickstarter Page

Currently, 4.4million dollars pledged against a target of 950K, 34,000 backers and you can get one if you pledge $99.

I like this idea and it reminds me of the Raspberry Pi project in some ways. Just hope it has as much success.

The most interesting thing to me is the fact that all 400 developer pledges have been grabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    The most interesting thing to me is the fact that all 400 developer pledges have been grabbed.
    Probably not all developers, it ensured that whoever paid for it gets the first early December batch of the console.

I backed this project though, will probably develop something simple for it too, I like what it's trying to do.

I like making little games & programs for myself on the PC all the time, and it's one of the things I miss being able to do on my iStuff, I've been so acculturated to DIY.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    Android based games console
    Play all your shitty $5 cellphone games...

on this console in horribly pixelated resolution on your 40" plasma!

Sounds like a good deal to me

Didn't read very far then?

Although it will run android cellphone games, that's not the point of the device.

Taking a break
    I don't know anyone else who given the choice would pick Android as the OS to make the videogames for.

Me neither, but then I'm not a big fan of Java.

As Minecraft has shown though, things created in Java don't have to be rubbish.

I don't see the point really. If this were a handheld console, I would be really into it, but as it stands I have machines that are far more powerful already sitting here and I don't need more hardware just sitting around. Also, a big part of gaming for me is modifying games and even if a console is open, the games still aren't as easily moddable as a computer game due to so many factors like a keyboard and raw horsepower to compile levels on an actual computer.

If you're interested in the Raspberry Pi, you should check out the MK802. It is a bit more expensive, but a hell-of-a-lot more powerful and includes a case. Think: thumb drive with a 1.5 GHz CPU and up to a gig of RAM. Again though, it isn't really that small when you have to hook it to a TV for it to be of any use. Somebody should shove one of these into a device the size of a Nintendo handheld, integrating a color screen and keyboard.

Unboxing/demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akp2hYE1dZ0
    Last edited by lost_soul; 13th Jul 2012 at 11:43.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    Me neither, but then I'm not a big fan of Java.
    But then... why not some Unix derivative?

Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    If you're interested in the Raspberry Pi, you should check out the MK802 buy one because they're $25 .
    Fixed.

Because neckbeards

(who knows, ask them)

I think the whole point is that its all open source, and developers will have an easier time developing for it. With the huge popularity of indie platformers lately, it makes a lot of sense. People will buy this if it comes out. Wiis are still selling, and this looks more powerful than that.

It's also more powerful than most android cell phones. A tegra3 quad core is nothing to balk at. Neither is a gig of ram when you're not busy running a heavy OS on it. There's only 1 phone out there right now that has more than 1 gb of ram in it and thats the Galaxy S3 AFAIK. And anything with more than 400mb of ram in an android runs everything very smoothly in my experience. These are the things that keep cost down and make it viable.

Also.. Android is a Unix derivative.

These kinds of things are cool, but...

Quote Originally Posted by OUYA
    Deep down, you know your best gaming memories happened in the living room.
    Actually no. Most assuredly not.

Anyway, blanket F2P is interesting. Might be off putting for some though. Devs and players. I guess a demo/shareware v paid full version fits into the rubric they have there though.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    I don't see the point really. If this were a handheld console, I would be really into it
    You mean like the Xperia Play? I have an Xperia Play as my primary phone, and it's fairly good for what I want it for. There are a few games that support it fairly well (but pretty crappy support from Sony directly), as well as the whole Emulator angle. I'm hoping that the Ouya release results in some cross-pollination for more games getting Xperia Play support too.

As for the Ouya itself, I'm not entirely sure. I already have a fairly capable PC connected to my TV that does just about everything I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Android runs on an almost standard linux kernel and the NDK allows native C/C++ code to be compiled and executed. You don't have to use Java, although there is barely any reason not to.