TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: iPhone photo corruption

iPhone photo corruption

I have this strange issue where a large proportion of the photos that I import from my iPhone to my main computer using the photo transfer wizard in Windows 7 become corrupt on transfer to my hard drive. The typical corruption being that half of the picture is replaced by gray, which makes it appear as if only half of the picture was transferred correctly.

I have tested this on one of my laptops with the same iPhone and the pictures copy across perfectly. I can also go via explorer into my iPhone and copy the pictures manually (i.e. copy and paste) and the pictures generally copy across without issue but sometimes it takes several attempts to get perfect copies.

This issue only started a couple of months ago. I replaced both hard drives yesterday but the issue persists. I'm out of ideas and haven't been able to find any information on the web.

Administrator
    Just a guess, but have you tried disabling your virus scanner while transferring the photos? There have been Windows exploits with various picture formats and it could be that an overzealous scanner is slowing down and corrupting the transfer.

I took 5 photos today and synchronized these after disabling my antivirus and they copied across without any corruption. It's too early to say if that is the cause as the pictures variably copy across without issue when my AV is active. I'll monitor this for the next week to see if that is indeed the culprit.

It's just the side effect of the magentic field messing up your wire transfer. The magentic field, of course, generated by Steve job's body increasingly spinning in his grave every time you transfer iPhone photos to a windows machine.

Just use a mac instead and you'll be fine!

too soon?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    i was making cracks about jobs before he was even dead

For the past week I have been turning off my AV program every time I connect my iPhone and the issue has been reduce to only one incident this week out of roughly 15 successful transfers, compared to the much higher percentage of bad transfers before that. While those stats make it look as though the AV is the culprit, the fact that it hasn't been completely eliminated combined with the presence of the same version of AV on the other computer I tested it on (no issues found) makes me suspect that it is something else. I'll keep with the process for now but am scratching my head trying to think of what it might be.

Are there any logs that I can check to see if it is some other software clash or hardware issue?

Administrator
    There's always the Event Viewer (run eventvwr from a command line or the start menu) and check system and / or application logs under Windows Logs. Again, just a wild stab in the dark, but it could be that there is a marginal timing issue and that the anti-virus software was just enough to push it over the edge but isn't the root cause of problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally found the culprit - a faulty memory stick!

I discovered this when my computer failed to post and a diagnostic code displayed on an LED panel on my motherboard suggested a memory issue. After testing both 2GB sticks separately I found the faulty one and my PC was able to boot again. On a separate note, I replaced both ram sticks with an 8GB dual channel DDR3 and am amazed at how much the prices have gone down for memory.

I haven't had a single instance of image corruption since replacing the RAM so am pretty sure that I have fixed it.

Administrator
    Excellent - glad you tracked down the culprit, particularly as faulty memory can corrupt other things without you knowing about it until it's too late. Upgrading my main machine with a decent amount of memory now that 64 bit operating systems can take advantage of it is one of the best things I did recently so hopefully you'll also see a beneficial speed increase.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    It really is a shocker how cheap RAM is. Penny Arcade was making jokes about throwing away RAM they found in a cereal box as early as 2001.

DDR3 was fairly expensive for a while; good quality modules in particular. I am considering changing breakfast cereals now though based on this timely info for even better opportunities.