TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217222732 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

But in the end, it was worth every Fish, F*** and Fan(In swedish thats not a nice word)
    Bow for my hamster, your supreme lord and master!!

But in the end, it was worth every Fish, F*** and Fan(In swedish thats not a nice word)
    Bow for my hamster, your supreme lord and master!!

Originally posted by SweetVampire
    [...]
    *I needed those two weeks to get the game running!*
    Only I used some baaaad F-Words
    Uhu, I note: "F-Words helped get SS1 running..."
    This should be added to the FAQ, don't you think?

Kolya

Originally posted by SweetVampire
    [...]
    *I needed those two weeks to get the game running!*
    Only I used some baaaad F-Words

Kolya

Originally posted by Kolya

Kolya
    Suuuure....but that'd corrupt the pure and innocent souls of all the newbies arround here....

And I prefer my blood all clean......mhhh fresh bl...tralala... no flaming.

I got my SS1 running pretty fast, the XP-Patch worked fine...and after I fought with that VDM *?* Sound-thingie for a while it was running without any crashes.
    Ok, there were a few heavy bugs with my controls.....but that's it I guess.

It was running quite well, although I finished it on my old PC *300MHZ, Win98* because the controls-bug made it hard to play....
    Punch me and kick me and run away
    You know who you are so,
    Now look at me what do you have to say?
    Go then! Whatever's wrong with your head.
    Korn - Souvenir

Originally posted by Kolya

Kolya
    Suuuure....but that'd corrupt the pure and innocent souls of all the newbies arround here....

And I prefer my blood all clean......mhhh fresh bl...tralala... no flaming.

I got my SS1 running pretty fast, the XP-Patch worked fine...and after I fought with that VDM *?* Sound-thingie for a while it was running without any crashes.
    Ok, there were a few heavy bugs with my controls.....but that's it I guess.

It was running quite well, although I finished it on my old PC *300MHZ, Win98* because the controls-bug made it hard to play....
    Punch me and kick me and run away
    You know who you are so,
    Now look at me what do you have to say?
    Go then! Whatever's wrong with your head.
    Korn - Souvenir

Scythifuge

How I got SS1 running on XP

Greetings...

First, here are my system specs: (the relevant to this situation specs)

Abit AT7-MAX2 Mobo
    AthlonXP 2600+
    512mb Kingston HyperX
    ATI AIW Radeon 8500 128mb
    Audigy 2 Platinum sound card
    Windows XP Professional
    latest updates/drivers for everything

I tried everything from the FAQ and various other forums, and this is what happened: Game starts with slow/stuttering sound and music, mouse cursor stayed around the lower left side of my screen-forcing me to use the keyboard to start a new game, then it crashed...after some tweaking, I could get into the game, but it ran like ass. So...

I decided against using any of the programs (VDMS, nolfb.com, mouse2kv), except I stuck with Dos/4GW 1.97_2. I right clicked on cdshock.exe, and selected properties then memory, selected protected mode and a value of 4096 for initial environment under Conventional memory. I then selected values of 16384 for both expanded and extended memory, and checked the HMA box. Under the Compatability tab, I chose Windows 95 (though at this time, I am unsure if this makes a difference or not). In the setup for the game, I chose General Midi for music, and the original Sound Blaster for sound, as apparently, these choices are compatable with my Audigy2 in Windows (I am also using the latest drivers for my Audigy2). I sent a shortcut to the desktop, and lo! The game runs with excellent sound, and I was able to start a new game with a perfectly working mouse, and with 640x480 resolution in-game (now, I just have to get used to the funky control scheme again, its been years since I have last played this wonderful game).

I have to use VDMS with many other games, and I have yet to run into an issue with any game that requires noflb.com (though I haven't tried Duke Nukem 3d yet). I have yet to require the use of the mouse2kv program. So far, the games that I can't get to work in XP (though I am working on them) are: Wing Commander Armada, Privateer 1 (privateer 2 works, but is buggy), Strike Commander (they use jemm, which is incompatable with anything other than pure DOS-thus far), and CyberJudas. But all I needed for SS1 was DOS/4GW. Cheers!

Scythifuge
    Last edited by Scythifuge; 2nd Jan 2004 at 16:40.

Scythifuge

How I got SS1 running on XP

Greetings...

First, here are my system specs: (the relevant to this situation specs)

Abit AT7-MAX2 Mobo
    AthlonXP 2600+
    512mb Kingston HyperX
    ATI AIW Radeon 8500 128mb
    Audigy 2 Platinum sound card
    Windows XP Professional
    latest updates/drivers for everything

I tried everything from the FAQ and various other forums, and this is what happened: Game starts with slow/stuttering sound and music, mouse cursor stayed around the lower left side of my screen-forcing me to use the keyboard to start a new game, then it crashed...after some tweaking, I could get into the game, but it ran like ass. So...

I decided against using any of the programs (VDMS, nolfb.com, mouse2kv), except I stuck with Dos/4GW 1.97_2. I right clicked on cdshock.exe, and selected properties then memory, selected protected mode and a value of 4096 for initial environment under Conventional memory. I then selected values of 16384 for both expanded and extended memory, and checked the HMA box. Under the Compatability tab, I chose Windows 95 (though at this time, I am unsure if this makes a difference or not). In the setup for the game, I chose General Midi for music, and the original Sound Blaster for sound, as apparently, these choices are compatable with my Audigy2 in Windows (I am also using the latest drivers for my Audigy2). I sent a shortcut to the desktop, and lo! The game runs with excellent sound, and I was able to start a new game with a perfectly working mouse, and with 640x480 resolution in-game (now, I just have to get used to the funky control scheme again, its been years since I have last played this wonderful game).

I have to use VDMS with many other games, and I have yet to run into an issue with any game that requires noflb.com (though I haven't tried Duke Nukem 3d yet). I have yet to require the use of the mouse2kv program. So far, the games that I can't get to work in XP (though I am working on them) are: Wing Commander Armada, Privateer 1 (privateer 2 works, but is buggy), Strike Commander (they use jemm, which is incompatable with anything other than pure DOS-thus far), and CyberJudas. But all I needed for SS1 was DOS/4GW. Cheers!

Scythifuge

Hope someone can help me..this should be a relatively easy problem compared to the "i can't get SS1 to run on XP!" stuff...

I have got SS1 to run with full sound and music with only the modified cdshock.exe file for Win XP..however..the problem now is that i can only play at 320x400..at 640x480..there are black lines tearing horizontally across my screen and my mouse crawls along at a super slow rate..evidently something with the memory or shit like that...

Win XP Pro with SP1
    P3 1.13 GHz
    640MB SDRAM
    GeForce 2 Go 32 MB DDR
    14.1" SVGA TFT

Could be my monitor..i may try running in pure VGA mode...

Any solutions before that?

Edit: I noticed this problem is quite common..yet it hasn't been resolved... Additionally..pure VGA does not help at all and instead corrupts the cdshock.exe file for some reason..have had to re-install SS1...

Edit 2: Ok screw this! Now i'm getting the spastic memory fries thingy..shall just resort to playing this on my Win 95 system...
    Last edited by moocow; 20th Feb 2004 at 03:10.

Hope someone can help me..this should be a relatively easy problem compared to the "i can't get SS1 to run on XP!" stuff...

I have got SS1 to run with full sound and music with only the modified cdshock.exe file for Win XP..however..the problem now is that i can only play at 320x400..at 640x480..there are black lines tearing horizontally across my screen and my mouse crawls along at a super slow rate..evidently something with the memory or shit like that...

Win XP Pro with SP1
    P3 1.13 GHz
    640MB SDRAM
    GeForce 2 Go 32 MB DDR
    14.1" SVGA TFT

Could be my monitor..i may try running in pure VGA mode...

Any solutions before that?

Edit: I noticed this problem is quite common..yet it hasn't been resolved... Additionally..pure VGA does not help at all and instead corrupts the cdshock.exe file for some reason..have had to re-install SS1...

Edit 2: Ok screw this! Now i'm getting the spastic memory fries thingy..shall just resort to playing this on my Win 95 system...

Try DOSBox .

DosBox is a dos emulator and can be used to play all those old dos games. I tried it with Day Of The Tentacle, Dark Forces, Full Throttle, Lands Of Lore, System Shock 1 and all games are perfectly working. Is supports over 1500 games.

Nothing to configure, and it ran from the first try !

It emulates everything, including AdLib music + SB Pro digitized sounds !

_tyrell_

Speccyal

Try DOSBox .

DosBox is a dos emulator and can be used to play all those old dos games. I tried it with Day Of The Tentacle, Dark Forces, Full Throttle, Lands Of Lore, System Shock 1 and all games are perfectly working. Is supports over 1500 games.

Nothing to configure, and it ran from the first try !

It emulates everything, including AdLib music + SB Pro digitized sounds !

_tyrell_

Speccyal

Goggleboy
    Tried DosBox. Ran at snail pace on my 4 year old PIII 500 system. Damn.

I ran a google search for the mouse2kv.exe file since I couldn't find it on Xenvious's link, and I came across a System Shock 1 Windows XP pack, which includes all the necessary files as well as a somewhat preconfigured batch file and a built in VDM sound shortcut (both of which need some tweaking). It was on this site listed as the most popular:
    http://www.polycat.net/ElementalArts...op=MostPopular
    If it doesn't appear on top anymore then a search ought to lead you to it.

Edit: Problems solved (mostly).
    Last edited by Goggleboy; 27th Feb 2004 at 15:35.

Goggleboy
    Tried DosBox. Ran at snail pace on my 4 year old PIII 500 system. Damn.

I ran a google search for the mouse2kv.exe file since I couldn't find it on Xenvious's link, and I came across a System Shock 1 Windows XP pack, which includes all the necessary files as well as a somewhat preconfigured batch file and a built in VDM sound shortcut (both of which need some tweaking). It was on this site listed as the most popular:
    http://www.polycat.net/ElementalArts...op=MostPopular
    If it doesn't appear on top anymore then a search ought to lead you to it.

Edit: Problems solved (mostly).

When trying to use "Run with VDM" on the Cdshock.bat I get the following error message:

The VDMSound core program dosdrv.exe could not be found.
    Please verify that VDMSound is properly installed, or that the VDMSPath environment variable points to the VDMSound Directory. Do you want to continue? [Yes/No]

I've checked the directory and dosdrv.exe is there, so how do I fix this?

When trying to use "Run with VDM" on the Cdshock.bat I get the following error message:

The VDMSound core program dosdrv.exe could not be found.
    Please verify that VDMSound is properly installed, or that the VDMSPath environment variable points to the VDMSound Directory. Do you want to continue? [Yes/No]

I've checked the directory and dosdrv.exe is there, so how do I fix this?

Hello everyone at TTLG! Here's my little problem with SS1, heh

For some reason, when I get into game the music is really quiet, while sound effects are BOOMING! Hitting with a pipe almost shatters the windows. What could cause that?

system specs:

Abit KG7 motherboard
    Athlon 1.4 Ghz thunderbird (those old models, feh)
    Connect 3D Radeon 9600 Pro 128
    SB Live! Value
    512 Kingston DDR
    Logitech optical mouse
    Win XP professional

(edit: Got cursor speed fixed, and finally got CDshock.bat working vdmsound as well without the 3007 memory error. But sounds are still really bad, with music being so hissy and sound effects over the top. Any suggestions? And yes, I've tried the sound sliders from options. Doesn't help ...maybe I should just try it again when I get new motherboard with that ac97 chip)

(edit 2: removed needless text about earlier problem, and some typo fixing)
    (edit 3: It seems like VGA resolution somehow corrupts the art files and makes restarting without reinstall impossible later. Anyone found a fix to this?)
    Last edited by Firkora; 1st Apr 2004 at 16:58.

Hello everyone at TTLG! Here's my little problem with SS1, heh

For some reason, when I get into game the music is really quiet, while sound effects are BOOMING! Hitting with a pipe almost shatters the windows. What could cause that?

system specs:

Abit KG7 motherboard
    Athlon 1.4 Ghz thunderbird (those old models, feh)
    Connect 3D Radeon 9600 Pro 128
    SB Live! Value
    512 Kingston DDR
    Logitech optical mouse
    Win XP professional

(edit: Got cursor speed fixed, and finally got CDshock.bat working vdmsound as well without the 3007 memory error. But sounds are still really bad, with music being so hissy and sound effects over the top. Any suggestions? And yes, I've tried the sound sliders from options. Doesn't help ...maybe I should just try it again when I get new motherboard with that ac97 chip)

(edit 2: removed needless text about earlier problem, and some typo fixing)
    (edit 3: It seems like VGA resolution somehow corrupts the art files and makes restarting without reinstall impossible later. Anyone found a fix to this?)

I had the same problem with the music. I never did figure out how to fix it, when it fixed itself I just kinda went then . I went about my daily business, and them BAM! Hello problem! I hit the brakes and I was able to figure out what was going on. It sounds like we might have the same problem, so here's the fix I used:

Open volume control, either from the taskbar, or from the Start menu, check under Accessories, then Entertainment, and look for Volume Control. Either way, once you get into the volume control, check the different volumes. If you spy "SW Synth", which is what controls MIDI music on my computer, crank the sound down. Odds are it's maxed out. If that doesn't work, try turning down all the other volumes, and see if any of these remove the hissing. If it doesn't, well, sorry for getting your hopes up. Good luck!
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

I had the same problem with the music. I never did figure out how to fix it, when it fixed itself I just kinda went then . I went about my daily business, and them BAM! Hello problem! I hit the brakes and I was able to figure out what was going on. It sounds like we might have the same problem, so here's the fix I used:

Open volume control, either from the taskbar, or from the Start menu, check under Accessories, then Entertainment, and look for Volume Control. Either way, once you get into the volume control, check the different volumes. If you spy "SW Synth", which is what controls MIDI music on my computer, crank the sound down. Odds are it's maxed out. If that doesn't work, try turning down all the other volumes, and see if any of these remove the hissing. If it doesn't, well, sorry for getting your hopes up. Good luck!
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

I Don't realy know if it's a XP problem, but i guess. When i try to save the game it closes without any message, and it doesen't save the game, how to fix that?

I Don't realy know if it's a XP problem, but i guess. When i try to save the game it closes without any message, and it doesen't save the game, how to fix that?

Well, now everything works fine for me...

Well, now everything works fine for me...

Just use the program "Sound FX" to fix all DOS music problems if it just doesn't run at full speed in DOS. Works nicely and more robustly than VDM Sound. (although since its not perfect, you'll need a small adjustment to get itto work permanantely. Send me an email and I'll send you the files...