TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Fortress By The Sea (Version 2.0, 12 Oct. 2005)

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    spoiler:
    the lot ring is in the toilet, look at the grate on the floor. the ring and the note about the rats are supposed to serve as a clue to check inside the toilets, and lead you to the keep the easy way. the lost drill bit is next to a tool box in the water in the pump room in the basements, its the room with the extenable bridge. the sword in the captains chambers is also loot, but you have to find the switch to open up the door and grab it. i have a complete loot list on my webpage http://www.geocities.com/ottoj55/fortloot.html

thanks for downloading the mission, hoped you enjoyed it

otto

Hey, Old Man, instead of starting a discussable thread about this fan mission, you just ask for hints! You should have named your thread something like 'need help with...' Your title was very misleading.
    So people: let's discuss this mission!!!

Inertnamehere,

Sorry, I've renamed the thread. Although from my recollection a discussion thread introducing a new FM usually gets lots of hints too so I just don't read anything on an FM until I've played it. Oh, and I've spoiler tagged the hints too. I just didn't like to see "New FM" or anything else in the subject that dated it. Yes, it's new today but in six months when someone else plays it and posts it's not "new" anymore. So, I just left that out of the subject.

Thanks Ottoj55. For the hints as well as Fortress by the Sea itself. And yes I did enjoy it very much. I'm trying to get myself tooled up for Thief III by playing all new FMs in Ultimate Mode (first time only, no saves!) and I was totally immersed with this one and not distracted by any funky design issues. You did good! IMHO anyway.
    spoiler:
    I am a little confused about the pockets picked statistic. It says 10 of 11 which I would take as all of them but I got arrows and a key off dead guys after I opened the gate so I should be a couple short?

And you know, I was running around looking for those bits and when I came to the bridge I went half way down the ladder and decided there wasn't anything in the water without really looking. Duh! Sloppy work!
    Last edited by Old Man; 27th Sep 2003 at 15:55.

spoiler:
    Okay, finished. Those were the only two loot items I'd missed. And I should have found the drill bit. Shoddy work on my part. The ring was tough. I'd been down and looked at that grate a few times and not seen the ring. But knowing it was there I could see it even when I had to move in even closer to it to get it to hightlight. And it was the note that got me to look down there for it and notice the shortcut. But I'd already opened the gate by then. Statistics: Ultimate Mode: Success (with an explanation - needed help with the loot); Time: 3:44:00; Loot: 2,114 of 2,114; Pockets 10 of 11; Locks: 19; Damage: Given: 0; Taken: 7; Healing: 6; Bodies Discovered: 6. Comments: Damage taken from fire getting into castle. Just no good sense of self -- thought I was safe. Plus the AI outside the wall wacked me one while I was running and jumping past him back into the lake. I always try lockpicks before keys. Can't recall if I ever actually used any of the keys; I like the option. Bodies discovered not mine (no damage given) so must be from melee after opening the gate. One lantern toting swordsman ended up outside the wall. Dunno if he was placed there or fell off the wall. He had a key. An Armoury Key IIRC. And I slid down onto the spotlights out there to pick his pocket too! Turns out my memory of seeing drill bits was from another FM. Chronicles probably since that's what I was playing next while waiting for help here. I had not seen the drill bit in the water.
    Last edited by Old Man; 28th Sep 2003 at 06:57.

spoiler:
    i'm not sure about the pickpocket totals, i've been told that you get all the picks and it doesn't count right, there are some enemy archers that arrive and getting all those picks before they die can be tough. i'm not sure if the keys carried by ai to let them walk through any door count in the total either since they are carried as generic contents, not on the hip.

It could be the bottle the drunk guard was holding, since if you take it you can't keep it and it jumps back to his hand if you let it go.

shutdown sequence

spoiler:
    Do all the generators have to be shut down in a specific numbered sequence as they are illustrated on the scroll?

I hit 'em all as I found them and nothing has happened so I guess I have to start over right?

yes bobber, the sequence is important. time to go jogging around a bit

spoiler:
    the sequence is critical, if you screw up you have to reset each generator that was pulled out of order and then start back up with the shut down sequence.

It worked!

Yep, I did that. Great mission. One gets to practice being quite stealthy in this one. Thanks!

sneak sneak sneak, sneak sneak sneak, and then some more sneak sneak sneak

Fortress by the sea

Am I missing something?

What are the objectives???

All I get is 5 blank squares?
    FM Flying Pigs 75.456% complete. 2395 objects used. I am standing on the edge of the precipice sh*tting myself.

There's something very wrong. I'd suggest uninstalling it, deleting the mission and the saves and downloading a new copy, just in case there's a problem with the file. If that doesn't fix it, then you'll need some of the "techy" people here to help you out.

objectives are listed in the readme file with the mission, but this sounds like a darkloader problem.

For once a FM without the key-hunt. And this mission also gave me some much needed thrills going up or down the stairs. I loved it. This could easily be my first FM replay. Keep up the good work.
    It's so easy, but I can't do it.
    So risky - but I gotta chance it.
    It's so funny, there's nothing to laugh about

Weirdness

When I tried to blacklack one of the laturn guard, I just passed through him like a ghost. Hmmm...

spoiler:
    I also need help with the 3rd power station.. I know its the basement, so I'm assuming its the locked door near the door to the mini-prision. Is there a key?
    Last edited by Genie; 19th Jan 2004 at 16:06.

the third power station is in the basement area if you found the locked door near the mini prision you are on the wrong side, you have to either wait a very long time for otto to come through the door, or go up to the first floor and back down to the kitchen on the other end of the basements. you can also access the third station by back tracking through the basements from the fifth station under the gatehouse. you go through the flooded pump room and up the stairs to the outside of the kitchen, however you do it, you gotta go the kitchen to get into that part of the basement.

as for passing through a guard, that is new to me, which guard was it, i'll see if he has some weird error on him that i was unaware of.

I reloaded my quicksave and I didn't pass through the guard again. So it was probably an error on my end.

Thanks for the tips!

spoiler:
    Ok, I know Tthe kitchen is accessed thru a 'secret passage' thru the dining room, right? I've searched high and low for that button and I can't find it.

I love the mission!
    Last edited by Genie; 20th Jan 2004 at 21:34.

Looks cool, but why is there a knockout limit in a war zone ?!
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links

Zaccheus' hospital blog

The objective says it all, doesn't it?

"You can't leave these guys defensless [sic], knockout no one"

spoiler:
    its a switch in the fire place, look up

fortress by the sea

I am having trouble
    spoiler:
    climbing into the pipe right at the beginning of the mission

Anyone got any advice on this manouvre

mary

fortress by the sea

To answer my own question.
    spoiler:
    From where you pull yourself up from the sea, Run and jump. Do not go too near the pipe or it will not work.

m

sorry about that, is a bit tough, but it was my first release, its was originally going to be much more interesting looking, but i couldn't work it out and settled on that pipe. have fun in there.

fortress by the sea

Otto,

This mission is really good. Keep on writing them.

M

Fortress by the Sea

I just played this FM and really enjoyed it. It was easy to get lost, but I eventually found my way around.

btw
    spoiler:
    As soon as I opened the door to go on the roof, one of the guards jumped off and landed on the cliff below. Was that supposed to happen?