TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Profane Ascension (July 13th, 2004)

Lootlist & Walkthrough

There is now a lootlist for this FM at Cheap Thief Missions here. Many thanks to epithumia for hosting it

Edit 21st July 2004: A concise walkthrough is also available.
    Last edited by ffox; 21st Jul 2004 at 04:34.

A lootlist? Already? On first day of release?

Quote Originally Posted by Izeman
    Oh yeah sluggs is right
    You better prepare! Keep some nitros available while playing
    Those zombies have more to worry about than I do.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that I was ghosting quietly in the library when suddenly,
    spoiler:
    that dead body hits the skylight with a loud clash.
    It nearly gave me a heart attack as I flailed around helplessly wondering what I knocked over. I didn't even realise what it was untill I
    spoiler:
    accidently looked up.

Completely evil of you, Tomi

TheNightTerror - yes, the Garrett speech in the briefing is by Loanstar indeed. He might be 'retired' now, but I paid one million dollars to him for the work.
    Seriously though... All the voices for the briefing were recorded more than two years ago. There was supposed to be a briefing for Deadly Darkness, but that never happened. If you haven't had a look at the credits yet, guess who's the messenger kid in the briefing!!

Freddy Fox - (ffox) Thanks for the lootlist!

Anyone who would like to put this mission on some website, feel free to do so. Epithumia might be happy about that as well... (by the way, thanks for hosting my mission, Jason!)

Can anyone tell me where the "Gotcha" pranks happen with something appearing and a loud sound? I really don't want to have to go through that, argh, I can stand just undead, but wierd things that mess with your head are too much for me.

You can't avoid them so just take a deep breath and keep going!

Still playing and almost done (on expert), but just had to say that this mission is the ONE AND ONLY mission to ever actually, 100%, no-BS, really, REALLY SCARE ME!!! When

spoiler:
    I opened the door to the the catacombs area and the zombie came at me screaming, it literally sent shivers down my spine, and I actually JUMPED in my chair!!!

Believe it or not, that has never happened to me, and it was COOL beyond belief!!! I've played over 300 FMs, and this is new to me. That is saying ALOT! Tomi, you've created a masterpiece in my humble opinion. I also love the ever-expanding nature of the mission... just when you think you've seen it all, whoops... there's another area to explore!

Almost done, so if there are any other surprises, I'll post them here.

Again, fantastic job on an incredibly fun mission, Tomi!!!!!

Edit: Ok, just finished, and have to add one more thing.
    spoiler:
    The revival of AI on the way out of the academy made the ending much more enjoyable (as apposed to just backtracking to the entrance). Well done!
    Last edited by bassmanret; 16th Jul 2004 at 19:20.

LOVED IT!!! rarely do i actually jump.......well, i jumped!!!

BTW...how the ascension do you get out of this place?

Remember how there were two entrances to the catacombs? One way was through the library I think it was, but the switch was broken. The switch on the other side of the door (your side) isn't broken. If you keep searching, you should come across it. I don't remember finding it before I finished off the lead baddie, although I'm notoriously bad at finding my way. I wish I could be more specific, but I only played it once. (That won't last long, though. ) I seem to remember the way to the stairs which lead up to the library being guarded by a haunt, or at least some kind of baddie, behind a metal door, but my brain's notoriously shoddy these days.
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Thank you very much for an excellent fan mission Tomi , we had alot of fun playing this one .

Archivist
    Just finished the mission and its great
    Really professinal intro movie and like everyone said, the female ghosts (that took a potion of speed if you ask me ) really scared the hell out of me
    Probably there was no bathroom down in the catacombs
    Its also cool to see the other guards fighting the undead. When I walked right in the arms of a group guards, I only had to let them follow me to my fleshie friends outside. I really enjoyed that.
    I do have a question: what do you open when you pull a book in the small room on the first floor? I heared a noise but I'have no idea what opened and where it is.
    And I noticed somes strange things: when I loaded a quick save game at the frontyard, all the zombies were frozen. Only when I walked right past them they came to life again. Is this unavoidable or some sort of bug?
    And I found it a little strange that all the guards were slaughtered while all the hammerites still lived and were patrolling the upper floors. It would be cool to see them helping their friends in need.
    But despite these small things there is nothing to complain. Its a really enjoyable mission, scary like the Fm The Inverted Manse, and a brilliant thief1-2 conversion (just as fun as the previous conversion I played: The Great Tree)
    Well done, Tomi! I hope we can expect more fm's of you in the future.

Thanks everyone for your feedback - this community and all the great people here is the only thing that has kept me DromEditing during all these years... DromEd itself, as we all know, is a major pain in the youknowwhere, but it's more addictive than any drug in this world.

The Phantom -
    spoiler:
    the book switch upstairs in the Library Keeper's room opens a little secret door behind the banner in the same room. There's just a golden goblet behind it (I think) so you didn't miss that much.

And I noticed somes strange things: when I loaded a quick save game at the frontyard, all the zombies were frozen. Only when I walked right past them they came to life again. Is this unavoidable or some sort of bug?
    I believe that's a common bug in Thief 2. At least I couldn't fix it, sorry. That happens when you load your quicksave - all the zombies get up but they're still 'asleep'! If there's some kind of a fix for this, could someone let me know so that I can fix it for possible future FMs?

About the Hammerites and why they're attacking the player and not hostile at the undead... Well, I'm afraid you missed an important part of the story. But don't worry, I'm afraid that many other people were wondering the same! Heh... The whole thing was explained in Dacorault's diary if you ever found it. The Hammerites are not meant to be your friends!

So did anyone actually understand why the Hammerites are there and allied with the 'bad guys'?
    Anyway, thanks for all the comments and feedback, I really appreciate all that. Keep 'em coming!

ps. there is no bathroom in the catacombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    About the Hammerites and why they're attacking the player and not hostile at the undead...
    [snipped]
    Well, hammers not assaulting undead is well and good, but I'da thunk the undead would be rather more indifferent as to whom does and does not pretend to be their allies...

Join us, join us noooow...

I'm gonna play this one tonight. Need a short break from Rowena's Curse!

Catacomb key

I am at the catacomb door but it won't open and cannot be picked.
    Where did I miss the key?

Quote Originally Posted by LeBaron
    I am at the catacomb door but it won't open and cannot be picked.
    Where did I miss the key?
    Uh huh. Did you find Lacatar's message then?
    spoiler:
    The key is right next to it on the table in that secret room!

Tomi

No, I didn't find the note yet. Thought it might be in the catacombs. Looks like I better back track and try to find a secret room somewhere. Thanks for the help.

While thiefmissions.com experiences some downtime, Profane Ascension is available by courtesy of Dennis Nixon:

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=802

I bet all already knew
    But just making sure that there's no panic

Help, I am stuck. Immobilized or destroyed, every living and undead in the game and can not find that Golden Skull. I bet it is right in front of me, but just can't stand searching any longer.
    Playing on 'Scary'.

spoiler:
    I ran headlong into the academy and hid upstairs without damage at the start.

Tomi,
    Most excellent mission. It will be one of my favorites.

Go to the kitchen, it's on the first floor. You'll find a ghost wandering around, when he goes into the hidden passage, follow him. When you get down there, explore a bit. Waiting for the ghosts with the lanterns to light the way for you can't hurt as much as stumbling into the wrong area will. I'm pretty sure the skull was down there.

Tomi- Where do I send the bill for a new pair of longjohns courtesy of
    spoiler:
    the lady who comes through the door to the cathedral???
    Absolutely evil mission.

I LOVED it. Am in as much awe of your level as I am in my computers ability to play it, and boy am I glad. The
    spoiler:
    blue haunts
    will forever be in my nightmares.

Someone seriously needs to make some kind of mod so you can change the regular haunts into blue ones.

No offense to Tomi but i thought the blue Haunts looked silly. They just didn't fit in! Blue Haunts? Whatever next?

Don't tell me... Haunts with shades!