TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 22 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27121718192021222324252627323742475257626772 ... LastLast

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

Irrational Games
    There's a condition in the trggerscript manager that says something like "when I am frobbed by object of type [linkFlavor]"

Anyone know what this does? Could this refer to using an object from the inventory to frob something?

could be, I haven't used that condition yet.

Zombies playing possum

Anyone know how to have a Zombie play possum right from the start? I've experimented with having him start with the property Health/MainHealth/Current = 0.0, and he starts off dead, but he's not playing possum, he's really dead. I've got his PlayingPossumInertSeconds and PlayingPossumReactiveRadius set correctly.

I can't remember if the OMs had zombies of this type.

The Abysmal Gale had a zombie that slept until you stole something, and then they got up, frightened the life out of me that did, especially since I had no holy water (I guess I'm naturally jumpy).

Check that map out, you might find the one you need.

Still Subjective

Garrett and ladders

I've put a ladder static mesh into a map. It's made of a top and 4 long sections.

But Garrett just walks up to it and doesn't get sucked into it. Do I need to set some property first?

Use the ladders in the actor browser rather than static meshes and it should work fine

str8g8

however if you're using just the mesh I think there is a property climber -> bIsLadder, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectX
    The Abysmal Gale had a zombie that slept until you stole something, and then they got up, frightened the life out of me that did, especially since I had no holy water (I guess I'm naturally jumpy).
    Thanks, ProjectX, that's just the ticket. The very first zombie I looked at in that mission had the DOC3_ZombieInPossumModeOnMapstart script, which is very simple:
    When map starts, arriving from a different map
    Apply [8.00] units of stimulus [StimulusType_Blunt] to linked object(s) [MYSELF]
    which basically "kills" the Zombie up front, so he starts off playing possum (assuming the rest of the possum properties are set up correctly).

Thanks again!

Trigger script upon entering volume is nonfunctional

I've placed an ordinary volume in my map, and given it a script that's supposed to trigger when the player enters it. The condition I'm using is:

- Query if linked volume(s) MYSELF contain the linked object(s) at end of PLAYER

But it isn't working. I walk into the volume in-game, and nothing happens, either in debug (Play Level) or non-debug (Send to Xbox) modes. I've set up such silly actions as "change the health state on all linked objects PLAYER to HealthState_Dead" and "activate screen tinting to 255 0 0 128" - but there's no response.

The script is on the volume via the Scripts->Triggerscripts property, and I've tried rebuilding all and saving the scripts multiple times. I've also tried the condition "When linked volumes MYSELF are breached by Category_Player". Nothing I do can get anything to happen when I enter the volume.

Similarly, I experimented with creating a separate DeathWaterVolume elsewhere. Entering it produces water splashes, but Garrett's health remains untouched!

Any ideas?

When linked volumes [MYSELF] are breached by [Category_Player] works for me - it's how the bookcase gets closed and the mission ended and the City watch ran in and up the stairs and the girl came out of the room in Townhouse. (So it got used rather a lot)
    They were just normal volumes with a triggerscript attached to them (and links, mostly TriggerScriptLinks to what/who they tirggered). They were never linked to the player though.

Why it isn't working for you? Not a clue I'm afraid, since you've already rebuilt the bsp.

It's quite a simple answer, but you'd have had to have experimented a lot to find out about it. there are two types of condition, the "Query if..." and the "When...".

A "When..." condition will fire the action as soon as that condition is fulfilled.

A "Query if..." condition requires a when condition to have fired all ready, it's like saying "do these actions if this is script is fired, but only if ... is true"

Change your Query if to a When and it'll work.

It took me a while to understand the difference between those two.

The reason why your script isn't working could also be a result of a broken action. I believe, for example, that the action Deactive screen tint isn't working at all. Atleast I don't see a difference when my script tries to deactivate it.

I did try "When" first, but it didn't work either.

It turns out that I needed to save the scripts by clicking the OK button (or the Save Aand Refresh button) on the trigger script editor before they would update in-game. I didn't think that was necessary, as it had always seemed to work without doing that before.

Anyway, changing it back to "When", explicitly saving the scripts, and then rebuilding the level makes it work. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    Similarly, I experimented with creating a separate DeathWaterVolume elsewhere. Entering it produces water splashes, but Garrett's health remains untouched!

You need to add a stim to the DeathWaterVolume for it to kill you (have a look at the dockside OM's )

Quote Originally Posted by Gonchong
    You need to add a stim to the DeathWaterVolume for it to kill you (have a look at the dockside OM's )
    I found that adding a stim by itself doesn't kill the player. You need a volume script:

When linked volumes(s) [MYSELF] are breached by [Category_Player]
    Apply [999.00] units of [StimulusType_Crushed] to link object(s) [PLAYER]

I see. That should really be set by default, but oh well.

(I'm not going to actually use death water in a serious FM unless forced, at gunpoint - I was just trying to provoke some kind of reaction from the game. But it's good to know how it works anyway.)

totally stupid question I know but rope arrows and swimming ...

Any of the DS developers know about rope arrows ? what were the major problems, is it completely impossible to do or was it lack of time that prevented their inclusion same questions for swimming too

I can't get the editor to work iv followed the instrunictions from the wikipedia and iv got the thief 3 launcher but when ever i try to load the editor nothing happens. It seems to load and it says T3.exe is loaded in the task managers processes but nothing actully comes up.

Is it better to select all BSP and add the castshadow=false property or to select all surfaces and check the "do no cast shadows" box?

I have been doing it as I go along, but I think when I have everything done, I will again set everything not to cast shadows and then go through turning things on, but is there much differece between these two settings, and will one mess up the other?

Oh, and Emoo, are you able to run the game ok using the the Thief Launcher? Could there be an error message behind a window, or is there any windows error sound or anything?

Bardic - I don't think the bsp brushes with the property castshadow=false property work.
    I might be wrong, but using the select surfaces and surface property "Do Not Cast Shadows" checkbox definately works - I tend to just build one cube, select all the faces of it (Shift+B) and set the property, then clone the brush (CTRL+W) and texture it properly.

Iv got 2 differnt installs one for the game and one for the editor the game one works fine, and even the editor can run the game but the editor itself wont load up it just loads a process in the task manager called T3.exe when i try and run it.

do you use dracflamoc's T3 launcher?

I just ran the editor on this computer here, and it is a bit slow. I had the T3.exe in task manager for about 30 seconds before a T3ed.exe showed up, and it took maybe another 20 seconds for it to pop up the editor window.

I assume you have left it for a few minutes just to see if it really takes a long time on your setup. What Video card and maybe other hardware (CPU speed and Ram) do you have?

You also may just want to delete the Thief3edit folder and re-copy your thief folder, extract the editor Zip again, overwrite the 4 files it asks about, edit the user.ini, and make sure Thief3Launcher is still set to the correct directory. This editor can be a little fickle.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectX
    do you use dracflamoc's T3 launcher?
    yes I am using it, ill try what Bardic said and see if that works hope it does.

[Edit] Well reinstalled the editor and still no luck. I can use dracflamoc's launcher to load the game but if i try and load the editor T3.exe appears in the processes menu in the task manager for about 30 secs and the gos away, nothing else seems to happen.

And Bardic my system specs are:
    Windows XP home
    MotherBoard AV8 (VIA K8T800P-8237) 1.x
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    1.5 gig ram
    RADEON 9600
    Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
    Last edited by Emoo; 6th Sep 2005 at 14:00.

My biggest problems have been video card related. The Sis onboard wouldn't run anything, kept bouncing back to the desktop. The Geforce 2 at least said No Pixel Shader, the Geforce 3 Ultra and the Geforce 4 worked correctly. Maybe someone else with an ATI card has some ideas.

Anyone know how to remove the collision hull on an object after it is placed? If I check the "none" box in the Static Mesh browser before I place it, it works alright to place then resize a smesh.

I've copied my level to another computer with the editor and all the smeshes I shrunk now have their collision hulls back. I think I tried finding and setting the property but never had any luck with it.

Page 22 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27121718192021222324252627323742475257626772 ... LastLast