TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Improving some low-quality original objects?

I guess you could extrude the gold detailing a bit, but too much and it'll start looking overly-detailed for dark engine models. Plus, you might run into reskinning issues with FMs, such as currently happens when some of the new 3d panel doors get reskinned.

It's been a while since I last created any content for dark, but I'll try to refresh my memory and maybe give a new chest model a go. I'll try to take the reskinning issue into consideration.

Please excuse my ignorance, but is there a guide on how to add these great objects to thief 2?

Install the released version of the EP. Instructions are included.

Improved holy water texture:

(+ slightly tweaked model)

http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/holy_water_vial.7z

Hmm, do you think that vial is meant to be triangle-shaped, or should it be "upgraded" to be more rounded?

I think the triangle shape is okay.

Classical Master 2008
    I think it's intentional. Healing potions, speed potions and holy water all have different shapes - only breath is a retexture, but it isn't even used so much.

Calling graphics artists

I'd really love to see an organised effort to replace all the terrain textures with high resolution updates that are completely true to the originals.

It would be a huge amount of work, and creating high-quality textures like that is beyond my skill level. There are also a number of object textures that still need recreating.

I'm a bit disappointed at how few contributions have been sent my way since the first release. Very little progress has been made since then - I threw together a few new models and updated one or two textures, and also brought many of the ones I'd made earlier up to 512x512 or 1024x1024, but that's about it.

Are there no graphics artists with the skill to pull something like this, and enough free time to contribute a few textures to this project?

Would it be worthwhile asking around in ThiefGen or even on other forums?

Did you want my gargoyles? You never said.
    GargChickMoss..jpgGargoyleCk..jpgGargoyleWtrSpt..jpgGargwsMoss..jpg

Also my skeleton part replacements.

Do you have a comparison screenshot of that gargoyle compared to the original?

I think the skeleton models were pretty good, though I didn't look at them in-game myself. IIRC they were very close to the originals, so yes, send those on. Did they have 512x512+ textures?

This thread has the skeleton parts, the skeleton AI, and images of both.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    OK. HERE are the "final" results of my bone and skeleton AI work for your use. If you have any problems let me know.
    I don't have side by sides of the gargoyles. I don't remember any more if I need to rescale them to match. Let me check. There are with moss and without moss textures. 256x256 only.

Here is one, GARGOY, next to the original. I can make it as dark, I guess, and higher contrast ... moss or no moss?

GARGOY_XPARE..jpg

Hmm, the colours would definitely need some tweaking to turn that into a drop-in replacement. Do you have a comparison shot from underneath?

Um, I meant showing the face, as it would be seen from on the ground under the building it's sticking out of.

Oh.

No.

New bed textures:
    Single bed:

Bunk bed:

Those two images share a palette, but I'm sure they could share a palette with the existing EP textures, so here are the source files to make that process easier:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/bedding_src.7z

^ Those look great!

Thanks.

What's with the visible lines in the fabric? Looks weird.

Other than that, nice looking textures!

So, question for us folks that want to use these textures that have been posted as images on the forum....

How do we go about adding them to our EP since it's obvious that a new EP isn't coming out anytime soon? I'm assuming it's as easy as just copying the files into their proper places inside the EP.crf. *Of course, this requires that the images posted on here are in the correct format for the CRF.

The lines are part of a fabric texture. Without some sort of fake detail the textures look too much like a blurred version of the originals. Which to some extent is what they are.

The EP already has the fancybed object, but I've never been too keen on it. So yesterday I finally got round to making my own version:

The texture names aren't the same as the originals, so if you want to compare it with the original/current EP version, just rename my bin filename.

http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/fancybed.7z

http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/fancybed_source.7z

That was always one of the EP models which strayed a little too far from the original design. I think yours fits much better with the goals of "the same, but better".

Agreed, that's spot on perfect.

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334 LastLast