TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: 360 Framerate.

360 Framerate.

I'm surprised how smooth Bioshock looks on the 360, considering how great it looks.

There's a discussion going on over at Teamxbox, whether it's locked at 30 FPS or 60.

Can anyone involved with the game shed some light on this?

If it plays very smoothly, then I doubt it is locked at 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    If it plays very smoothly, then I doubt it is locked at 30.
    Games locked at 30 can appear smooth as silk. Like Gears of War, or Halo. As long as the framerate is consistent, it will feel smooth. You can tell the difference between 30 and 60, though.

My friend has seen a preview in an unofficial UK 360 mag listing the framerate as one of the bad points, understandable with SOOO much stuff going on .
    Well, i guess i first played ss2 at under 15 fps (on my p233 with 32 meg ram and a voodoo 3) so anything near 30 is a luxury for me

Irrational Games
    On the XBox 360 it is locked at 30 or 60 fps, depending on the situation. There is also an option to disable locking so you can play with the fastest possible framerate (though this may result in occasional "tearing").

The game has a very smooth framerate. The programmers put a ton of work into making sure the game could handle all the crazy combat situations you'll get yourself into (along with the resulting over-the-top visual effects) without hitching or slowing down.

-Chris Kline, Lead Programmer, Bioshock

Thanks for the response Chris, great to hear it from you

The one thing that worried me about all the action

Quote Originally Posted by ckline View Post
    On the XBox 360 it is locked at 30 or 60 fps, depending on the situation. There is also an option to disable locking so you can play with the fastest possible framerate (though this may result in occasional "tearing").

The game has a very smooth framerate. The programmers put a ton of work into making sure the game could handle all the crazy combat situations you'll get yourself into (along with the resulting over-the-top visual effects) without hitching or slowing down.

-Chris Kline, Lead Programmer, Bioshock
    Thanks for a great reply. I <3 Irrational

Irrational Games
    chris is too modest.

the build i showed on g4 and gamespot at e3 was from about 3 months ago. the actual game really has about zero frame rate issues, even when the action hits the level it does in the demo. Pound for pound, I don't think there's any game that has this level of physics, lighting, fire, ai, animation/ragdoll blending, and dynamic sound and keeps up the pace the way bioshock does. his team is insanely good, and the tech team led by rowan wyborn in australia is unstoppable.

That sounds kickass, hopefully the PC (assuming it meets/exceeds the recommended requirements) will get a stable framerate too.

yeah, panning on the pc with 30fps is more headache inducing than on consoles.