TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Andrew Ryan's voice actor

Andrew Ryan's voice actor

A while back after the first Bioshock trailer was released, Ken mentioned that we'd "never guess" who voiced Andrew Ryan. Now that the game has been released can anyone tell me who it is? I've pondered it a bit and frankly I'm stumped. Thanks!

Well, I can't say 100% for sure. I originally thought it was Ron Perlman, but no. I've seen the list of actors who provide voices, and I'm fairly positive it's Armin Shimerman (Quark of Deep Space Nine) doing the voice of Andrew Ryan.

I never considered that actor, because I didn't think he could lower his voice that much.

I would not call him an actor at all
    but his recitation skills seem to be very good if he is indeed Ryan.
    it's just that
    spoiler:
    the cast of all StarTrek subsidaries pale against Patrick Steward.

no offense
    spoiler:
    quark
    !

Moderator and Priest
    I've found a list of all the voice actors in the game. Unfortunately it doesn't say who does what, but it's the best link google came up with.

link

jtr7
    Um. It's the guy from A&E's "Biography".

Oh! And...

A.Ryan = Aryan.

I know, I'm slow. Sorry. Carry on.
    Last edited by jtr7; 22nd Aug 2007 at 01:03.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    A.Ryan = Aryan.
    Ha, I didn't actually notice that, but I did notice the letters brought Ayn Rand to mind. Not a palindrome but very very similar. Strange that I wouldn't see Aryan in that though ...

Andrew Ryan doesn't sound like Armin Shimmerman to me. If it is, he's done a mighty fantastic job.

J.R. Hertzler was pretty easy to spot though.

Ken has revealed who did the voices of Ryan and at least one of the Little Sister voices:
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...694#post160694

Indeed, Armin (a really sweet guy and an amazing actor) is Ryan and Juliet Landau, who played Drusilla on Buffy is the Little Sister. When Juliet did the "Mr. Bubbles, please get up" bits, it was almost unbearable to listen to. She really commits.
    Armin Shimerman as Ryan. Told you so.

ZylonBane
    Must say I'm surprised. The bit of the BioShock teaser where Ryan says, "So I ask you my friend..." sounded spot-on like Shatner.

Haha, Quark. Yeah, wouldn't have guessed that. I have to use my imagination to hear it, but it's there.

I wonder what the story is behind him getting cast, because he doesn't sound like someone you'd run to for that part.
    Must have been a good audition. He does a great job.

I wonder if there's any more people from Buffy hidden in there, besides those two.

J.G. Hertzler (General Martok in Deep Space Nine) is also listed, which is pretty cool.

I have no idea who that is, even after looking at pictures.

I have never been so happy.

Bioshock has the best voice acting out of any game I've played, hands down. Even Thief had a few amateurs (the servants, anyway), but the dialogue and acting in Bioshock is consistently great.

Well, what's weird is . . . you know that filmstrip that plays when you get trapped on the first level? The one where Ryan says: "So tell me, friend. Which one of the bitches sent you?" That voice does not sound like the one in the filmstrip in the Bathysphere, at all. I can picture Armin doing the voice in the Bathysphere, but not when the player is trapped.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    well keep in mind he's saying it in a very different tone. in the bathysphere he's taking on an optimistic tone- i mean he's basically doing a commercial for rapture. but that was probably made years previously, long before the splicer war. now he's a bitter, angry, suspicious old man.

I love his pompus tone in one of the logs you find in the Core, where he goes 'Un-de-niable'.

Quote Originally Posted by RarRar View Post
    Ha, I didn't actually notice that, but I did notice the letters brought Ayn Rand to mind. Not a palindrome but very very similar. Strange that I wouldn't see Aryan in that though ...

Yeah, "Ryan" = "Ayn R." and of course "A.R." initials both for Andrew Ryan and Ayn Rand.

Not sure but... anyone else think that the woman who does the voice for Tenenbaum was the same person who did SHODANS voice?

jtr7
    Terri Brosius?

Quote Originally Posted by MrGenesis View Post
    Not sure but... anyone else think that the woman who does the voice for Tenenbaum was the same person who did SHODANS voice?
    yep. i had that feeling from one of the first audio logs from tenenbaum, since the performance is almost identical to delacroix.

Possible eh ? Terri is damn good at what she does !