TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: A fix for those in need

A fix for those in need

Hello all,

I just found this amazing new addition to the Thief series - one of my favorite games of all times - and can't wait to play it.

I did discover something not mentioned on the forums, though. It's possible for Thief 2 to launch and play without problem while T2X craps out right at the start of the first mission. The cause of this is hyperthreading and has been addressed in another post. I know it seems counterintuitive that T2 would play and T2X wouldn't due to hyperthreading issues, but it is indeed possible; it stymied me for hours. It could be that I have this problem because I run Windows 2000 and not Windows eXPloitme ;-) but the fix takes care of the problem.

For those who don't want to search the forum for a fix, here's the quick and dirty:

- start the game and wait until you get to the menu
    - alt-Tab out and bring up the task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL)
    - find the thief2.exe process and right-click on it
    - choose 'Set Affinity'
    - unclick all but one of the processors (for you who'll soon have quads)
    - close down task manager and alt-Tab back into the game
    - continue on to mission 1

You'll have to do this every time you play the game. There's a more permanent fix on another thread in this forum.

And another note for those getting the black screen at the start of the game: it's possible that the paths in your darkinst.cfg file won't accept spaces in the path name. This was the case for me. You can probably just put the paths in quotes, but I did this and it took care of the black screen problem:

cd_path f:\
    install_path c:\progra~1\games\action\thief2
    language english
    resname_base c:\progra~1\games\action\thief2\t2x+c:\progra~1\games\action\thief2\res+f:\thief2
    load_path c:\progra~1\games\action\thief2\t2x+c:\progra~1\games\action\thief2+f:\thief2
    script_module_path c:\progra~1\games\action\thief2\t2x+c:\progra~1\games\action\thief2+f:\thief2
    movie_path c:\progra~1\games\action\thief2\t2x\movies+c:\progra~1\games\action\thief2\movies+f:\thief2\movies

f is, of course, where my cd/dvd is.

In any event, I hope that this proves of some use to people having problems. It worked for me and now I can play the game!

Max

Thanks, I'm going to try the T2X fix right when I get home. I hope it works!

I've had this problem, too and it made me give up on the game and put together an older machine, but I never got around to that. This might just help me out! Thanks!

I tried messing with the Darkinst file, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. Here's what's in my darkinst file...if somebody could tell me what to do to it, I would appreciate it.

cd_path D:\thief2\disk 2\
    install_path c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2
    language english
    resname_base c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2\t2x+c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2\res+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2
    load_path c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2\t2x+c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2
    script_module_path c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2\t2x+c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2
    movie_path c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2\t2x\movies+c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2\movies+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2\movies

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpublic View Post
    it's possible that the paths in your darkinst.cfg file won't accept spaces in the path name.
    might be the problem of your darkinst.cfg

The following should match your setup:
    Code:
    cd_path D:\thief2\disk2~1\
    install_path c:\progra~1\Lookin~1\Thief2~1
    language english
    resname_base c:\progra~1\Lookin~1\Thief2~1\t2x+c:\progra~1\Lookin~1\Thief2~1\res+D:\thief2\disk2~1\thief2
    load_path c:\progra~1\Lookin~1\Thief2~1\t2x+c:\progra~1\Lookin~1\Thief2~1+D:\thief2\disk2~1\thief2
    script_module_path c:\progra~1\Lookin~1\Thief2~1\t2x+c:\progra~1\Lookin~1\Thief2~1+D:\thief2\disk2~1\thief2
    movie_path c:\progra~1\Lookin~1\Thief2~1\t2x\movies+c:\progra~1\Lookin~1\Thief2~1\movies+D:\thief2\disk2~1\thief2\movies
    Just out of curiosity could you post the contents of your darkinst.cfg in the thief2 folder? During the install of t2x that file is copied and adjusted to fit t2x's needs, but it seems kinda weird that thief2 does work and t2x won't, even though the original darkinst apparently features spaces.

Sure, here it is. I'm going to go try that Darkinst setup you just posted.

language english
    resname_base c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2\res+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2
    load_path c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2
    script_module_path c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2
    movie_path c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2\movies+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2\movies

Edit

Dang, it didn't work. Still the same problem. I hear waves, but can't see anything for about 10 seconds, then it crashes and I get an error message.

Hnmm :/

I've been testing a bit and after some trial and error I noticed that I could duplicate your problem by removing the INTRFACE.CRF from the "Thief 2/res" folder. That file is needed for the fonts of the menu. So it could be that something is wrong with the file or the reference to its folder (resname_base). Or it could be that the file is corrupt.

If the file is there (in the "Thief 2/res" folder), try creating a copy and renaming the copy "INTRFACE.zip". Open the zip and check for the presence of ".FON" files. There should be 9 in total.

If that file is fine and you've tried all the stuff from the other thread, I'm out of options that could logically solve your issue. So..

If you're up to it, try uninstalling and reinstalling t2x.

If that does not work, try installing thief2 in "C:/games/thief2" (the original installer's default directory) and installing t2x there. That way your darkinst will match most darkinst files (or at least mine) apart from the cd path.

If that does not work there's either something special about your Thief2 version (what version is it btw? you've got an unusual cd_path), or something corrupt in your t2x installer (you could try and download it again and see if the files are identical).

I'll try reinstalling and installing to the default path after I beat Legacy of Calendra.

BTW, this version of Thief 2, I installed from a DVD. I have the disk version that I bought, but I also got a free version from Computer Gaming World some time ago. I just happened to use the DVD instead of the disk. I don't know if that would make my path weird.

My Thief 2 is on version 1.18.

What About Vista

I've got the same problem it goes black then kicks back to the desktop with an error message which just says there was a problem with the program please close, nothing else. NE1 know how to fix this problem i just installed it. I havent been playing it for about 2 years but it worked fine on my 98 but when i put in my new hard drive for 2000 professional it would not work then ither now i have a new comp and it wont work on vista ither ive tried the fixes for my video card it helped for T3 but nothing for T2 and yes ive tried your fix. No go.

ive been tring to get it to work its driving me crazy and no ive actually been a member since the first one came out (not gold). its just when i was able to come back to the board it wiped my reg info in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpublic View Post
    There's a more permanent fix on another thread in this forum.
    where?

Quote Originally Posted by Eother View Post
    Sure, here it is. I'm going to go try that Darkinst setup you just posted.

language english
    resname_base c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2\res+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2
    load_path c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2
    script_module_path c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2
    movie_path c:\program files\Looking Glass Studios\Thief 2\movies+D:\thief2\disk 2\thief2\movies

Edit

Dang, it didn't work. Still the same problem. I hear waves, but can't see anything for about 10 seconds, then it crashes and I get an error message.
    Try the fix suggested above. Replace "Looking Glass Studios" with "Lookin~1". Replacing the spaces in the path names fixed the problem for me and I was able to get to the T2X menu, even though spaces in the path name didn't affect Thief 2 at all. It's a nonsensical fix but it worked.

And a p.s.: I lost my original Thief 2 CD a long time ago and got the "new" one, supposedly patched right up (now labeled 1.0a, I think). This could be the source of problems for some people. However, the things I did fixed these problems and I was able to play just fine - although I had to reboot to get the movies working correctly, after installing the video codecs.

Max

RDTravis, Have you tried Safe_texture_manager thing and patch for dual-core processors?

well i dont have a duel core prossesor cause that um option does not come up when i look at taskmanager. also i just tried that remove semicolon thing and its still does not work.

RDTravis:

Do you suffer the same issue as maxpublic (near random crashes while playing the game)? Or do you suffer the same issue as Eother (at start up a black screen is shown for a couple of seconds, followed by a crash)?

Either way: does Thief2 play as expected?
    • If not:
      try to get that running first, only then try T2x. A lot of issues are addressed in this thread. And, as I understand, recent drivers for certain NVidia cards may cause issues as well.
    • If so:
      • If you're suffering from maxpublic's issue:
        Make sure your system is indeed without hyperthreading/multicore capabilities. Recently bought computers often do feature these technologies.

The options maxpublic mentioned are featured under the "Processes" tab. Right click on the Thief2 process (NB this is probably called "THIEF2.ICD", but later versions of Thief2 might have a different setup), select "Set Affinity" and deselect all but one CPU like maxpublic described.

• If you're suffering from Eother's issue:
        Could you post the contents of two files:
        the darkinst.cfg in your Thief2 folder
        and the darkinst.cfg in the t2x folder (this folder should be in your Thief2 folder).

Also, would you mind writing your posts using normal capitalization, punctuation and spelling. It makes them much easier to read. Thanks.

T2 finally works

Ok at first my problem was with T2 itself. I deleated everything from the folder (moving my missions folder elsewhere, as well as the zips for the patches needed.) Then I reinstalled then patched the T2, then unziped convict.osm back into the folder and then unziped dromed118 back into the folder and it now works fine. I think it was the Convict.osm that was keeping the original game from working.

Now I have a problem with T2X

It started just fine, and I got started the first mission then it went black and stopped responding as it went into the first mission. Which one is it. How Do I fix it????

Quote Originally Posted by RDTravis View Post
    Which one is it.
    Well if you saw the menu screen then you're not suffering from Eother's menu screen issue.

However, it might be that you're suffering from the issue maxpublic described: The hyperthreading/multicore issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RDTravis View Post
    How Do I fix it????
    To fix that, read maxpublic's first post and keep in mind that you need to select the processes tab in the task manager. And right click on the process called "thief2.icd".

But it might be something else; What exactly do you see before the screen goes black? Do you catch a glimpse of the game, or did the screen just go black after the objectives/loader screen?
    Last edited by addink; 5th Oct 2007 at 16:18. Reason: typo

It is not just with TX2 its with Thief 2 also. After the load screen i see a flash of the desktop and it goes black like its going to start up then hangs nothing the Task Manager says that thief2 has stopped responding.

BTW when i look at taskmanager while the game is running under process i do not see that thief2.icd just thief2.exe to fix it.
    Last edited by RDTravis; 5th Oct 2007 at 16:45.

It could be the texture memory thing:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...#texturememory

If not, browse through the other options mentioned in that FAQ.

If you can't get it to work, it could be a video card / video driver issue (not my expertise).

Anyway, for Thief2 issues it's best to ask for help in this forum:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153
    Clearly describe what happens when the error occurs and mention your operating system, and the video card and video driver version you're using.

-

If there's no "thief2.icd" process to select then I think you can assume the "thief2.exe" is the process to alter the affinity for.

Quote Originally Posted by addink View Post
    It could be the texture memory thing:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...#texturememory

If not, browse through the other options mentioned in that FAQ.

If you can't get it to work, it could be a video card / video driver issue (not my expertise).

Anyway, for Thief2 issues it's best to ask for help in this forum:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153
    Clearly describe what happens when the error occurs and mention your operating system, and the video card and video driver version you're using.

-

If there's no "thief2.icd" process to select then I think you can assume the "thief2.exe" is the process to alter the affinity for.
    I've done everything including that permanent fix patch I do not have
    a thief2.icd file. Am i missing it should i get it from someone. If i am missing it Could that be the problem.

No, that seems highly unlikely.

I assume you don't have the original Thief2 disk, but rather a later version: either a budget edition, part of a thief bundle or perhaps a version that came on a disk with a magazine.

The original Thief2 featured a copy protection that used two processes: the laucher ("thief2.exe") and the game process ("thief2.icd"). If another copy protection was used you should not expect to find the "thief2.icd" process.

If you CTRL-ALT-DEL to the taskmanager when you see the menu, the correct process should be using some processor time (CPU). If in your case "thief2.exe" uses some CPU than that is the correct process to set the affinity for.

-

I noticed your post in karstenpontoppi's T2X issue thread. But that's probably not the best place to post the question you're asking, since most people will assume the thread is about T2X issues and not about a Thief2 issue, the kind of issue you're dealing with.

Browse through the legacy gaming forum and see if anything matches your issue. If you find nothing: Start a new thread with a title clearly stating the problem and hopefully some knowledgeable people can advise you on the situation.

By the way, if I had to guess, I'd say you suffer from an nVidia issue. But not being an nVidia user, nor a Vista user, I might be completely off.

No it is the original game. I got it as soon as it hit the shelves years ago. Remember that was over 5 years ago. I have the whole set no specials put out, nothing but the originals. Ive done the same thing for The Sims, Kings Quest, Sim City and Quest for Glory, I have tried to do the same thing for Everquest, but had to settle for having only 8 expansions not all 13 and had to get the Anniversery Edition. That is my thing I collect the full set beginning to end.

Ok, could be a Vista thing that it won't show the "thief2.icd" process then. But there should be some way of it being listed in the Processes tab, since it should be there.

Also, do note that (at least in XP and prior versions of windows) the processes are not sorted in an obvious manner, so the "thief2.exe" process and the "thief2.icd" process don't need to be near to each other. So check the full list.

Yea I think it is a Vista thing. My T3 wont work ither it is asking that i use the original disk instead of a back up even though it is the original disk. Go figure. It is not recognizing it. On my other comp it recognizes T3 no problem.