TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Box by ghost_in_the_shell Nov 25 2007

The Architect

The Box by ghost_in_the_shell Nov 25 2007

Grab it here:
    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=1267

Additional mirrors forthcoming - as is a database entry. Forum users get first dibs over website visitors on this one!

Readme: http://208.49.149.120/ThiefFMs/readm...1.0_ReadMe.txt

An informer brought me a message that someone required my services. I agreed to have a meeting in one of the City’s crowded taverns. You can never be too cautious, and it’s easy to use the inn’s „atmosphere” to remain unseen, while judging whether the waiting client is not just a bait from the Watch, for example...

It was a woman. Her face hidden in the shadow of a gray traveling cloak’s hood. I did not sense any trap. The job turned out to be a little more suspicious than the employer...

I was to get into a small merchant quarter and steal a grey, wooden box from one Archibald’s store. The woman said nothing of the box’s content. When asked if she wasn’t afraid that I would find out on my own, she said it was impossible. According to her words, the box has no visible lock – and this is how I would recognize it. She claimed there was no way I could make it open. Well, I will see for myself when I find it...

Two things seemed suspicious in this case...

First – the rush. The woman will pay for the mission only if I return with the box this night, before dawn. There is no time for reconnaissance, studying maps or planning. I’ll have to rely solely on my thief’s instincts.

Second – the payment. 10 000 gold pieces! For burgling a humble store, looting which would have never come to my mind – much too much. Experience teaches not to trust those, who promise too attractive rewards...

However, I have accepted the offer. I’m going to keep my eyes and ears open, though. Even if there’s more to this case than I’ve been told, I hope that my cleverness and experience will get me out from any tight corners.
    Thanks ghost in the shell!

woohoo, great mission! I am stuck though...

The shop door has blown up, I've knocked out all the thieves, I've got the windowsill key and the bunch of keys, but no other keys. There's one door left that I can't open: next to the fountain at the start. My only remaining objectives are to go to the post office & the loot objective (900). There's some gates beyond the lever-controlled portcullis that don't seem to open - is this where I need to go? And any hints on hard-to-find loot would be great!

Thanks!

Thanks for assistance Digital Nightfall!

Finally I managed to release my small T2 mission

I'm very happy that I can share it to you. I want to thank to everyone who helped me learn how to create a mission in Dromed, who helped me finish the mission, release it, or who's work (objects, voice, textures, custom scripts etc.) improved the quality of The Box.
    And thanks for my friend Feanor, who translated the mission into english - without his help mission will be probably totally incomprehensible. He knows this beautifull language much better then I do.
    Last edited by ghost_in_the_shell; 25th Nov 2007 at 20:45.
    "Reliance upon others is weakness for the strong, but strength for the weak. Wisdom and balance lie in knowing your own nature over time"
    The Box, WL

Hello nicked
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    There's one door left that I can't open: next to the fountain at the start.
    This door can be opened with a key well hidden by one of the guards (the one with a letter on his belt - read the letter to know more why he did it). It's quite difficult to find this key, especially on expert. But it's not requaired for finishing the mission.

My only remaining objectives are to go to the post office & the loot objective (900). There's some gates beyond the lever-controlled portcullis that don't seem to open - is this where I need to go?
    Yes, you have to get behind the portcullis to finish the mission when you fullfill other objectives. Portcullis doesn't work? doesn't open when you use a lever next to it?
    EDIT: Ah, I misunderstood your question! No - you don't have to get behind this metal gates. Only to the area with the statue where this gates are. But you have to fulfill the loot obj. and other objectives first.

And any hints on hard-to-find loot would be great!
    With loot objective 900 you have two options:

spoiler:
    1)Find almost all regular loot in the mission (yeah, it might be difficult, try to find some areas you didn't explore yet, maybe you missed something)

2) Find some hidden loot - there are 2 special places that contains additional loot (2 secrets)
    Last edited by ghost_in_the_shell; 25th Nov 2007 at 20:34.
    "Reliance upon others is weakness for the strong, but strength for the weak. Wisdom and balance lie in knowing your own nature over time"
    The Box, WL

ok thanks for the help! Found the key eventually after going over that guard's patrol route inch by inch. I'd also missed a bottle of wine under the landlord's desk!

All in all, a fun and intriguing mission! I look forward to part 2!

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    I'm aready stuck almost at the beginning. I think I went everywhere in the first group of buildings. I have the keyring, but I didn't find a key for the door left to the fountain and I didn't find a key for the double doors in front of the nice double metal gate.
    Also, I didn't meet a single thief.

Any hints please?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rowena View Post
    I'm aready stuck almost at the beginning. I think I went everywhere in the first group of buildings. I have the keyring, but I didn't find a key for the door left to the fountain
    Some info about that door near the fountain is included in my answer for nicked - see above

and I didn't find a key for the double doors in front of the nice double metal gate.
    That's O.K. You need to find some other way. This gate isn't openable with any key, you will see

Also, I didn't meet a single thief.
    They will come You need to progress in the mission a bit and then they will surely come...

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    Oooops, I must be blind. I didn't see the window sill key.

Edit: I just went a little further......

Sorry to be so silly........the only way in seems to be the double wooden doors above, but how is one supposed to go up there? Even that beam above the doors is iron....
    I tried crawling along the molding, but I keep falling down.....
    Last edited by Lady Rowena; 25th Nov 2007 at 22:04.

I'm with you, Rowena, that part has me stumped at the moment...

Same here. And the door isn't that shiny. And where is the guards key?
    Last edited by ganac; 26th Nov 2007 at 03:23.

To get into the shop, you DO need to crawl along that tiny ledge at the top of the rotted wooten stairs. It's an absolute bitch and I kept falling. The trick is to look toward the wall and up, and then inch left carefully. Once you're under the wooden doors, you can mantle it.

Hey, Brother Renault - thank you very much for mirror at southquarter

@ganac: The guard's key is hidden in different locations at each difficulty level, on normal and hard it's near the guard's patrol route as nicked mentioned - on expert it's not near his route, and it's hideout is I think hardest to find. I can write the exact locations or some hints about it's locations later if you want. Spoiler tags will keep it secret

Can the
    spoiler:
    watcher or the light in the shop be turned off?

I should be working now you know!

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Can the
    spoiler:
    watcher or the light in the shop be turned off?
    Yes. Follow the yellow wire to find the lever at it's end. There is also a switch for the lights in the shop You also can try to find out what will happen later if you leave the watcher and lights on.

I should be working now you know!
    I should study to prepare my master's thesis now, you know?

But we both know what's important in life, don't we.

I didn't see anything looking at that lead but will try and grow a few inches! Will also try the alternative suggestion!

Ah! See what you mean now, no further inches required.

Has anyone found any other way
    spoiler:
    of getting into the shop - besides using that ridiculous, microscopic ledge?
    I'm sorry - I know this is the designer's first release - but there's just no excuse for such an irritatingly-difficult piece of design.
    In lieu of an alternative, I'll just have to bin this one - & I hate doing that!

I haven't been able to find the box. Possibly because I was dumb enough not to follow instructions regarding gen.osm!!

@ Sticky Fingers. I managed it the first go after a few tries but I've now restarted on expert and I can't do it at all now even after 20 tries. Its getting past the first half inch that's the ***** . P'raps someone could send you a savegame?
    Last edited by nickie; 26th Nov 2007 at 07:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    Has anyone found any other way
    spoiler:
    of getting into the shop - besides using that ridiculous, microscopic ledge?
    I'm sorry - I know this is the designer's first release - but there's just no excuse for such an irritatingly-difficult piece of design.
    There is no alternative. There was an alternative designed, but It was cut off while missions building progressed due to some other neccessities. Sorry for that, but the ledge is the only way. Try to pass this part using nicked's tip posted here. I hope it helps.

It's definitelly doable, but difficult, I am aware of that Sorry that my design disappointed you

EDIT:

I haven't been able to find the box. Possibly because I was dumb enough not to follow instructions regarding gen.osm!!
    Unfortunatelly gen.osm problem might be a cause. Did you met any thieves in the mission? If not that means objectives didn't work properly, and that surely means that the gen.osm instruction applies to your Thief install You should follow this instruction, I don't know if it's possible to switch the .osm file and play game saved earlier, so maybe you will need to start over. I'm not so good in technical issues to say.
    I managed it the first go after a few tries but I've now restarted on expert and I can't do it at all now even after 20 tries.
    As far as I know there is no differences in this task at different difficulty levels, maybe you just became tired with this stupid ledge. Sorry for this part, I will try to avoid this kind of situations. As I wrote earlier there was an alternative way planned, but it was lost in the mission building process.
    Last edited by ghost_in_the_shell; 26th Nov 2007 at 07:54. Reason: Answered nickie's post, avoided doubleposting...

Ok, got in :-
    spoiler:
    getting on the first bit of the ledge seems to be the hardest part. If you rope-arrow into the top of the wooden stairs & fluke a jump onto the ledge a few "feet" from the end, then nicked's advice (thank-you) will get you there.

Actually, ghost-in-the-shell, I've been thoroughly enjoying everything else about this mission - but my opinion about that one thing doesn't change.

nickie: hope this helps.

So, back to it...

Thanks to you both - stubborn too are you Sticky Fingers?

Right, back for another go with new method.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    Ok, got in :-
    spoiler:
    getting on the first bit of the ledge seems to be the hardest part. If you rope-arrow into the top of the wooden stairs & fluke a jump onto the ledge a few "feet" from the end, then nicked's advice (thank-you) will get you there.
    In my opinion it's better to try it another way, it's what I adviced to one of the testers and I think it somehow helped:
    spoiler:
    You should try to run onto the ledge (not jumping or walking slowly - this causes me to fall down)holding forward and right direction on keyboard (starting from the top platform of the wooden stairs). Window in the end of the wall is unlocked so you can open it and mantle into the shop when you reach the end.

But this method can't be used sometimes, if you use different settings for movement (I know there are several methods of moving with mouse and keyboard)...

I hope it helps though.

A great debut, definitely.
    Have you already started working on part 2 ?

You're testers must be good! I can now get onto it every time by walking as far out as I can on the platform, turning to face the wall with my back against the rail bit, lining my gem slightly to the left of the doorway and running. But unfortunately that's as far as I can get. As soon as I start moving I fall off every time and I'm trying every key combination I can think of. I'm sure I'm not any fatter than I was 3 hours ago when I first did it!

I may well be launching a savegame appeal myself.

In desperation I went back to a normal level savegame whilst about to mantle up and in but with the proper gen.osm so new objectives were triggered. And I'm on my way again.
    Last edited by nickie; 26th Nov 2007 at 09:04.

Nice small FM. Great atmosphere and music. Placing of the last key on expert is devilish !!! I'm looking forward to second part.

Where's
    spoiler:
    Debtors Registry
    ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast