TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 35 1234561116212631 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

After nearly a year of development, I'm happy to announce that the first beta of the Thief 2 multiplayer patch has finally been released.

Current version download:
    Build 218

Source code:
    Forum Post

Previous versions:
    Build 210
    Build 210
    Build 205

Installation instructions and further information can be found in the readme.

Please keep in mind that this is a beta. Not every feature has been implemented yet, and there are still numerous problems with multiplayer games, ranging from minor cosmetic issues to game-breaking ones. All in all, multiplayer is still quite rough.

I strongly recommend that you read the list of known issues in the readme before playing. The multiplayer patch has only been tested by a limited number of people so far, so it is entirely possible that you'll run into some problems that I am not aware of yet, however. You should definitely expect the game to crash on occasion and to encounter some strange problems. Be sure to save the game often, particularly on longer missions.

Most of the original missions are playable without major issues in multiplayer. Generally, the earlier and less complex missions (such as Running Interference) work better than later ones. Workarounds for missions that have unusual problems can be found in the readme. Fan mission compatibility will vary -- some may work perfectly, and others may require modification by their author(s) to work properly in multiplayer.

If you are currently using ddfix or the widescreen patch, you will need to apply them again after installing the multiplayer patch, but they should work properly with it from that point on.

With all of that said, have fun! If you encounter any problems with the multiplayer patch that are not listed in the known issues, please do let me know.
    Last edited by Tos; 4th Oct 2013 at 00:24.

jtr7
    Congratulations!

...And thank you.

Now we just need someone to make FMs that tap the potential of multiplayer, as_well as creating a virtual "lab" to study the problems.

Congrats indeed. This is a milestone. Looks like my weekend is gonna be busy. Thanks for all your hard work, we know its rough, we don't care, we'll play!

OH. MY. GOD.

Congrats on a release Tos.

Mirrors: I'd be happy to mirror this on my filefront account, with your permission of course.

Cool.

Sooo ... who's up for some coop?
    I'm game ... got a Skype account and some holiday free-time.
    Is there some protocol we should go through to get a coop game going? Just post our names ITT and expect a PM?
    (I don't really play multiplayer games, so I don't really know how they typically work...)

Edit: Back from the phuture... 'kay

Name: demagogue
    Email: Cade at trioptimum dot com
    Modem: Wireless
    Last edited by demagogue; 28th Nov 2008 at 23:45.

I think we should follow in the footsteps of trips multiplayer list (ss2)

Name: sNeaksieGarrett (not real name obviously)
    AIM: quadx17
    Xfire: quadx
    Modem: Wireless card

hey tos, i suggest telling this great news in your thief 2 multiplayer thread.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 4th Mar 2009 at 22:57.

Yes, you'll have to set up games through the forum or trade IP addresses with friends for now, much like SS2.

Eventually, I hope to implement some sort of global server to display a list of running servers, but that's a ways off. I started work on it a few months back, but decided against including it in the first beta due to the amount of time it will take.

I don't think there are any matchmaking services like GameSpy that would list servers for an unofficial project like this, though if anyone knows of any, please do tell me. It'd save me a huge amount of work.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    hey tos, i suggest telling this great news in your thief 2 multiplayer thread.
    I'll go ahead and do that now.

Keeper of FMs

Clearinghouse
    WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tos
    Eventually, I hope to implement some sort of global server to display a list of running servers, but that's a ways off.
    Yeah, that'd be awesome. I'd like to point out that a program called Hamachi (or I think it is now called LogMeIn) would help for those having trouble connecting with each other over the internet. So far I have only tried the beta at my house with two computers. Weird thing is that I can only host on one machine, the other one refuses to work.

Oh, and I should post a warning to those reading this thread. I would only give someone your IP if you trust that they will not try to hack you or something. That's the downside to having "IP connected" servers

So I've been testing out the beta with two machines at my house (playing co-op with myself, lol) and have come across a few things.

Bugs I found not listed in the readme file:
    1.) The sound can sometimes not be synchronized on both computers. Like I'll whack garrett on one computer, but I won't hear him being hit.

2.) You can actually damage your player friends. I don't know whether that is intentional or not, but I thought i'd mention it anyway.

3.) On the client's side (when I was playing Ambush! (testing it real quick)) when the host (me) knocked out a guard and hid him in the shadows, it appeared to the client (also me lol) that he was actually alive and well. The guard was just standing there. The client could not interact with the guard, nor did the guard do anything but just stand there. If the host player picked up the body he would vanish in thin air, and then when dropped he would reappear, still standing up, on the client side.

4.) Widescreen patch and this mod do not work. Ddfix can be reapplied but widescreen patch is impossible. The reason is because the widescreen patch .bat file will change the thief2.exe when choosing the re-install option after trying to use the thief multiplayer patched version. I tried hex editing in thiefmp.dll in its proper place on thief2.exe, but that does not work. I ended up making two thief "installs", one for multiplayer and one for regular play where I can still use the widescreen mod. HOWEVER, I did find a workaround. I remembered that ddfix (one of the older versions, not 1.3.11) had a custom resolution patch added into it. Well, I just installed 1.3.8 for my thief 2 and now I can have custom resolution (1280 x 800), ddfix applied, and thief 2 multiplayer applied.

5.) This is not necessarily a bug, I think it is just my machines' fault. When I host on one computer, and the other computer joins in, the second computer actually loads faster than the first, and gets to "in-game" before the host does.... I think this is by nature because the second computer is a faster machine than the host computer. I also noticed on top of this that the second machine patched with ddfix was having text overlay issues (such as the player name being stuck on the screen) I ended up fixing this by switching to a different version of ddfix. Now, this is not to say it will happen to anyone else, maybe it's more complicated than just ddfix and this beta. Who knows.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work so far Tos.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 29th Nov 2008 at 11:01.

Holy s***! I've been waiting to play this since it was first announced. Thief LAN parties here I come Great job!

Bugs I found not listed in the readme file:
    1.) The sound can sometimes not be synchronized on both computers. Like I'll whack garrett on one computer, but I won't hear him being hit.
    Actually, the cause of this problem is rather bizarre. In multiplayer, each player begins the game with all of the items that are linked to the mission's starting point, as usual. Unfortunately, the object IDs of those items are exactly the same for each player, and some odd things start to happen when the "same" object (even though they're really just duplicates) is owned by multiple players.

For some reason, this causes Garrett's pain sound to not be played when the host is hit by another player's sword. It is when the host hits someone else with their sword however, oddly enough. If all of the players have swords with unique object IDs, the problem goes away.

While the sound problem by itself is pretty minor, the shared object IDs are also what's causing throwable inventory items to not work too well. I tried to fix it a bit ago by having each player create new copies of the items linked to their starting point upon spawning (and thereby give them a new ID), and while this did fix the problem, it introduced some new ones that were actually worse than just leaving it unfixed.

This problem has me stumped at the moment. It can be worked around in fan missions by not linking objects to the starting point and instead allowing players to pick them up in game, but that won't solve it in the original missions and is a pretty clumsy fix. Hopefully I'll find some way to fix it eventually.

2.) You can actually damage your player friends. I don't know whether that is intentional or not, but I thought i'd mention it anyway.
    This is actually the default behavior of the game in multiplayer -- I didn't do anything special to enable it. I could stop it, but I didn't see any reason to (killing vort while we were testing was just too much fun, I guess). I can add an option to disable team damage in the future if people would prefer to have it off.

3.) On the client's side (when I was playing Ambush! (testing it real quick)) when the host (me) knocked out a guard and hid him in the shadows, it appeared to the client (also me lol) that he was actually alive and well. ...
    Yeah, this is the problem with body carrying that I mentioned in the readme. Other players will see all sorts of strange stuff once you drop the body. I haven't made much of an effort to fix it yet (it's been like this since day one) since there were more serious problems to fix. I may take a look at it now however.

Body carrying has been intentionally disabled for clients, but I left it in for the host because disabling it entirely would render some missions impossible to complete (Kidnap, and possibly some FMs). I don't advise using it unless you absolutely have to, though.

4.) Widescreen patch and this mod do not work. ...
    Hmm, that's a problem. I'd assumed that the widescreen patch just byte-patched the executable rather than replaced it.

The number of changes that need to be made to the .exe to apply the multiplayer patch are very small, so perhaps someone would be willing to create a byte-patcher for this if I don't get around to it myself.

Alternatively, I could add an option to the .ini that would patch the changes the widescreen patch makes into the game's memory at run time, but that would be up to the author of the patch.

5.) This is not necessarily a bug, I think it is just my machines' fault. When I host on one computer, and the other computer joins in, the second computer actually loads faster than the first, and gets to "in-game" before the host does....
    Some players may load faster than others, but the game shouldn't unpause until everyone's in game and synchronized.

Not sure about the text overlay issue, I haven't had that happen. I do most of my testing with an old version of ddfix that renders through DirectX9 (and also allows me to start the game in windowed mode, which has been a huge help). Player names do draw correctly for me when I'm testing in full screen with the latest version, though.

I may not be leaving this room for some time...

Might sound stupid... But is the Multiplayer patch onlt for Co-op play between two connected computers, or can you play it online?

Well... Im up for some co-op if I can get this thing working.

Name: .... Does this matter? xD Nah.. KarrasEvul at TTLG, Fozza at most game servers.
    Email: Garrett_foo AT hotmail DOT com
    Modem: Cable.. I think xD

BLIMEY...!!!

Well done that man - may I suggest you add a date to the thread title to give it more oomph!..

Also who/how are we going to host a thief game..? does one person do it and then other join, or can it be done on a stand alone server that people can join..? and if the latter who is gonna offer up a server for hosting..?

biker

Now THAT's an astonishment achievement and the proper way to celebrate the 10th anniversary. Thanks for all the great work, Tos!

Thanks for the responses Tos. That's weird about the object IDs....

This is actually the default behavior of the game in multiplayer -- I didn't do anything special to enable it. I could stop it, but I didn't see any reason to (killing vort while we were testing was just too much fun, I guess). I can add an option to disable team damage in the future if people would prefer to have it off.
    Yes, I think that would be a good feature to add, as it really does not serve much purpose in a co-op game unless your playing "every man to his/her self" and the other player is only getting in your way.

I'd assumed that the widescreen patch just byte-patched the executable rather than replaced it.
    Yes, I believe so. When you are installing the patch, a black window appears and shows "thief2.exe (266445 bytes)" or something like that and says whether the file has been patched or not. At first I thought it replaced the exe as it says something about restoring the backup when doing a reinstall. Anyway, I'm almost certain it is impossible to make this patch work with widescreen, but as I said, one can use an older ddfix that still had the unsupported resolution fix. (I used 1.3.8)

I should mention so I don't look like a complete idiot, have you successfully been able to use widescreen with it, Tos?

How could I have missed this???

Looking at the vids in the original thread, I have to say this is pretty exciting!

Should I post this in comm chat? You know.......just because. Yes glutton for punishment, I don't care, there are people in comm chat that do play thief. For those that might have missed this.

Congrats! Feels really good to get your first beta out the door doesn't it?

Clearinghouse
    Cool. Some screens here.
    Last edited by clearing; 1st Dec 2008 at 00:55.

DDfix and Widescreen patch applied without problems. I named the Multiplayer exe thief2mp.exe and I still get in game mode. However, I haven't tried "real" networking yet.